1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask a Fitness Model

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Noir., Jan 16, 2009.

1. turbozed

turbozed Senior member

Eggs don't have much of any EFAs.

I think a regular egg has about ~200mg of Omega-3s. That's not too bad.

An 'omega-3 egg' with grassfed chickens has a significant amount more. I'd say it's a pretty decent source. No EPA though. Just ALA and DHA.

2. lance konami

lance konami Senior member

Eggs are really overconsumed in this country. They should be treated like a delicacy.

3. danilo

danilo Senior member

Coffee / water with every meal.

Breakfast, big bowl of high fiber / protein cereal with prunes (600 calorie sized bowl). Maybe a banana on two slices low carb bread and peanut butter, maybe not, depends on how hungry I am.

Lunch, large boiled frozen chicken breast that makes two sandwiches on low carb bread, maybe 2 slices of cheddar cheese, non fat mayo, hot peppers.

Lunch 2? Pile of canned corn, black beans, kidney beans, peas, toss of sesame seeds, dried cranberries, vinegar, parmesan (salad bar stuff at work... beans are one of the only clean proteins available at work and I want veggies in my diet). If I eat a smaller bowl of this, I might add an Odwalla bar (protein version).

Dinner, a banana sliced across two organic peanut butter sandwiches on low carb bread. Each sandwich probably has 200 cal pbutter.

I'll sometimes eat some nonfat plain yogurt before bed with a dried fig or two for sweetness. If I do this, I won't eat the banana sandwich with breakfast.

I am pretty much hungry all the time. I don't know what that means. I feel I eat a lot. And I feel I have to concentrate on not eating for a while before I work our or I'll get sick.

You probably didn't want all this information. I will read your advice carefully, but I feel already aware that what I do is uh, disagreeable.

really sounds like you're not eating enough ... you should have some more chicken or fish. Your dinner really needs work. Eat a whole chicken breast or fish fillet and some vegetables. Sounds like you could add an egg or two in your breakfast.

You could also benefit from throwing some almonds around your snacks etc. I'm sure someone else may expand on your whole typical day.

4. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

My Diet...

Meal 1 (breakfast): 3 whole eggs, 1/2 cup egg whites, 1 whole wheat tortilla, 1/2 cup whole oats, 1 scoop Syntha-6, 1 cup skim milk

Meal 2 (snack): 1 sliced fuji apple w/natty PB

Meal 3 (pre-WO): 1 chicken breast, 1 cup whole wheat pasta, 1 cup raw spinach

Meal 4 (post-WO snack): 1 scoop isolate whey

Meal 5 (dinner): 1 chicken breast, 1 cup raw spinach

Meal 6: 1 cup fat-free cottage cheese

This diet has done wonders for me. Occasionally I have some more eggs after dinner depending on how I feel.

5. turbozed

turbozed Senior member

Good amount of protein, but where are your healthy fats?

Toss in an avocado or something. Lots of fiber too.

6. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Thank you for pointing that out. Fats are one thing that I've never really paid attention to. I only eat fat-free cottage cheese because it tastes better than 2% (in my opinion). I only drink skim milk because I've never drank anything else (honest to god truth). Maybe I'll start buying some 1% milk. Any other suggestions for health fats? I absolutely hate the texture of avocados (but I love guacamole, go figure).

I estimate that I get close to 250 - 300 grams of protein a day, but I try and spread it out evenly. I kinda OD with protein at breakfast, but my goal with breakfast is to have a BIG meal (and I succeed, you have no idea how hard it is for me to stomach the apple and then my lunch). I only have have a protein shake (Syntha-6 mixed with milk) because I think plain oats are disgusting and I take a bite of the oats and swig some protein to help it go down easier.

I bulked from mid-October to early January and went from 175 - 192ish. It wasn't a clean bulk either, but this diet posted above has helped me lose about 12lbs since mid-January (and this is without ANY cardio - I hate it). It's really done wonders for me.

Here's my current workout for good measure. I've been playing around with my rep scheme and it's been doing a good job of helping me bust through my current plateau

Monday
    Flat DB Press - 5x5
    Incline DB Fly - 4x10
    Resistance push-ups - 3x15
    Dips - 2x20

Tuesday
    Power Clean - 5x5
    Pull ups - 4x10
    Sup-grip bent rows - 3x15
    Pull-downs - 2x20

Wednesday
    Box squat - 5x5
    Sumo deadlift - 4x10
    Lunges - 3x15
    Leg extensions - 2x20

Thursday
    Push Press - 5x5
    Face pulls - 4x10
    Front raises - 3x15
    Shrugs - 2x20

Saturday
    Flat bench press - 1x100
    Squat - 1x100
    Curls - 1x100
    Side raise - 1x100
    Bent rows - 1x100
    etc

Saturdays absolute kill me. I use just the bar for bench and squats, 5lb dbs for curls, 3lb dbs for the raises, etc. It's MURDER. I'm also probably missing a lot of accessory exercises for my triceps, calves, glutes, etc, but I fit em in somewhere. I try and focus on compound lifts as much as possible.

7. BubblyMasquerade

BubblyMasquerade Senior member

8. turbozed

turbozed Senior member

Saturday
    Flat bench press - 1x100
    Squat - 1x100
    Curls - 1x100
    Side raise - 1x100
    Bent rows - 1x100
    etc

Saturdays absolute kill me. I use just the bar for bench and squats, 5lb dbs for curls, 3lb dbs for the raises, etc. It's MURDER. I'm also probably missing a lot of accessory exercises for my triceps, calves, glutes, etc, but I fit em in somewhere. I try and focus on compound lifts as much as possible.

What exactly are you going for on these low-weight high-rep exercises? Are you building muscle stamina for sports? I'm pretty sure low-weight high-rep for 'toning' has been debunked.

9. BubblyMasquerade

What exactly are you going for on these low-weight high-rep exercises? Are you building muscle stamina for sports? I'm pretty sure low-weight high-rep for 'toning' has been debunked.

i googled that shit, aparently its called the superman workout.

SOUNDS RETARDED.

10. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i've done the 100 rep thing. induces lactate, only real benefit i can think of

11. BubblyMasquerade

i've done the 100 rep thing. induces lactate, only real benefit i can think of

how long did the workout take. looks like fucking 2 hours.

12. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

well, i work fast so 100 reps takes @ 200 seconds. that said, not very long.

13. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Who ever said anything about toning? That's one word that isn't even part of my vocabulary. Neither is 'cutting', 'trimming', etc. That shit is for pussies. I'm in the gym to put on lean mass, simple as that. Fuck beach abs, fuck a Superfuture aesthetic, fuck being 5'11 150lbs with abs. None of that appeals to me in the least. I only do the 100-rep workout because I can't NOT go to the gym 3 days in a row (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) so on my off day I'd prefer to do something with low weights, but the only benefit you can get from something like benching the bar (45lbs) is if you're doing a ridiculous amount of reps. I'm not at the gym to waste time, I try and make the most of my hour or so in there. And it's not like I'm doing this every Saturday either. Maybe twice a month if that...

I was skeptical at first, but a gentleman at my gym (who's 65 and in better shape than anyone on this forum, guaranteed) put me onto this. He made me a bet and said I couldn't finish the workout. Needless to say, he won the bet. It's a humbling experience to say the least but it's a great way to bust through any plateaus because it maximizes muscle fibre recruitment. And the whole work-out takes half an hour, if that. I'm never in the gym for longer than 45 minutes regardless.

14. BubblyMasquerade

15. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

I was skeptical at first, but a gentleman at my gym (who's 65 and in better shape than anyone on this forum, guaranteed) put me onto this.

[​IMG]

16. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

You know, just because you can't do a workout someone else does, doesn't mean you're stronger or weaker or more or less fit than they are.

17. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Well I know for a fact that I'm stronger than him, but he can kick my ass at the Saturday workout. Who's more fit? I would say he is. I don't know too many people in their 60's that have done triathlons on this forum, but if there are any of you out there, speak up.

18. Kill_switch

Kill_switch Senior member

my physics teacher is a chick in her early 50's and she has placed in 4/5 ironman length triathlons.

19. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

I feel like I have stalled in my military press. It feels like I am being held back by my lower traps (right in the middle of my back between my shoulder blades) or possibly my rhomboids as opposed to my anterior delts. Should I just keep grinding away or should I do some additional back work? I'm alreading doing deads, pullups, and occasionally tbar rows.

20. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

bawlin - How many cals is your diet?

What are the preferred methods of consuming chicken? What's a good way to eat chicken when there isn't a means to cook it (ie - at work?). Does anyone eat precooked chicken?