• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask a Fitness Model

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yes, both, but i've taken shots of it for about 10 years.

JonB27

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Noir.
I've touched on it a bit but it hasn't been a focus in the thread because it's quite a bit easier. Many of the popular lifting programs are great.

I personally have had little luck with total body routines***, so I apply the big 6 as a primary lift whenever I do a routine. So if I have a chest/tri day, I'll have bench and dips. Shoulder presses, deadlifts & pullups, and squats on their respective days.

I'll get around and post a typical routine one of these days if there's any interest. General rules I follow tend to be big to small, and weak to strong. So if my chest is a weak point, I'll hit chest early in the week (perhaps the first workout) and have added calories. Start with a big compound movement (some type of press - usually either BB bench or incline DB bench), then end with crossovers or flies. Legs are a strong point, so I'll typically work them later in the week (or even biweekly - the bastards grow fast). I warm up with some kind of extension (light, maybe 2 sets?) to get the blood flowing followed by either squats or leg press (squats are preferable to me, but I have back issues and the leg press provides more support. have to listen to doctors... sometimes.) and end with something more isolated.

Diet will be key to staying lean, but expect to gain marginal levels of BF if you're trying to build muscle tissue. If you're worried, you can take shorter breaks or throw in additional cardio. Strength will be compromised if your breaks are too short, muscle will be compromised if your kcals are too low, and leanness will be compromised otherwise.
frown.gif
It's kind of a tradeoff where you just try to minimize the downsides. I've had look with a 5-day split and shortish rests (30-45s) for staying lean and still building some muscle, but I don't care about strength too terribly much any more.

With that said, push/pull or upper/lower splits might be an interesting/useful choice because you can let a muscle group rest while you work something else. (i.e. an upper day you could do chest, then back, then chest with shorter rests and perhaps lose less strength.) It's tough to say - find something that fits your schedule and looks fun/interesting, try it for 6 weeks and then come to a conclusion.

I might be able to add something if you could tell me what you're having problems with and what you're doing. If you're "in good shape" already, then it seems to be working
bigstar[1].gif

*** I think people new to the gym and women respond very well to total body training. New because it stimulates so many muscle fibers & you aren't used to it, so 3, or even 2, workouts per week let your system adjust more easily to the added stress. Women - I don't know if this is true but I've read they are more slow-twitch dominant & the higher load requirement for total body w/ compound movements somehow make it more efficient. Empirically, this seems to be true in my experience, with more advanced males responding better to some form of split training.

Thanks, this is very useful... It would be great if you could post a typical routine when you get a chance...

I guess my issue with strength is that I've pretty much haven't seen much of an increase with the weight I'm lifting so I figure maybe a change in my routine might help...
-I think my diet is not helping my muscle growth (I work 12 hr shifts very demanding job, sometimes when we have many calls to respond to we go a long time without eating)... Now the more I read through this thread the more I think that diet is my biggest issue.

I'm thinking maybe going to this split:
day 1-chest/back
day 2-legs/core
day 3-shoulders/arms
day 4-full body circuit

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
You guys eat so few calories

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
You guys eat so few calories

I'm somewhere between 4000 and 4500 depending on the day. Leaning out, too.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
refeed today:

2 waffles with a tsp on pb and 1 tspn maple syrup

2 cups oatmeal sweetened with splenda

8 egg omelelette with brocolli

metabolic drive with milk and oats

will be some sliders and wings later.

Noir.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JonB27
Thanks, this is very useful... It would be great if you could post a typical routine when you get a chance...

I guess my issue with strength is that I've pretty much haven't seen much of an increase with the weight I'm lifting so I figure maybe a change in my routine might help...
-I think my diet is not helping my muscle growth (I work 12 hr shifts very demanding job, sometimes when we have many calls to respond to we go a long time without eating)... Now the more I read through this thread the more I think that diet is my biggest issue.

I'm thinking maybe going to this split:
day 1-chest/back
day 2-legs/core
day 3-shoulders/arms
day 4-full body circuit

any reason for the FB circuit? If you're concerned about strength, perhaps do chest & back on separate days. (both large muscle groups - i'd imagine you'd tire quite easiliy. I've done a chest/back day before and, while it was alright, I didn't like it as well as some of the other splits) But if you're working long days and working out hard, you have to eat enough to let your body grow.

As long as the workout isn't absolutely silly, diet's almost always the issue
teacha.gif

Tally your kcals and see how much you're eating. You'd probably be surprised @ just how low the number really is.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
btw, after 4 full weeks, waist is at 34, weight is at 223 from 236, chest has gained .5 inches, arms .5 also. thighs at 28.75 from 27.75

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
after 7 or so days of living at a severe carb and calorie deficit, it is supposed to restore glycogen and potentially raise leptin levels.

Noir.

Reaction score
improves thyroid function as well. "resets" metabolic profile kind of.

wiscogooner

Reaction score
refeed fri night/yesterday:

PWO ABB Mass Recovery Grape shake (got for free at vitamin shoppe)
12 pancakes, 12 WG waffles w/ maple syrup
1 bowl Edy's FF/SF ice cream
1/3 reg size bag baked sour cream/cheddar ruffles
1 small bag Jack Links beef jerky
36oz lowfat choc milk
3 6oz chicken breasts

and had some pints on Friday night. not the best for a refeed but it was a friend's birthday.

an excess of carbs after doing a moderate to low amount for the last 8 months seriously screwed with my intestines. bloating, gas, etc. good thing the refeed isn't very often. I def didn't enjoy it.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Those lists are disgusting, even the word "refeed" itself is kind of nauseating.
laugh.gif

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
superbowl pigout wasn;t so bad. a few wings, a few sliders, white bean + chicken chilli w/tortillas, ships and salsa w/guac, a big ole' slice of organic carrot cake

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads