1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask a Fitness Model

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Noir., Jan 16, 2009.

1. Noir.

Noir. Senior member

^ that's only because it tastes bad :p

I don't like the RTDs either. The aftertaste is miserable. They're good for in between meals a week out if you're doing sodium manip bc they're sodium free, but god how i hate them...

proto-whey is pretty bitter too. It's an hydrosolate designed by some doctor for his kid who needed extra protein but also something very easily absorbable. Not terrible, but not great (better than isopure imo, but i'm not excited to drink it). They put it in their bars too and I quite like them when I'm in a bind.

2. lefty

lefty Senior member

on a separate note, my refeed (fucked up the last one and i'm feeling depleted) is sunday and i feel funny about eating all those carbs. anybody who's cycled carbs can confirm that all those pancakes and shit won;t ruin me?

Go spend $30 on UD2 which is what you're kind of doing, but fucking up with the fat-based refeed.

Or just start posting over there. You will dig it as much as SF.

lefty

3. Noir.

Noir. Senior member

Just got back from the gym & noticed a few things I find a bit interesting. (1) drink a lot of water. Not necessarily enough to start water flushing, but enough so you don't hold a ton. Shoot for ~1 gal/day. I was doing some tricep pushdowns to finish it out and noticed that even though I had been getting a bit leaner (oops! comment on that in (2)), my shoulder striations were much less visible. I have been slacking a LOT on my water intake and I tribute the change to simply holding more than I should. Also water fills you up if you have a tendency to overeat. Throw a full glass of water in between drinks and you'll limit calories from alcohol as well. (2) Even though my caloric intake has stayed roughly the same for the last 3 or so weeks, I've been feeling somewhat energized in the gym and having reasonably good workouts (upped my carbs slightly - been going out & eating a bit of junk food at restauraunts et. al.). I was changing shirts in the bathroom and noticed I was leaning out. whoops! Strength's moving up slowly so I'm not terribly concerned with it, but still it's kind of a shocker. I thought kcals were plenty high. Anyway the moral is cardio isn't essential as long as workout intensity is high and rests are short (I've always kept mine between 30-45s unless I'm doing something I suck at like BB bench), but diet has to be on point. Obviously if fat loss is a major issue though, cardio def. helps [​IMG] So what am I going to do about it? run sprints of course because it's an amazing day and I feel like being outdoors.

4. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

You guys are in 50x better shape than I am, but it seems the only things considered in some of these posts are food and results. Aren't there other factors in your life that can cause fatigue/extra energy? The OCD-ness to me comes in trying to track every cause and effect. Sometimes I'm just tired. Some times I just feel like I could run a marathon. <shrug>

5. Noir.

Noir. Senior member

^ that's why I eat the way I do and not a ketogenic or CKD. I feel perfectly fine with moderate-high carbs and very shitty without any. But that's energy related to food intake - there are of course days when I just don't feel like doing anything or when life gets in the way or whatever. On those days generally I say "fuck it" and do nothing or I get up and go workout anyway. Most of the time I just do it anyway.

And I believe you just got married? That explains why you're tired!![​IMG] [​IMG]

6. PolePosition

PolePosition Senior member

Hi Noir, you have presented alot of information here, still trying to process it all LOL.

Got an issue that I need to pick your brain about. I'm 5'9", currently 160lbs, with about 24-28% body fat depending on which online calculator is used, and a basal metabolic rate of 2100-2400 calories/day depending on which online calculator is used.

6 weeks ago I change my eating habits to eating 5 meals a day, decreased my daily caloric intake to about 1800 calories/day and lowered my carb intake. I also joined a gym and worked out using Bill Starr's 5x5 workout plan 3 days a week. For the first 4 weeks I lost 2 lbs a week and I have visibly lost body fat both in the face and in the gut (tape measured). I went from 166 to 158 lbs. In the past 2 weeks for some reason I've gained weight and now weigh 160 lbs. This really upset me since I've been working so hard to lose my fat and I don't think I've done anything different. Its possible I may be picking up extra calories or my metabolism has slowed down but even so I don't intake anywhere near my BMR's worth of calories.

Can you help me figure out what is going on?

7. Noir.

Noir. Senior member

comments in bold.
    Hi Noir, you have presented alot of information here, still trying to process it all LOL. Got an issue that I need to pick your brain about. I'm 5'9", currently 160lbs, with about 24-28% body fat depending on which online calculator is used, and a basal metabolic rate of 2100-2400 calories/day depending on which online calculator is used. have your bodyfat tested. Water submersion, bod pods, or even skin folds are going to be infinitely more accurate than an online calculatur I'd suspect, especially if it uses BMI or some form of it. I'm having trouble picturing anone your height & weight with that bf%. Most gyms will offer some form of testing for free on occassion. same with many nutrition stores. 6 weeks ago I change my eating habits to eating 5 meals a day, decreased my daily caloric intake to about 1800 calories/day and lowered my carb intake. I also joined a gym and worked out using Bill Starr's 5x5 workout plan 3 days a week. For the first 4 weeks I lost 2 lbs a week and I have visibly lost body fat both in the face and in the gut (tape measured). I went from 166 to 158 lbs. In the past 2 weeks for some reason I've gained weight and now weigh 160 lbs. This really upset me since I've been working so hard to lose my fat and I don't think I've done anything different. Its possible I may be picking up extra calories or my metabolism has slowed down but even so I don't intake anywhere near my BMR's worth of calories. grats on the new lifestyle. How much different do you look? With beginner gains, your body composition can change DRASTICALLY in a very short period of time - You may very well be putting on muscle if you're eating adequate protein & calories. It's counterintuitive but I can see it even happening even with a defecit where your body may be pulling from any excess fat stores. It doesn't stay like that for very long, though - a few months tops. Your body is probably just adapting to the sudden change in energy expenditure and diet. How do you feel? tired? energetic? groggy? To be completely frank, as long as you're eating reasonably well and on a good program, stick with it. Take your picture, give it 6 weeks and if you can't tell a noticeable difference, then re-evaluate. The mirror doesn't lie, but the scale can. Where are you eating your carbs throughout the day? I've mentioned it before but you'll want them in your first meal, PWO meal, and PPWO meal. On non-workout days split the total intake evenly between the first 3 meals. Unless you work out at night, a general guideline can be no starchy carbs after 6 pm (only veggies), and no sugar except in PWO meal. Can you help me figure out what is going on?
    Hope that helps. Let me know if there are any more Q's

8. RubberSoul

RubberSoul Member

Sorry I posted this in a seperate thread. I didnt see this one.

Hey guys,

I am 19 years old 6 ft 5 and 220lbs. I have been on and off training for three months now. My short term goal is to lose about 20 lbs and gain some basic strength.

My diet is in check and I workout 4 times a week and use all of these lifts: Deadlift, Bench Press, Squat, Powerclean ( Need help with form), Barbell Row, Dips, Chinups, Military Press,

Problems I am having:

1. Upperbody is much weaker than lower body. I can deadlift 315 and squat 225 but my bench press is stuck at 135lbs. I feel that my chest is weakest muslce group by far. Any input??

2. My right shoulder is considerably stronger than my left. This is making military pressing, and db pressing very dificult. For example, I know that i can db press 55's but my left arm cannot clean the dumbell to shoulder level. What can I do to catch my left shoulder up with my right??

3. Dips and Pullups/Chinups are almost impossible for me. I am not sure if this is because of my weight and/or height (6ft 5) or just because I lack the strength. I know that these movements are essential in gaining strength. I am currently doing negatives but it is not helping much. How can I increase my progress in these movements?

4. How the hell do I perform a safe powerclean? What muscles do i contract during the pull portion of the lift. When I read up on the lift everyone is saying to use your arms simply to hold the barbell. So if I am not contracting my arms, how do I move the weight from mid-shin level to shoulders??

Appreciate all input

Thanks

9. Noir.

Noir. Senior member

bold

Sorry I posted this in a seperate thread. I didnt see this one.

Hey guys,

I am 19 years old 6 ft 5 and 220lbs. I have been on and off training for three months now. My short term goal is to lose about 20 lbs and gain some basic strength.

tall bastards...

My diet is in check and I workout 4 times a week and use all of these lifts: Deadlift, Bench Press, Squat, Powerclean ( Need help with form), Barbell Row, Dips, Chinups, Military Press,

Problems I am having:

1. Upperbody is much weaker than lower body. I can deadlift 315 and squat 225 but my bench press is stuck at 135lbs. I feel that my chest is weakest muslce group by far. Any input??

long stems make bench harder. Try adjusting your grip if you have longer arms - move your arms outward. Most people put their ring finger on the non-rough spot. try moving to your middle or even index finger and see if it's more comfortable.

2. My right shoulder is considerably stronger than my left. This is making military pressing, and db pressing very dificult. For example, I know that i can db press 55's but my left arm cannot clean the dumbell to shoulder level. What can I do to catch my left shoulder up with my right??

work with the lowest common denominator until you catch up. by this I mean do your exercises with the amount of weight your left arm can perform. If you don't you'll likely only exacerbate the imbalance. There's mixed reviews as to whether BB or DB is better for fixing it - my vote goes to DBs heavy relative to the weaker arm. The reason being is if you're using a BB your strong arm can help take up slack for the weaker one. I guess you could argue the bar would be tilted and your weak arm is forced to take up the slack if u lock your other out... but whatever. *shrug* I'm standing by the DBs.

3. Dips and Pullups/Chinups are almost impossible for me. I am not sure if this is because of my weight and/or height (6ft 5) or just because I lack the strength. I know that these movements are essential in gaining strength. I am currently doing negatives but it is not helping much. How can I increase my progress in these movements?

strength/weight ratio usually. Since you're tall you'll have further to go, but you'll just have to get stronger. I had one of those little pull-up bars you put in your door frame and found those helped. I'd load it up and try and do as many as I could. They aren't wide wide like the ones I use at the gym to build lats up, but they work fine if you can't do any. I suggest those because I felt like a tool in the gym before I could knock out a few. If they have the assisted dip/pullup machines, those are your best bets. Negatives are great, and even weighted negatives if you're comfortable with it. Pulldown is a not ideal but acceptable solution. Pull ups work best if you can control your lats and squeeze them - something I couldn't do for a very, very long time.

4. How the hell do I perform a safe powerclean? What muscles do i contract during the pull portion of the lift. When I read up on the lift everyone is saying to use your arms simply to hold the barbell. So if I am not contracting my arms, how do I move the weight from mid-shin level to shoulders??

just be sure not to flail and round your back. It's a power movement. I've stated already that I'm not a huge fan of these (or any real power/explosive movements), but again it's because I suck at them. I'll let someone else comment on this. Youtube should have something decent as well.

Re. the arm thing - it can be like a deadlift, albeit somewhat less severe because of the lighter weight. If you're pulling a heavy weight and jerking up with your arms, it's easy to tear something.

Appreciate all input

Thanks

Hope that helps.

10. RubberSoul

RubberSoul Member

thank you very much noir. I have one more question.

What should I consume post-workout given that I am on a cut?
    Right now I just chug a large glass of nonfat milk as soon as I get home. I know this isnt probably the best choice and i probably should get some carbs in. What do you recommed?

Can anyone with experience powercleaning weigh in?

thanks a lot

11. evor1

evor1 Active Member

right now im using whey and casein protein. on non workout days i just take 1 scoop whey in 8 oz milk in the middle of the day. on workout days i take about .75 scoop before in 6 oz milk and 1.75 scoop after in 14 oz milk. now im debating on how often i should take my casein shakes. in the past ive taken it every night 1 scoop in 12 oz milk. oh btw the milk is non fat. am i wasting casein protein if i take it everyday? should i do the casein shake at every night or only on workout days? trying to make the best use of the protein so i dont waste a bunch.

12. ken

ken Senior member

I posted in your other thread.

13. Noir.

Noir. Senior member

thank you very much noir. I have one more question.

What should I consume post-workout given that I am on a cut?
    Right now I just chug a large glass of nonfat milk as soon as I get home. I know this isnt probably the best choice and i probably should get some carbs in. What do you recommed?

thanks a lot

~55g whey protein, 30-40g sugars, remainder from complex carbohydrates (oats or rice). Some milk is fine here, but I don't do well on dairy when cutting. For me that means I don't eat much cheese, etc. Milk breaks me out so I hardly ever drink it unless it's maybe a cuppoccino with a friend.

right now im using whey and casein protein. on non workout days i just take 1 scoop whey in 8 oz milk in the middle of the day. on workout days i take about .75 scoop before in 6 oz milk and 1.75 scoop after in 14 oz milk. now im debating on how often i should take my casein shakes. in the past ive taken it every night 1 scoop in 12 oz milk. oh btw the milk is non fat. am i wasting casein protein if i take it everyday? should i do the casein shake at every night or only on workout days? trying to make the best use of the protein so i dont waste a bunch.

whey post workout, casein at night. Don't drink milk @ night unless it's directly after a workout. look @ post history in "whey vs. milk" thread for reasons (idk if i've mentioned them in this thread).

14. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

refeed starts tomorrow at noon. someone suggest a good refeed for 12 hrs staring at noon.

15. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

You guys make it so difficult...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is thinking this.

Of course, if you guys want to obsess to the point of insanity, who am I to say any differently?

16. Noir.

Noir. Senior member

refeed starts tomorrow at noon. someone suggest a good refeed for 12 hrs staring at noon.
    pasta, rice, potatoes, oats, ezekiel bread. If you're worried about gaining anything extra, just do it clean and keep the fats low. People get fat eating junk food, not oatmeal. (not entirely true but you get my drift [​IMG] )
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who is thinking this. Of course, if you guys want to obsess to the point of insanity, who am I to say any differently?
    If you're just starting out and want to get in better shape or whatever, then of course a lot of this is too complex. Eating healthy and exercising will get most people to where they want to be. If, however, you want to be in the 1%, .05% or better - it requires a little bit more. I'm not getting ready for anything in particular so I've been going out to dinner a LOT the past few days and meeting new people. Next weekend is the superbowl so I'm having people over and we'll get some beer and order pizza (though I'm actually jonesing for some sangria - I'll have that and make everyone else drink the beer [​IMG] ) My point is that unless you're already at a level where most of the minor nuances mentioned would matter, don't worry about it. At the same time, I can't see why having the information available is a bad thing. Is it really that different from someone in MC obsessing about 1/2" cuffs or in SW&D discussing the proper hem length for stacking? Let's put it this way: Most people are square toed kenneth coles With good genes only you're allen edmonds With a good workout & average diet you turn into c&j Good diet & nutrition you're edward green Go beyond the basics and put in the extra effort and you're a john lobb {blah blah rough example, yes you could work out to an AE or whatever. fuck it you get my point} For some people it's worth the price to go from AE to C&J, fewer will pay for EG, and still fewer pay for Lobb. I have a lot of trouble justifying $1,000+ shoes, but that doesn't mean i don't appreciate the craftsmanship and beauty of it. I can see how some people wouldn't understand why myself or others put so much effort into this whole fitness lifestyle - generally it's because we love it like shoe or denim aficionados. We obsess about carb choice and exercise order like some (including me again sadly) would with leather, lasts, shape, or stitching, or weft, indigo, rise, or hardware.

17. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

I used to weigh my food at one point in time. I majored in Human Kinetics (Exercise Science/Physiology), have a couple useless certificates and nutrition was (and kind of still is) a hobby of mine. I've done CKDs, etc., but I've been "out of the game" for the last 7 or so years and have no idea what the "latest developments" are. In the end, I realized that I have enough issues in my life without obsessing over if the slice of bread I ate for breakfast has 3 grabs of carbs instead of 4. I get your point and, as you correctly say, if it makes you happy to be at 6% BF instead of 6.25% that's great. I certainly have my own interests now that others don't share/understand. I just agree with why that a lot of this with supplements and meal timing and "correct" ratios is overkill for 99% (yes, I pulled that % out of my ass) of people and, quite fankly, a lot of mumbo jumbo e.g. meal frequency (I agree with lefty about reading Lyle McDonald's stuff; have a lot of respect for that guy). To be fair, you did admit that. If someone is a professional whose livelihood depends on their appearance e.g. model, body-builder, etc. then I get the necessity of trying to eek out the best possible returns from their body/diet. Somehow though, I'm guessing that doesn't apply to the majority who are going to read this thread and run out to buy some BCAAs or whatever. I stopped going to the gym in June '07 and even before that I really relaxed with my eating and wasn't really working out all that regularly. Part of that was laziness after being so strict with myself e.g. no sugar whatsoever, and part of it was the demands of grad school. When I was in shape, I was 190-195 and maybe 9-10% BF @ 6'2". Not super lean but it was a weight I could very comfortably maintain with almost no effort. If I wanted to get more cut, I'd have to put in a lot more work into dieting, counting calories, doing cardio and so forth. Wasn't worth it to me but I get that it is an accomplisment/enjoyment for others. Since I stopped working out + slowing metabolism as I near 30 + eating like shit while in the hospital I put on about 25-30 pounds + dropped some muscle. I decided to join the New Year's Resolutions Crew and get back into the gym this year. Here's my plan - eat better + work out. I have no idea how many calories I'm taking in other than it's less than before cause I'm not snacking at all + doing things like eating oatmeal and water or milk for breakfast instead of a sugary cereal and I'm in the gym 3x/week. I don't know how much weight I've lost in the last couple weeks but my clothes are looser and there's a small visible difference in the mirror. I'm in this for the long haul and I'm doing it with the minimum pain because I'm not starving, I'm not counting calories and I'm not spending a lot of money on supplements (I did buy some ON protein powder though for post-workout and those times when I think I need a bit of extra protein). Maybe when I start getting back to around my goal weight and there are diminishing returns/ceiling effect I'll need to tighten up and "obsess" a little more but, like I said, I have enough problems in my life without adding that in. To end, I'd like to reiterate that I do get your point. I just hope you get mine as well. Cheers!

18. Noir.

Noir. Senior member

nah mate, I was never disagreeing with you. [​IMG] I don't think putting the information out there is going to harm anyone though. I myself am not ridiculously strict right now - maybe 80-85% clean. If you eat well most of the time, you don't have to eat perfectly to get real results.

It's just like you said - there's a HUGE difference between being 15% and 12% and 9% and 6%. getting from 15 to 12 is easier than 12 to 9, and 15 to 9 is way easier than 9 to 6. It's evaluating your life and seeing what's important to you. I completely get where you're coming from. I threw everything out the window for over a month late last year due to personal problems. I picked it back up and realized how much I missed it and how much I really love it. To point, I enjoy focusing on things like this, and that's why I do it. It really helps me clear my head and get away from, well, life. I like the reprieve.

Just trying to point out that there are different degrees depending on your goals. Once you're as detailed as you can possibly be it's pretty easy to back out of it and look at the whole picture. I also agree that people tend to overconcern themselves with supplements. I use them, I love them, and I'm a huge advocate of them, but the only one I would consider "necessary" is a protein powder - which is essentially a food substitute when you're in a time crunch. But if you're going to use them, I have my little list of priorities for them (protein > vitamin > glutamine > bcaa's/creatine > everything else [preworkout drinks, vasodialaters, test boosters, random cooky crap you don't know what does {paging MuscleTech}])

We're on the same page though, no worries. [​IMG] A hell of a lot has changed in 7 years, too, though mostly in the supplement and pharma market...

19. why

why Senior member

Stuff changes because new diets generate money. Old diets don't.

A lot of this stuff comes down to calories and activity. Hormones play a role at really low bodyfat levels.

The rest of the stuff doesn't matter a whole lot. All the time and energy spent on worrying about CKDs and such would be better applied to willpower.

20. James Bond

James Bond Senior member

n

Just trying to point out that there are different degrees depending on your goals. Once you're as detailed as you can possibly be it's pretty easy to back out of it and look at the whole picture. I also agree that people tend to overconcern themselves with supplements. I use them, I love them, and I'm a huge advocate of them, but the only one I would consider "necessary" is a protein powder - which is essentially a food substitute when you're in a time crunch. But if you're going to use them, I have my little list of priorities for them (protein > vitamin > glutamine > bcaa's/creatine > everything else [preworkout drinks, vasodialaters, test boosters, random cooky crap you don't know what does {paging MuscleTech}])

*cough*fishoil*cough*

I would put it right after protein.