• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Asian Language Support in Linux Web Browsers

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to input Korean characters using Ubuntu Linux. I got it working using the SCIM packages however it does not work in any web browser.

Is there some setting I need to change in Firefox?

So far OS X is the only system that has made international characters painless.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I can read (and write) Vietnamese fonts just by switching my encoding under View - but suspect you have already tried that.

A miserable option, but you could otherwise try writing in a word processor, pasting it over...should also work.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm still doesn't work. I just tried switching over to UTF-8 and at least now I see the little non english icon at the top but I still can't input in anything but roman characters.

Right now I am cutting and pasting from gedit, what a pain!

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
there are four Korean options under More Encodings -> East Asian - no go?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
there are four Korean options under More Encodings -> East Asian - no go?

nada. Man what a pain! It doesn't work in Konqueror either.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did some quick googling. I think you're supposed to install the package mozilla-firefox-locale-ko.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
Did some quick googling. I think you're supposed to install the package mozilla-firefox-locale-ko.

I'll try this. I remember doing it before but it may have been before I reinstalled my system. One annoying thing is that I'm using the 64 bit Linux (huge mistake) and all my firefox stuff has been compiled for 32bit so that plugins and all that work. Anyways, it could lead to more fun.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought a new harddrive and reinstalled a new OS on my laptop using Vista / Ubuntu 8.04 dual boot. Here is how I got Hangul working: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ht=nabi+korean You might need the packages listed in the third post down here too: http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-90436.html
sudo apt-get install language-pack-gnome-ko language-pack-gnome-ko-base language-pack-ko language-pack-ko-base language-support-ko mozilla-firefox-locale-ko nabi openoffice.org2-help-ko openoffice.org2-l10n-ko ttf-alee ttf-unfonts xfonts-baekmuk
Ubuntu 8.04 is actually quite nice and polished, I was unimpressed with 7.04. I also got SCIM working too but nabi is supposed to be better and I like the icons at the top more.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
you think 8.10 will be worth the upgrade?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
you think 8.10 will be worth the upgrade?

I don't even know what 8.10 entails. 8.04 works very well out of the box so far as I can tell. I haven't tried pushing the accelerated drivers on my ATI card or anything. The wireless actually works as seamlessly as OS X. I think this is the first time.

I may have to play with Beryl, which I couldn't get working in 7.04.

sixpaq

Reaction score
8.10 has a nice utility for creating installers on USB flash drives. Aside from that I don't see a huge difference but then I almost always run Linux on servers, hence no X.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads