• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

asian hair

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ahhhchu90
i like the sides of your hair in the second and third pictures. its really flat and texturized. is it normally like that or is it stubbornly straight?

My hair is really straight. Traditionally asian. But I guess over-processing it has changed its texture. It usually lies pretty flat. Especially when I've gone without washing. And Tarmac, my hair doesn't stink like all hell.
smile.gif

op2

Reaction score
Grow it out, and don't be afraid to use a straightening iron (I recommend a Solia or Sedu).

Dunno what your hair currently looks like, but I had the most disgusting hair for a long time until I started taking really good care of it by using a good conditioner (aka good doesn't mean expensive) and learning how to properly dry my hair and straighten it. It takes practise. Did you know that if you wash your hair with warm water, it opens up the cuticles, and then finishing with a cold blast of water seals in the cuticles, creating shine and gloss? As well, always air dry, then when your hair is 90% dry, blow dry it on the lowest setting. Research, read and you will do fine.

Here is what my hair looks like now:
mahhairhs5.jpg

p.trick

Reaction score
Originally Posted by op2
mahhairhs5.jpg

Sweet. Do you naturally have platinum blonde hair or did you bleach it? The brown highlights behind your ear are a nice touch.

e23

Reaction score
I have the typical asian hair (straight and just sticks out everywhere) but ive been growing it out. Anyone know a good stylist to get that good messy fauxhawk look in NYC?

p.trick

Reaction score
Originally Posted by e23
I have the typical asian hair (straight and just sticks out everywhere) but ive been growing it out. Anyone know a good stylist to get that good messy fauxhawk look in NYC?

I just brought in a picture to a random Vietnamese salon. The barber said he'd never done a faux hawk before, but he'd give it a shot. I only specified the approximate length I wanted each part to be and to include the back of my head in the 'hawk (a personal preference that was not visible in the picture). He even texturized the strip though I had forgetten to instruct him to. Best $12 + $5 tip I've ever spent.

hollaforadolla

Reaction score
Originally Posted by op2
Grow it out, and don't be afraid to use a straightening iron (I recommend a Solia or Sedu).

mahhairhs5.jpg

this is a pretty sweet hairdo. did you get it cut like this or does it come through manipulation? do you use gel to achieve this look? what kind of hair do you have?

minhi

Reaction score
ditto above, how much product do you have in your hair in this picture?

tigerx

Reaction score
wow my hair is exactly the same, and i do hate asian hair, but i've learn to just live with it, i've got it cut short on the sides and a lil bit longer on top, and then i just use gel or pomade or w/e i feel like to spike them up, nothing fancy or noticeable, but it's the best i can do for now plus it's incredibly easy to style, it take me like less then 5 min to style it when i'm up in the morning. here's a pic:
untitled1zv8.png
i'm always looking for way to make my hair better tho.......i guess i should stop cutting @ First Choice Haircutters, and find some FOB out place.

bapelolol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tiranis
I have to second this. I don't have asian hair, but I've just had my hair cut at a really "fob" place here in Vancouver (Chura hair-salon, they have two locations in Tokyo and two here). The stylists speak fairly bad english, but they're amazing at what they do. I've been getting haircuts at much more expensive places for past three years and have never been this happy.

chura's ok, spots been blown up though, something ridiculous like 2 week waiting list for a random stylist

also see lots of ppl go in there and get cuts they can get anywhere else

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have Asian hair, it's changed texture over the years. A friend of mine once told me that people's hair changes texture periodically as they age; she said it was something like every 7 years, which when I thought back, she was right. When I was a kid, my hair was totally straight and slick. When I hit my late teens, early 20s, it got really wavy (my mom's hair is wavy), now it's a lot straighter than it was back then, but it still gets weird waves and curls.

.xbe

Reaction score
My hair is so thick, stiff and super straight that I can grow a medium length straight afro. If you're in the NYC area, there's this Japanese salon called Hair Mates. Quite possibly the best haircut I've had in my entire life.

I've never really tried spiking my hair, since my hair has always been previously cut evenly throughout. It will look like flat top spikes when I gell it up. But the way I was cut at Hair Mates, I had this natural soft spikes without putting anything on it.

Too bad that place is only in the NYC and Japan. Now that I'm back in Buffalo, probably my mistake in going to Supercuts, can't seem to replicate the style I got at Hair Mates. If anyone knows of any good salons over here, hook me up.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
where you live also affects how mallable your hair is
I normally live in Vancouver (I'm asian) and at home my hair is stiff and hard
but when I was studying in London, England, the water there was heavier (my cousins said it had more minerals) and I didn't have to use gel or anything to style my hair after washing.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I where asian/had asian hair Id definitly do the japanese shortish pony tail. Looks great with the hair type, and doesnt come of creepy as on most white guys.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads