• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

asian hair

ahhhchu90

Reaction score
I'm an asian male and I don't like my hair. It's really really straight and hard t omanage. It poofs out when it short so I have to leave it long but it looks messy. Is there a way to get it like hispanic and white peoples hair. Like how its so smooth, texturized, and flat even when its short.

kinda like this guy: http://i8.tinypic.com/52mlb34.jpg

and please none of the "be proud of who you are" and "grass isn't always greener" crap

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
You could get it permed, but there is no real way to get white hair. Don't know why you'd want it, tbh.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try washing it infrequently. I'm asian, and I wash it about once a week. It doesnt ever smell unsavory, but I take care of it. Once the hair has had a break from washing, the oils usually make the hair a little more matted, and malleable. I find that I can work with my hair more when it's a little oily.

I've also had every hair style and color known to man.

atroopan

Reaction score
Dude - seriously - dont complain about your hair - the follicles can sense anything bad you say about them and they may just decide to leave if they get really pissed off.

troop
tounge.gif

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ahhhchu90
I'm an asian male and I don't like my hair. It's really really straight and hard t omanage. It poofs out when it short so I have to leave it long but it looks messy. Is there a way to get it like hispanic and white peoples hair. Like how its so smooth, texturized, and flat even when its short.

kinda like this guy: http://i8.tinypic.com/52mlb34.jpg

and please none of the "be proud of who you are" and "grass isn't always greener" crap

Lucky you; you could have "halfie-hair".
plain.gif

koji

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
You could get a straightening perm, that should help with the poofy issue. Any asian hair salon can help more than we can.

mano

Reaction score
Shave your head and wear a rug. You may pick any style you want.

p.trick

Reaction score
ahhhchu90: The type of hair of the guy in the picture you provided isn't difficult at all to achieve with Asian hair. With adequate length (probably ~2 inches), chunking with some pomade will do the trick.

GoSurface: What short/medium styles (the Korean soap star look is overdone) have you found to be especially compatible with Asian hair? I recently began experimenting and acquired a faux hawk because of its versatility and low maintenance but also because I was strapped for other ideas. I also want to get some color done, but I don't want to drop $50 to find out which ones don't show up well nor am I sure whether I want to just do the front, bangs and hairline, or frost the entire strip.

ahhhchu90

Reaction score
Originally Posted by p.trick
ahhhchu90: The type of hair of the guy in the picture you provided isn't difficult at all to achieve with Asian hair. With adequate length (probably ~2 inches), chunking with some pomade will do the trick.

GoSurface: What short/medium styles (the Korean soap star look is overdone) have you found to be especially compatible with Asian hair? I recently began experimenting and acquired a faux hawk because of its versatility and low maintenance but also because I was strapped for other ideas. I also want to get some color done, but I don't want to drop $50 to find out which ones don't show up well nor am I sure whether I want to just do the front, bangs and hairline, or frost the entire strip.

using pomade doesnt really get the nautral looking wavy texture that i want. its still very straight but with pomade on it. what if i get a body wave?

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have asian hair. Had huge problems with it--very poofy in a wavy-inflating kind of way. Then I met my incredibly skilled-like-Edwards-Scissorhands Japanese hairdresser. I've been going to her for three years now, dropping $45 per haircut (cheap by NYC standards) and happy every single time I leave.

She happens to be a Japanese craftsperson who's NOT a fan of wild and crazy, but rather, focuses on shape, texture and what looks good on me.

My advice: find a good Asian 'cutter and stay with them. I'd steer clear of Asian-American, and try for a real 'FOB' kind of joint.

Another thing: my hairdresser turned me onto using a dryer. It really has helped. I only use it for a final drying, but it keeps my hair from curling as it's prone to doing when it air dries.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by p.trick

DISCLAIMER: Excuse the Gay.com pics. hahah.

I had this hairstyle for around 7 years. It served me well. Short on the sides and spikey up top. I tamed it down for work, but you can play with it a lot more if you keep some length.

n5320822_31787111_4397.jpg

I've also had a fauxhawk....
n5320822_32704504_3129-1.jpg

n5320822_32512492_3965.jpg

n5320822_32647519_9226.jpg

....but I'm currently sticking with the cut in the first pic, and just experimenting with color now.

n49601164_30640773_9867.jpg

My hair is currently blond with gray high-lights. But I don't really have a good pic of it yet.

ahhhchu90

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface
DISCLAIMER: Excuse the Gay.com pics. hahah.

I had this hairstyle for around 7 years. It served me well. Short on the sides and spikey up top. I tamed it down for work, but you can play with it a lot more if you keep some length.

n5320822_31787111_4397.jpg

I've also had a fauxhawk....
n5320822_32704504_3129-1.jpg

n5320822_32512492_3965.jpg

n5320822_32647519_9226.jpg

....but I'm currently sticking with the cut in the first pic, and just experimenting with color now.

n49601164_30640773_9867.jpg

My hair is currently blond with gray high-lights. But I don't really have a good pic of it yet.

i like the sides of your hair in the second and third pictures. its really flat and texturized. is it normally like that or is it stubbornly straight?

p.trick

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ahhhchu90
i like the sides of your hair in the second and third pictures. its really flat and texturized. is it normally like that or is it stubbornly straight?

Originally Posted by GoSurface
Try washing it infrequently. I'm asian, and I wash it about once a week. It doesnt ever smell unsavory, but I take care of it. Once the hair has had a break from washing, the oils usually make the hair a little more matted, and malleable. I find that I can work with my hair more when it's a little oily.

I occasionally go 2-3 days without washing my hair and can confirm this effect. My hair would feel notably thicker/heavier and my would would lay flat on my bangs forehead. I could sculpt chunks of my hair to a certain degree.

A barber can't change the texture of your hair, but the subtle use of highlights and/or cutting ends unevenly with a shear point technique can create the same effect.

Or just wear a military cap to sleep.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow I could conceive going 2 days without washing but a week? I think it would stink like all hell.

Tiranis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorian
I have asian hair. Had huge problems with it--very poofy in a wavy-inflating kind of way. Then I met my incredibly skilled-like-Edwards-Scissorhands Japanese hairdresser. I've been going to her for three years now, dropping $45 per haircut (cheap by NYC standards) and happy every single time I leave. She happens to be a Japanese craftsperson who's NOT a fan of wild and crazy, but rather, focuses on shape, texture and what looks good on me. My advice: find a good Asian 'cutter and stay with them. I'd steer clear of Asian-American, and try for a real 'FOB' kind of joint. Another thing: my hairdresser turned me onto using a dryer. It really has helped. I only use it for a final drying, but it keeps my hair from curling as it's prone to doing when it air dries.
I have to second this. I don't have asian hair, but I've just had my hair cut at a really "fob" place here in Vancouver (Chura hair-salon, they have two locations in Tokyo and two here). The stylists speak fairly bad english, but they're amazing at what they do. I've been getting haircuts at much more expensive places for past three years and have never been this happy.
Originally Posted by Tarmac
wow I could conceive going 2 days without washing but a week? I think it would stink like all hell.
I have to agree. Just because you can't smell it, doesn't mean it doesn't stink. Trust me, it does... you just got used to it, same way you get used to perfume.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics