• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Asian countries' work hours

Antonio Centeno

Reaction score
But overall I think this is a reflection of your wealth accumulation, love of your work, and upbringing. Nobody wants to work 7 days a week doing things they hate. But most people in the world stomach 5 days a week. But if you love what you do.....why take a day off! And then there are those who work because they have nothing else.

bkk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
In China it is not uncommon for someone to work 7 days a week. There are several national holidays a year where people are off of work for a week at a time. China is a country that is rapidly changing and part of that change is a 5 day work week. You'll see this trend in the larger cities such as Schenzen, Beijing, Dalian and Shenyang.

I agree 95%... seems like the factories will continue working weekends. Until it becomes too expensive for some domestic companies to use China for manufacturing (which we are well on our way), there's too much work to complete in 5 days.

dizzhizz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
In Korea, work weeks seem to be a bit longer. 9-6 instead of 9-5 basically. A friend of mine works 7-7
crazy.gif
. He's a member here so he'll probably chime in when he sees this thread...

Good call Brian. Since I'm working finance, I pull at least 60+ hours a week and I'm only doing institutional sales and trading (meaning I should technically only work with market hours). Guys from the IPO/M&A/SF/Research work nasty long hours, probably ranging from 70-80hrs/week and also come in on the weekends.

But depending on the sector/industry, a lot of service oriented jobs in the private industry require employees to come in every other weekend if required.

Seems like a 50hr/work week is the standard here in Korea. There has a lot to do with noon-chee, which is a Korean term for trying to look busy while the general manager is still present and considered to be frowned upon to leave before he does.

Damn Korean corporate culture. Japan is quite similar from what I hear, maybe even more so.

dizzhizz

Reaction score
Forgot to mention the mandatory company outings/dinner/drinking which can last until the wee hours of the morning and leave you completely and utterly useless the next day as you try to recover from excessive whiskey bombs, soju bombs and other concoctions that will kill your brain cells faster than a can of whipits.

WEE HAE YO!
KUMBAI!

Unfortunately, I have one of these tonights. First round is sam gyup + soju + beer while second round will take place at a karoake with local whiskey + beer + fruits.

crazy.gif

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:

I agree 95%... seems like the factories will continue working weekends. Until it becomes too expensive for some domestic companies to use China for manufacturing (which we are well on our way), there's too much work to complete in 5 days.

I agree. The dollar is weakening, fuel costs are rising and the Chinese government is slowly letting the Yuan value out at a 6 to 1 exchange rate USD. The thing is the quality of products is also increasing which demands a higher price anyway. I remember when made in Japan was a bad thing. Now made in Japan is a real good thing. The quality is first rate top notch and it's done at very attractive price points to the consumer. China is going through the same type of evolution. Give them 20 years or so and look out.

novqilin

Reaction score
i think it really depends on which sector are you talking about

from my observation i think hongkong people are in general more willing and indeed work longer hours, it's like everyone of them has the same mindset

in china it really differs according to region

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've been working 6 days a week since day 1. I guess its more of what sector you work in around here. Have no complaints really, until the 1st acidickid arrived. And you're torn between working hard to assure a socially secure future for the young kid, or spending more time with her.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You must be a good father to your kid(s). You have my respect Acidicboy.

Originally Posted by acidicboy
I've been working 6 days a week since day 1. I guess its more of what sector you work in around here. Have no complaints really, until the 1st acidickid arrived. And you're torn between working hard to assure a socially secure future for the young kid, or spending more time with her.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by novqilin
+1

Originally Posted by Coho
You must be a good father to your kid(s). You have my respect Acidicboy.

Thanks, its the least I can do, after using milk money to buy me a shitload of Santonis and a couple of Panerais.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics