• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Asian Cinema Thread

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There seems to be a few people from singapore, hong kong, korea and japan floating around these forums and im sure theres some people out there who apreciate good asian cinema. im thinking more east asian than bollywood but serious south asian movies are always worth a viewing.

So, any good new films?

Or DVD suggestions.

Some of my favourites

Violent Cop
A better tomorrow
Bullet in the head
Infernal Affairs
The Election (2005 Hong Kong film)
Sonatine
Zatoichi (Takeshis 2003 take)
Boiling point

baseball_guy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
There seems to be a few people from singapore, hong kong, korea and japan floating around these forums and im sure theres some people out there who apreciate good asian cinema. im thinking more east asian than bollywood but serious south asian movies are always worth a viewing.

So, any good new films?

Or DVD suggestions.

Some of my favourites

Violent Cop
A better tomorrow
Bullet in the head
Infernal Affairs
The Election (2005 Hong Kong film)
Sonatine
Zatoichi (Takeshis 2003 take)
Boiling point

Fulltime Killer was very good. I put it up there with Infernal Affairs as some of the best to come out of that part of the world.

A Better Tomorrow is one of my favorites. Chow Yun Fat is great in both those movies.

The latest flick I watched was Kill Zone which was good. Not as good as BT I&II or FTK, but it is worth a rental.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
will have to check out Fulltime Killer, thanks

laughwithm3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prada_Ferragamo
A better tomorrow(1&2) and Infernal Affairs(1, 2&3) would have be my top two.

+1, more specifically, A better tomorrow 1 and Infernal Affair 2 are great.
stephen chow's movies during the 90s are hilarious
Then there are a bunch of movies made by Feng Xiaogang, such as JiaFangYifang (too lazy to look up english translation), a world without thieves, and FeiChengWuYao are amazing movies, but they aren't too popular outside of mainland China.

shaitan

Reaction score
Check out Thirst, it recently came out on DVD. I highly recommend it. It's by the director who made Oldboy (Vengeance trilogy).

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of Zhang Yimou's early works are also really artistic and tasteful, especially Raise the Red Lantern and Red Sorghum.

laughwithm3

Reaction score
I hate Zhang Yimou's movies with the exception of "To Live", which is a brilliant alternation of the original novel. His old moviies are all about women being used, surpressed and mistreated in the old chinese society. It's fine if he made one or two , but he made about 5 or 6 of them...
then his newer movies, like Hero and House of flying daggers are just trying to break box office records. they are hollywood-like big budget films with a bunch of super Chinese movie stars,

laughwithm3

Reaction score
Chan-wook Park's revenge triology is definitely worth checking out as well.

One of the most memorable japanese movie i watched is "Survive Style 5+"

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like his new movies. But the ones that I listed I like. They actually reflect the lives of those who lived in the specific time periods. I just think they are tasteful.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by laughwithm3
I hate Zhang Yimou's movies with the exception of "To Live", which is a brilliant alternation of the original novel. His old moviies are all about women being used, surpressed and mistreated in the old chinese society. It's fine if he made one or two , but he made about 5 or 6 of them...
then his newer movies, like Hero and House of flying daggers are just trying to break box office records. they are hollywood-like big budget films with a bunch of super Chinese movie stars,

maybe im imagining it but i found Heros message to be overly patriotic and towing the nationalistic line.

I enjoy Wong Kar-Wai films, especially 2046

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone else like Takeshi Kitanos early movies?

There is an awesome minimilism to them.

heli0x

Reaction score

+1
To live was actually the first film I saw in a cinema, and arguably his best work. For some reason I've still yet to see raise the red lantern, which I hear alot about. I think there are a couple decent ones sandwiched in between his old and new films, like shanghai triad, the road home, and not one less. I think all three are definitely watchable, however depressing and sentimental they tend to be. Anything after hero should be avoided, unless you enjoy mindless action, millions of dudes killing each other, and needlessly confusing plots.

Chan-wook Park's revenge triology is definitely worth checking out as well."
+1, maybe just oldboy actually, the other two are definitely harder to enjoy, especially if you dont know korean.

OP seems to really like the asian action/thrillers, IMO though I think the strength of chinese movies, as a national cinema lies more in dramas and comedies. Two fairly popular titles I'd recommend would be Ba Wang Bie Ji and Yin Shi Nan Nu.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the recomendations
smile.gif
my initial interest in asian films did stem from 80s Hong Kong action flicks but im not averse to some drama suggestions, just as long as they arent overly sentimental
smile.gif

laughwithm3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
anyone else like Takeshi Kitanos early movies?

There is an awesome minimilism to them.

I like Takeshi Kitanos' film alot, especially Hana-bi and Kikujirô no natsu, more depth comparing to his early yakuza films, which aren't bad for entertainment.

I found his somewhat recent work "Glory to the Filmmaker" oddly amusing as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads