Asian Cinema Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Mr Herbert, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

There seems to be a few people from singapore, hong kong, korea and japan floating around these forums and im sure theres some people out there who apreciate good asian cinema. im thinking more east asian than bollywood but serious south asian movies are always worth a viewing.

So, any good new films?

Or DVD suggestions.

Some of my favourites

Violent Cop
    A better tomorrow
    Bullet in the head
    Infernal Affairs
    The Election (2005 Hong Kong film)
    Sonatine
    Zatoichi (Takeshis 2003 take)
    Boiling point

2. baseball_guy

baseball_guy Senior member

There seems to be a few people from singapore, hong kong, korea and japan floating around these forums and im sure theres some people out there who apreciate good asian cinema. im thinking more east asian than bollywood but serious south asian movies are always worth a viewing.

So, any good new films?

Or DVD suggestions.

Some of my favourites

Violent Cop
    A better tomorrow
    Bullet in the head
    Infernal Affairs
    The Election (2005 Hong Kong film)
    Sonatine
    Zatoichi (Takeshis 2003 take)
    Boiling point

Fulltime Killer was very good. I put it up there with Infernal Affairs as some of the best to come out of that part of the world.

A Better Tomorrow is one of my favorites. Chow Yun Fat is great in both those movies.

The latest flick I watched was Kill Zone which was good. Not as good as BT I&II or FTK, but it is worth a rental.

3. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

will have to check out Fulltime Killer, thanks

4. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

A better tomorrow(1&2) and Infernal Affairs(1, 2&3) would have be my top two.

5. laughwithm3

laughwithm3 Senior member

A better tomorrow(1&2) and Infernal Affairs(1, 2&3) would have be my top two.

+1, more specifically, A better tomorrow 1 and Infernal Affair 2 are great.
    stephen chow's movies during the 90s are hilarious
    Then there are a bunch of movies made by Feng Xiaogang, such as JiaFangYifang (too lazy to look up english translation), a world without thieves, and FeiChengWuYao are amazing movies, but they aren't too popular outside of mainland China.

6. shaitan

shaitan Member

Check out Thirst, it recently came out on DVD. I highly recommend it. It's by the director who made Oldboy (Vengeance trilogy).

7. Prada_Ferragamo

Some of Zhang Yimou's early works are also really artistic and tasteful, especially Raise the Red Lantern and Red Sorghum.

8. laughwithm3

I hate Zhang Yimou's movies with the exception of "To Live", which is a brilliant alternation of the original novel. His old moviies are all about women being used, surpressed and mistreated in the old chinese society. It's fine if he made one or two , but he made about 5 or 6 of them...
    then his newer movies, like Hero and House of flying daggers are just trying to break box office records. they are hollywood-like big budget films with a bunch of super Chinese movie stars,

9. laughwithm3

Chan-wook Park's revenge triology is definitely worth checking out as well.

One of the most memorable japanese movie i watched is "Survive Style 5+"

10. Prada_Ferragamo

I don't like his new movies. But the ones that I listed I like. They actually reflect the lives of those who lived in the specific time periods. I just think they are tasteful.

11. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

I hate Zhang Yimou's movies with the exception of "To Live", which is a brilliant alternation of the original novel. His old moviies are all about women being used, surpressed and mistreated in the old chinese society. It's fine if he made one or two , but he made about 5 or 6 of them...
    then his newer movies, like Hero and House of flying daggers are just trying to break box office records. they are hollywood-like big budget films with a bunch of super Chinese movie stars,

maybe im imagining it but i found Heros message to be overly patriotic and towing the nationalistic line.

I enjoy Wong Kar-Wai films, especially 2046

12. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

anyone else like Takeshi Kitanos early movies?

There is an awesome minimilism to them.

13. heli0x

heli0x Senior member

+1
    To live was actually the first film I saw in a cinema, and arguably his best work. For some reason I've still yet to see raise the red lantern, which I hear alot about. I think there are a couple decent ones sandwiched in between his old and new films, like shanghai triad, the road home, and not one less. I think all three are definitely watchable, however depressing and sentimental they tend to be. Anything after hero should be avoided, unless you enjoy mindless action, millions of dudes killing each other, and needlessly confusing plots.

Chan-wook Park's revenge triology is definitely worth checking out as well."
    +1, maybe just oldboy actually, the other two are definitely harder to enjoy, especially if you dont know korean.

OP seems to really like the asian action/thrillers, IMO though I think the strength of chinese movies, as a national cinema lies more in dramas and comedies. Two fairly popular titles I'd recommend would be Ba Wang Bie Ji and Yin Shi Nan Nu.

14. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

thanks for the recomendations [​IMG] my initial interest in asian films did stem from 80s Hong Kong action flicks but im not averse to some drama suggestions, just as long as they arent overly sentimental [​IMG]

15. laughwithm3

anyone else like Takeshi Kitanos early movies?

There is an awesome minimilism to them.

I like Takeshi Kitanos' film alot, especially Hana-bi and Kikujirô no natsu, more depth comparing to his early yakuza films, which aren't bad for entertainment.

I found his somewhat recent work "Glory to the Filmmaker" oddly amusing as well.