1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Asian American Overachievers when test taking endsing ends.

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Master Milano, May 10, 2011.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

^^^ Some of this is overwrought, I mean you are asking people not to notice very widespread and obvious patterns and then getting mad and calling them names when they do.

Gets back to something I posted earlier. It's a tenet of modern, left-influenced multicultural life that we all have to "celebrate diversity" but if we point out any concrete manifestations of diversity, well, that is racist, stereotyping and bad.

No, I'm asking people not to judge individuals based on what they generalize about large groups of people. That is hardly overwrought. You don't find it offensive that Asians are often raised to view whites as lazier and stupider than them? By multiple quantitative measures, it's just a widespread, obvious pattern.

2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

No, I'm asking people not to judge individuals based on what they generalize about large groups of people. That is hardly overwrought. You don't find it offensive that Asians are often raised to view whites as lazier and stupider than them? By multiple quantitative measures, it's just a widespread, obvious pattern.

Of course everyone who is not an idiot realizes that individuals are what they are, but non-idiots also tend to notice group patterns as well. I mean, nobody says "Oh, shit, Koreatown, roll up the windows, lock the doors and don't stop at any lights!!"

3. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Of course everyone who is not an idiot realizes that individuals are what they are, but non-idiots also tend to notice group patterns as well. I mean, nobody says "Oh, shit, Koreatown, roll up the windows, lock the doors and don't stop at any lights!!"

You must have a higher opinion of people in general than I do. By your definition, most people are idiots.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

^^^ Some of this is overwrought, I mean you are asking people not to notice very widespread and obvious patterns and then getting mad and calling them names when they do.

Gets back to something I posted earlier. It's a tenet of modern, left-influenced multicultural life that we all have to "celebrate diversity" but if we point out any concrete manifestations of diversity, well, that is racist, stereotyping and bad.

To be fair, the type of diversity that is supposed to be celebrated is the good stuff, like awesome Chinese food, black music, pinatas, etc..., not negative generalizations like crime-prone blacks, lazy Latinos, and robotic Asians. Just sayin'.

5. Manton

To be fair, the type of diversity that is supposed to be celebrated is the good stuff, like awesome Chinese food, black music, pinatas, etc..., not negative generalizations like crime-prone blacks, lazy Latinos, and robotic Asians. Just sayin'.
    This is matter of what is allowed to be spoken of, not what it is inevitable that minimally observant people can see with their own two eyes.

6. Manton

You must have a higher opinion of people in general than I do. By your definition, most people are idiots.

I bet we are closer than you think on this.

7. DidYouknow

DidYouknow Member

I rarely ever post or respond to any topic online, but i stumbled onto this topic, and felt a strong urge to respond. I'll try not to be verbose.
    The bottom line is I feel that steriotypes seem to be supported by the media and hollywood cinema. What you see and hear about is what you believe. Thats natural. When you attempt to differentiate the rumors and the facts its not very easy. Koreans are conservative. You will not see koreans aspiring to become actors or actresses. That being said you should understand that if there is very few asian actors or actresses you are bound to see the same people in movies, and commercials. This is evident, you find the same people representing asians. And for me to be frank, I find more layed back, chill koreans on the street then I do on tv. They couldnt find one "cool" korean and portray him on tv. All these years, and you end up with someone like ken jeong from the show community. So most people will have a false or very limited image of asians which is not the reality. Its irritating to get pushed into the one category. Asian. I wouldnt disrespect my british or italian friend by refering to them both as europeans. But since america is widely controlled by non-asians it is accepted that we are all referred to as asians. Another thing i'd like to mention is that Chinese people do not look the same as Koreans. You will find exceptions. But to be honest i cant tell the difference what part of europe your from if your white either. I will probably guess german, or Irish. Maybe italian. Bottom line is koreans and all asians need to stop disrespecting their own community. Have confidence in what you do. Carry yourself with karisma. People will respect you. If not, fuck them. You will see more asians at the top of the ladder. Keep an eye out, peace.

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I'd like to add that Foo is correct, to a point. Where he goes wrong is with the children of the HK exodus of 1997. These immigrants did not come to Canada or the US for greater economic opportunities, so their attitudes were considerably different from the older wave of immigrants.

9. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

Clearly the NFL needs more Asian quarterbacks so that white people will think Asians can be effective team leaders.

10. DidYouknow

DidYouknow Member

If asian people had the desire to become team leaders I think it would happen. The other races in the U.S. White,black,spanish outnumber asians. Im impressed at the amount of ceo's that are asian with so little asians striving in that direction to begin with.

11. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

If asian people had the desire to become team leaders I think it would happen. The other races in the U.S. White,black,spanish outnumber asians. Im impressed at the amount of ceo's that are asian with so little asians striving in that direction to begin with.

With your lack of quantitative reasoning, I can tell you must not be Asian.

12. v.freeman

v.freeman Senior member

However, there is often a self-knowing hyprocisy and jealousy underlying such bigotry. Growing up, it did not escape me that the same white parents who denounced Asian American students for being soulless when they beat their own kids in school, sports, art, music, etc., secretly schemed to get their children in with very same Asian-exclusive Asian tutors or piano teachers who were spreading all the soullessness.

As evident in this thread by examples such as:

My direct supervisor is Asian. His supervisor (Senior Exec) is Asian. They are both terrible at communication, are afraid to speak up and "rock the boat", and always attempt to force-fit analysis to what their audience wants. Most second year analysts have more leadership skills than these two. There is absolutely no way that either of them will be promoted above their current positions.

They are both very smart and hard working. I will be happy to manage a group of their clones in a few years.

13. alphaO888

alphaO888 Senior member

My direct supervisor is Asian. His supervisor (Senior Exec) is Asian. They are both terrible at communication, are afraid to speak up and "rock the boat", and always attempt to force-fit analysis to what their audience wants. Most second year analysts have more leadership skills than these two. There is absolutely no way that either of them will be promoted above their current positions.

They are both very smart and hard working. I will be happy to manage a group of their clones in a few years.

Due to your ignorance I'm assuming that you are not talking about banking when you use the term "analyst".

14. DidYouknow

DidYouknow Member

With your lack of quantitative reasoning, I can tell you must not be Asian.

sigh,
    Well joe, I dont know how english is down south... but what I just said was correct without the stats. If you want the numbers use what people in the east and west call google. have a nice day now you here. and dont roam around these parts no more.

15. warmpi

warmpi Senior member

I never thought I'd be quoting Yahoo news, but just today I saw two articles that I thought relevant to this thread (the second one is rehashed news, don't know why it was still in the headlines).
    I think their creativity and ambition are evident. As for leadership, Asian Americans have it tougher. The controversial parenting methods notwithstanding: 1) The first generation was all middle class professionals that found success by keeping their heads low and working harder than anybody else. They did their kids a disservice by passing on these middle class ambitions. 2) Asians in the US are a visible minority and, while disproportionately successful, are too few in number. It's difficult for a minority to command a majority, and unfortunately I think it leads some to give up too soon. 3) Asian organized crime in the US does great, a big part of it owing to great leadership.

16. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I
    3) Asian organized crime in the US does great, a big part of it owing to great leadership.

lol

17. Pantisocrat

Pantisocrat Senior member

It seems to me like every famous, currently non practicing doctor or lawyer, Asian professional (such as in acting like Dr. Ken Jeong, or in journalism, like Dr. Sanjay Gupta, or in politics like Dr. Steven Chu (Nobel Laureate in Physics), HAS to be way more qualified than any of their predecessors in history for their position?

18. DidYouknow

DidYouknow Member

I'm not knocking ken jeong for his accomplishments. When you see most movies with leading roles. They are caucasian men. They are portrayed as dominant in most movies I've seen. i'll state again, there are very few korean men and women in the acting business to begin with.
    So what your left with is the few people you have that are korean will give viewers the impression of the korean community. Why? because like i said before there are few koreans in the U.S. in contrast with the other races that saturate the country. So there are going to be areas of the country where there may be no koreans in the area at all. Assuming that area of people watch tv, they'll have an image of asians. I think some racism and bios is formed in that way. Imagine if the country's ratio of koreans could break even with just blacks.
    This would not be an issue because you would have people breaking the steriotypes on a daily basis. There are asians that commit crimes, you will have asians that are over 6 feet tall. There are good looking and karismatic asians with dare i say swag. Another thing, dont twist chinese, thai, cambodian, vietnamese, or japanese with koreans. We are all different. Thats how i feel as a korean, dont get it mixed up.

19. rexthedestroyer

rexthedestroyer Senior member

20. alphaO888

alphaO888 Senior member

I'm not knocking ken jeong for his accomplishments. When you see most movies with leading roles. They are caucasian men. They are portrayed as dominant in most movies I've seen. i'll state again, there are very few korean men and women in the acting business to begin with.

This is a horrible analogy. There are no leading roles filled by Asian actors because of the social stigmas that asians have - all of which are perpetuated by this horribly written article.

Please learn how to spell before proclaiming your Asian heritage in the future... you're making us look bad.