• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Asian American Overachievers when test taking endsing ends.

alphaO888

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
You're an idiot. It's established that some Asians possess all the attributes that these white CEOs have (intelligence, hardwork, charisma, leadership skills, yada yada), which in general Asians (supposedly) lack. The point here is that when all the variables are equal, whites get picked. So Race has a lot to do with it. So too is gender. Why do you think it's much easier for Asian females to fill some roles in a white dominated society? Why do you think they only show Asian females when they want a little bit of this yellow diversity? In America, Asian representation is through the Asian woman, not the man. Look at Disney, there's one show with a Korean teen as a star. Then you have Mulan before that. There's not going to be a Disney movie about the great sea-faring General Zhengh He, even though he fits Disney agenda's for a character that promotes diversity (Muslim, eunuch, Chinese, military, adventurous, etc.). Even that E-harmony bullshit advertisement, you'll see an Asian woman/white man couple. So yes, it's completely relevant to the business world, as art tends to mirror social realities. On the other hand, black men are everywhere. It's only very recently that you see black guys play surgeon chiefs and judges. It's not coincidental that these roles happened only shortly after the election of Barack Obama. My belief is that it'll all change when Asians start to have big corporations under their own control. It already happens in Africa, Latin America, and various places around the world. It's a matter of time.

Dude - reading comprehension...

My point is that you cannot compare being a lead actor in a film to being a CEO in a company- I am not saying that prejudice is absent in the workplace.

Nobody wants to see an Asian dude running around as the main character because we're not in ******* Asia. Do you see Caucasians flocking to the movie theater to watch the next black comedy starring Martin Lawrence? You won't see an Asian in a lead role in a generic, non-race specified movie because of America's current cultural norms.

Nobody wants to pick an Asian CEO because the board of directors making that choice is filled with white people. Regardless of who you are, you're more comfortable choosing who you associate with based on similarities and not differences.

One happens more so because of existing social stigmas in the US whereas another takes place for other reasons.

Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
My belief is that it'll all change when Asians start to have big corporations under their own control. It already happens in Africa, Latin America, and various places around the world. It's a matter of time.

There are already over 20 Chinese companies on the international fortune 500 list with the overwhelming majority having Chinese CEO's. There are over 80 companies on the Forbes 1000. What are you even talking about

alphaO888

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
Whenever I see asian guys around uppity women they just seem out of their element. Most asian women are fairly submissive and domesticated. Match up a typical asian with an uppity latina or white woman and the asian will rarely get his way in a conflict.

As for romance, you never see asian guys doing stuff like holding hands or flirting with random women often. Even in committed relationships, you never hear romantic stories about valentines days or even marriage proposals. I cant think of one asian male induced marriage proposal that started out with something that wasn't as dry and distant as "We talked about it, and decided..."

Let me guess, you live in Kansas? It's due to cultural differences. It's not socially normal to talk about your sexcapades or to ***** back at a woman in public. Keeping the peace and not stirring up trouble is considered polite in asian culture.

mrclam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by forStyle
+1. Most of the Asian parents I know came as graduate students or went into research positions. They are a studious middle class group. Many were farmers' children who excelled academically and went to elite universities. The Old Wealth and power stayed in China. ie http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=186323
Not my experience, the old power and wealth had that stripped away during the cultural revolution, and most of those people and their families headed for hk, Taiwan, and the us. most people showing off in a restaurant like that are most likely new money, and run slave driving coal mines. Whew, that was a load of stereotypes

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DidYouknow
False.

a) what does this mean

b) when did one-word denigrations become reasonable on this forum

calisanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Byrd
are the CEOs of mitsuibishi, toyota, hyundai, Canon, Sony, Honda white people??

I thought about this, but then again do as many whites work at junior levels at mitsubishi, honda, hyundai, etc as asians do in a typical american company?

calisanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThatGuy
Forbes is published in International and Local editions.

Lists are different.

And, yes, media is biased wherever you live.

We are talking about a list related to the US VC industry. The OP has to do with Asian Americans in the US. Not elsewhere.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by calisanfran
I thought about this, but then again do as many whites work at junior levels at mitsubishi, honda, hyundai, etc as asians do in a typical american company?
yes there are quite a few. very few get to upper management unless you come from somewhere amazing like m/b/b

alphaO888

Reaction score
The issue that I have with the author of this New York Magazine article is that he's what I call an Asian self-hater. He starts out by stating how he's Asian yet he has no Asian friends, doesn't know how to speak another language, etc. etc. Then he goes on to talk about how Asians weren't meant to be leaders or upper management in American companies. Then he interviews some PUA with a horrible lisp to try to justify his points.

People set their own limits and boundaries regardless of their race or ethnicity. The article read like it was a massive complaint letter to American society about how unfair corporate America is towards the us Asians. You control who you are, how you act, and how you work. For the author to generalize a population that has been in the US since the 1800's is pretty ridiculous.

forStyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alphaO888
People set their own limits and boundaries regardless of their race or ethnicity. The article read like it was a massive complaint letter to American society about how unfair corporate America is towards the us Asians. You control who you are, how you act, and how you work. For the author to generalize a population that has been in the US since the 1800's is pretty ridiculous.
Well, you could say the same for blacks in the 1950's. But they did require a civil rights movement. The important question is whether there an unfair bias against Asian Americans. The article tries to point this out, but I agree it does not do a good job.

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alphaO888
... You control who you are, how you act, and how you work. For the author to generalize a population that has been in the US since the 1800's is pretty ridiculous.
I think you misread the article. The author is laying out the issues involved in his attempts to assimilate completely into American society and the unavoidable hurdles being Asian puts in front of him. How people act is a function of their upbringing as much as personal decisions. Dude who grew up in the ghetto will talk a certain way, and not because he decided to. I had to turbo-learn a lot of etiquette and social conventions by myself even though I have lived in the United States since age 5. Parents are responsible for a huge proportion of learning during formative years and the thing my parents could never teach me how to do was fit in. The issue isn't about corporate America discriminating against Asians, the issue is Asians struggling to learn what makes white people comfortable. We are in the laowai country and it will take many more generations to integrate completely. When we are 15% of the population, it will make a big difference.

kasper007

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thenanyu
The issue isn't about corporate America discriminating against Asians, the issue is Asians struggling to learn what makes white people comfortable. We are in the laowai country and it will take many more generations to integrate completely. When we are 15% of the population, it will make a big difference.

I think focusing on the perceived lack of social skills in America is somewhat oversimplifying the situation. I think a better question to ask is how effective is a typical east asian education with its heavy focus on memorization and standard test taking abilities at providing adequate preparation for a business career. From my experience, the answer is not at all. Having had the chance to study at an elite university in Japan, i witnessed first hand the shortcoming of the "asian" model. Students had spend their entire teen getting ready for an ENTRANCE EXAM and had done very little else and it showed. Most of the students were far behind in terms of maturity, problem solving, forming an educated opinion based on own research, etc. As a results, the average Tokyo, Seoul National or Beijing university student at graduation has tremendous potential, but is somewhat useless and possess very few marketable skills. For example, IBs / MCs in Japan have a very strong bias toward foreign educated candidates and would often prefer someone that has studied at a 2nd tier US university vs. a Todai, Waseda or Keio grad.

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Byrd
are the CEOs of mitsuibishi, toyota, hyundai, Canon, Sony, Honda white people??

Howard Stringer for Sony.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads