1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ashlee Simpson?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by T4phage, Feb 23, 2005.

1. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

Could someone please explain why this girl is so very popular?

I thought there were very few dumber people than Jessica Simpson.... until I saw Ashlee on T.V. The girl sounds as dumb as a donut.

And as for her singing talent.... or lack of any, which disappears in front of a live audience. I mean, from hearing her rehearse, and listening to 'La La', it is so electronically massaged.

2. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Well... I think her "notoriety" should not be conflated with her "popularity"... She's popular with the teen-pop crowd, and fits the mold of the contrived, savvily marketed pop star pretty perfectly - see Tiffany, New Kids, Take That, Backstreet etc. She's well-known for her lack of talent, general cluelessness, and TV-show, which, like most MTV shows currently, is more damning than it is praising.

3. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

She can't sing, can't dance and to my eye - doesn't seem all that physically attractive... I can't explain it.

What does that tell me? That I'm clearly not the target audience - but apparently they've done a good job selling her to that audience, otherwise we wouldn't be discussing this.

Bradford

4. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Ashlee Simpson's career is the product of her MTV reality-television show, a la "American Idol."  Except that the winners of American Idol can actually sing.

5. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

Well, at least some of the people/groups you mentioned can sing to some extent... (excepting the BBs). But apparently Ashlee's album debuted at #1 on Billboard [​IMG] . I am still in wonderment about that..... well, on this side of the Atlantic, anything the poser Robbie Williams releases goes to #1... uuugghhh.. [​IMG]

6. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

Actually, I've always thought the BB's do a fairly nice job on the harmonies... OK - hate on me now. Bradford <-- Not afraid to admit he owns the Backstreet Boys Greatest Hits CD and sometimes sings along to it while driving [​IMG]

7. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

8. Ambulance Chaser

I disagree with your lumping Robbie Williams in with Ashlee Simpson. Â Unlike the latter, Williams actually has a hand in writing his songs, which are well-crafted Britpop. Â His voice is not exceptional, but certainly more than adequate. Â And "Angels," despite its butchering by Ashlee's sister, is an all-time classic. And, yes, I like the Backstreet Boys too. Â [​IMG]

9. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

(T4phage @ Feb. 23 2005,11:38) Well, at least some of the people/groups you mentioned can sing to some extent... (excepting the BBs).  But apparently Ashlee's album debuted at #1 on Billboard  [​IMG] . I am still in wonderment about that..... well, on this side of the Atlantic, anything the poser Robbie Williams releases goes to #1... uuugghhh..  [​IMG]
    I disagree with your lumping Robbie Williams in with Ashlee Simpson. Â Unlike the latter, Williams actually has a hand in writing his songs, which are well-crafted Britpop. Â His voice is not exceptional, but certainly more than adequate. Â And "Angels," despite its butchering by Ashlee's sister, is an all-time classic. And, yes, I like the Backstreet Boys too. Â [​IMG]
    "Angels" was awarded the "Best song in the last 25 years" by the BRITS .. [​IMG]. I could come up with a list that in my mind is way way better, but that is just me. As for William's talent? Yes he can sing a bit, but write? Maybe a ghostwriter... and the way he sodomized Sinatra and Sammy Davis' classics... ohh....

10. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Ashlee Simpson is DONE, you can stick a fork in here now. Thank god for Saturday Night Live [​IMG] She was actually booed at some of the venues she sang at after that debacle.

11. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    So, has she officially &quot;jumped the shark&quot;? Or perhaps that was earlier in her &quot;career&quot;.

12. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

I wish she was done - but she's still got a reality show and my wife and I heard her song on some cosmetics commercial the other day...

Unfortunately, I don't think we've heard the last of her yet.

Bradford

13. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

I see her now and then on the frontpage of Yahoo [​IMG]

14. Ambulance Chaser

In a world in which William Hung can get major singing gigs, I doubt we have seen the last of Ashlee Simpson.

15. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
  16. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

We're a little bit behind you guys, here in Europe, so I am bound to see/hear more of her in the ensuing weeks/months.. [​IMG]

17. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

(drizzt3117 @ Feb. 23 2005,11:20) Ashlee Simpson is DONE, you can stick a fork in here now.
    So, has she officially "jumped the shark"? Or perhaps that was earlier in her "career".
    What does "Jumped the Shark" mean? [​IMG]

18. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

&quot;Jumped the Shark&quot; refers to the moment a pop-culture phenomenon crosses the line into self-parody (from an episode of &quot;Happy Days&quot; when the Fonz waterskiid over a shark). by the strictest definition, I believe Ashley has done so in record time.

This is what I mean. I, personally, had barely even heard of her before the SNL/booing stuff. Now, I watch her show. It's spine-crushingly hilarious, and waaay beyond &quot;Newlyweds&quot; in bitterness toward its subject. They do all they can to make her hateable. Some enjoy it for that, some just actually like her, and are blind to it.

19. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

Hey, but when the Fonz does that, it is cool (aaayyyy). I remember that episode of Happy Days, Fonzie in his leather jacket and shorts jumping the shark [​IMG] .

20. mnemonic

mnemonic Senior member

yeah, miss simpson is lost without a map, i mean like homeward bound lost. she is however, an honest representation of the complete lack of innovation and the mediocrity of current pop and so on.