• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Asexuality.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface
You always have to shame me.

But really; sex, and the number of people I take to bed does not define me. I'm above that **** yo.

You're too old to be 23.
smile.gif

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i like your mentality gosurface.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fade to Black
LabelKing your stance is also one which I find intriguing and relate to, at times. I'm heterosexual, but go through certain phases where I don't really have any desire to engage in any kind of intimate relationship.

Oh dear, this might be an Asian thing. I have no doubt that I am climbing towards the peak of my hormonal rage. However, there are times, when I have no interest, and rather I feel almost repulsed. To me, it is like hunger. Sometimes I want it so bad, I can't think of anything else and it simply overwhelms me. Yet once the need is fulfilled I become very... apathetic, to an extreme actually.

This also carries over to lengths of time when I simply lose interest, or it becomes a chore. I find myself easily bored, and simple lust isn't enough. Sometimes I require real passion, real chemistry to get things going. I go through phases where I prefer one thing over another and while I am still a relative newcomer, I find myself more intrigued in certain things rather than disgusted. I'm afraid that this could go two ways; I find myself developing fetishes just to get me going or I simply grow tired of it all together.

And while I still find myself in hormone induced crazes, many times I view things very objectively, distantly, and almost coldly. Whether it is something real (i.e. something right in front of my face, that I touch) or not (something on a screen).

bored.gif

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm going to agree with JLib here, although I am about a decade behind my distinguished colleague in life's journey.

When I became single again, after nearly 30 years of marriage, most of my pals talked about being jealous of all the tail I was going to get. After sampling the dating world for 18 months, I've decided the tail that is available (and — surprisingly — there is a LOT of pretty nice stuff out there in my age bracket) simply isn't worth the hassle.

I've come to appreciate very much a predictable level of sanity in my life; the crazy bitches out there are just too much to abide by in return for a roll in the hay once in awhile.

I'll not go so far as to say I am "asexual", but I'm certainly not driven by poon the way I once was, nor am I on the hunt. If it falls into my lap, giddy up; otherwise, I'm quite happy with sane celibacy, thank you.

emptym

Reaction score
Sexuality is very interesting, and I think that like most things, we know a lot about a big part of it, but almost nothing about the little parts (no pun intended). As natural science learns more, natural law and other forms of ethics will have some catching up to do.

injung

Reaction score
It'd be nice if they made a pill to trigger asexuality - think of all the work you could get done if you weren't distracted by the opposite sex all the time.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by injung
It'd be nice if they made a pill to trigger asexuality - think of all the work you could get done if you weren't distracted by the opposite sex all the time.

I believe Paglia had an interesting comment, perhaps not her own, that the greatness of civilization is essentially a result of the male sex drive and desire to obtain women.

I do know she has said that if the world were ruled by women, we would still be living in grass huts. I don't recall what she has said about the creative impulses of homosexuals in the arts, but everyone else has said something about it so I suppose there was nothing in it for her.

I don't know if I agree with her main point, as I think the desire for peer recognition is alone very powerful, but it is an interesting one. In any case, I would imagine that a true asexual (meaning a biological one) would have enough things screwed up in their body chemistry that I would be pretty hesitant about predicting any sort of success for them as a general matter. It is possible, but most deviations from design turn out badly.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
People still read Paglia? Wow! I think we need to send her this thread; she's probably so happy to be mentioned in a discussion-context again she just might join SF and chime in. (j/k)

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
People still read Paglia? Wow! I think we need to send her this thread; she's probably so happy to be mentioned in a discussion-context again she just might join SF and chime in. (j/k)
As neither a homosexual nor a leftist, I have no need to call her a race traitor and can read her without disdain. Since she is an academic, she only needs to be witty and offer the occasional insight to be worth my time. By those measures, she is fine for me. You, obviously, carry different bags.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
As neither a homosexual nor a leftist, I have no need to call her a race traitor and can read her without disdain. Since she is an academic, she only needs to be witty and offer the occasional insight to be worth my time. By those measures, she is fine for me. You, obviously, carry different bags.
Actually, I was completely joking. I like Paglia and read her with interest; I guess I should have been clearer in my post in being tongue-in-cheek (I thought the "j/k" at the end sufficed... I guess not!). My reason for making the joke about people "still reading her" is just because all of my snooty university colleagues in the Philosophy, Criticism, Gender Studies, etc. departments all turn up their noses at her. I tried bringing her up a few months back in a conversation and you should have heard the collective "guffaw!" I also had an extra copy of Sexual Personae for which I was trying to find a good home in the department and couldn't get ANYBODY to take it... for free!

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Sounds like somebody needs a Karl Lagerfeld teddy bear.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Actually, I was completely joking. I like Paglia and read her with interest; I guess I should have been clearer in my post in being tongue-in-cheek (I thought the "j/k" at the end sufficed... I guess not!). My reason for making the joke about people "still reading her" is just because all of my snooty university colleagues in the Philosophy, Criticism, Gender Studies, etc. departments all turn up their noses at her. I tried bringing her up a few months back in a conversation and you should have heard the collective "guffaw!" I also had an extra copy of Sexual Personae for which I was trying to find a good home in the department and couldn't get ANYBODY to take it... for free!
I didn't see it. Sorry. I got annoyed by the reflexive non-substantive dismissal, which is typical of academics and even more typical of academics towards their race traitors. I see you encountered the same reaction. I am not a huge Paglia fan, mostly because I don't care at all about her academic field. On the other hand, I enjoy her punditry. Again, sorry for the misdirected snappiness.
Originally Posted by RJman
Sounds like somebody needs a Karl Lagerfeld teddy bear.
If you buy it, I will gladly take it in.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I am not a huge Paglia fan, mostly because I don't care at all about her academic field. On the other hand, I enjoy her punditry.

No worries; I think our views on Paglia are the same. When I faced that dismissiveness (and, boy was I surprised... I expected someone to say "Oh, thanks for the book," but I literally got the same look that I would have gotten trying to give away Danielle Steele's "Palomino") I figured it was better just to let it go. I don't care enough about her to go down with THAT ship.

If RJMan gets me a KL bear, I'll share custody with you. You can have it two weekends per month.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads