1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ascots

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JuniorJetSet, Oct 19, 2004.

1. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

has anyone here seen this site? gentleman's emporium this has nothing to do with ascots per se, but i thought it relevant nonetheless.

2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

3. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

i like the 'dragon vest.'

4. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

(matadorpoeta @ 19 Oct. 2004, 12:22) has anyone here seen this site? gentleman's emporium this has nothing to do with ascots per se, but i thought it relevant nonetheless.
    What could their client base possibly be? Â Theatre companies doing revivals of Our Town?
    heh heh, close. from their 'about us' page:
    probably some entrepreneurial SCA members.

5. faustian bargain

on a related note, i found this site earlier today: The Gentleman's Page has some neat information and pictures regarding 19th-century gentlemen's dress and manners. perhaps useful if you want to see what happened *before* the holy 1930's. /andrew

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Ascots are perfectly acceptable accessories. Although one needs an inherent personality to carry it off. Much like the aforementioned neckerchiefs that were actually rather popular during the 70's.

David Niven also wore an ascot as opposed to the more flamboyant Paul Lynde.

7. faustian bargain

i love watching old hollywood squares... ooh here's another one: don knotts, especially in three's company.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Yes, quite witty. Sometimes in a risque manner. Paul, in what famous book will you read about a talking ass who wonders why it's being beaten? I read it, "The Joy of Sex."

9. Manton

10. petescolari

petescolari Senior member

Everytime I see an ascot, I can't help but to think of the scene in Caddyshack when Judge Smails (Ted Knight) is christening his boat (The Flying Wasp) while wearing an ascot.

"It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and you've got the stock market beat. But the man worthwhile is the man who can smile when his shorts are too tight in the seat. Ha, ha, heh, heh."

Eat your fat Spaulding.

11. Kaga

Kaga Senior member

IMMSMC, I prefer the lace-jabot and multi-colored suspenders ensemble. Fuji Television felt that the ascot was just not effete enough.

12. faustian bargain

some more paul lynde hollywood squares quotes (apologies for the earlier misspelling of his name):
    Ted Knight - brilliant.
    I'm trying to think of another ascot-wearing actor/comedian, similar in spirit to Paul Lynde - he wore glasses...can't remember his name. Last name might have been 'Reilly'. anyone?

1 person likes this.
  13. Manton

14. funkyprez

funkyprez Well-Known Member

When worn in this day and age it's more of a costume accessory, like a white powdered wig. Andre 3000 of Outkast ("ascot to match the socks") and that Bentley guy can get away with it, as it is the costumed look they want to portray.

I've seen some French men wear it without a hint of irony.

15. faustian bargain

BINGO. i found him the same time you posted his name. [​IMG] ***edit: because angelfire sucks

16. Leo Jay

Leo Jay Senior member

Hmm, I had the same problem trying to post his pic. Couldn't find an actual ascot pic, though -- only a neckerchief...

17. faustian bargain