• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ascot or Cravat - yes or no?

gregor

Reaction score
There has been a huge thread going about bow ties and how they are for douche bags, etc (I disagree) but I'm wondering how SF feels about Ascots.

Are they SF approved?
Do you wear them?
In what situation would they look foolish?
etc

If you can, post pictures of good ascot/cravat looks!!
Lets hear your thoughts on them!

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing ascots, especially when young, can easily come across as affected and snobbish. It works for some older gents quite well though.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whatever chance of Ascots or Cravats being acceptable in Australia went out the window soon after the launch of a TV show called Master Chef, judged by this fella
Cravat-a-licious.jpg

tweedydon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I occasionally wear a wool/silk paisley cravat, paired with a fraying tattersall shirt, battered and holey shetland jersey, and decaying Harris tweed, at winter country fairs/shows. I like the look, it's practical for keeping my neck warm, and I've never had anything but positive comments.

Of course, my having two or three hunting dogs with me might help dispel accusations of affectation....

Edit: Think the opposite of the above Mr. Preston....

Professor Chaos

Reaction score
I like them, but I think very few men can pull them off. I like to pretend I'm one of them, and I'm narcissistic enough to believe it's true.

But realistically, it does take a lot of panache to pull this off.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you interview for work, they are perfect for you.

- B

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaypee
Whatever chance of Ascots or Cravats being acceptable in Australia went out the window soon after the launch of a TV show called Master Chef, judged by this fella
Cravat-a-licious.jpg

Beat me to it Jaypee. The walrus's signature... yawn

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gregor
There has been a huge thread going about bow ties and how they are for douche bags, etc (I disagree) but I'm wondering how SF feels about Ascots.

Are they SF approved?
Do you wear them?
In what situation would they look foolish?
etc

If you can, post pictures of good ascot/cravat looks!!
Lets hear your thoughts on them!

Wearing ascot is perfectly fine for any ages, as long as they're weather appropriate (best for spring and fall), and keep them in as much as you can, don't make them oozing out of your collar.

PTWilliams

Reaction score
Went to my daughters school concert as shown. When asked about the ascot, simply said " I would have worn a tie, but I would have felt like a pretentious twit"
Yes, the pocket square matches the ascot
Yes, too much of the ascot was exposed.
But, I liked the look and I had fun.

The key is to simply be comfortable, and not take yourself too seriously.
I mean, look at the total crap most people wear, bless their hearts.

(I was told, in the South you can say anything you want about anyone, as long as you end it with " bless their heart".)

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PTWilliams, is it acceptable to wear a matching ascot and pocket square? Bless their heart.

PTWilliams

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
PTWilliams, is it acceptable to wear a matching ascot and pocket square? Bless their heart.

No, its more like "Vox doesn't have the sence to know that coprolite on his lapel is fresh, bless his heart"

dv_indian

Reaction score
I watch reruns of Three's Company. Mr Furley wears a Cravat/Ascot almost all the time. It looks good on him, actually.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaypee
Cravat-a-licious.jpg

Cravats have actually become popular in this country because of Preston.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear one every other day. Three are silk (navy w/ polka dots, solid emerald, and white w/ lavender paisley), other two are cloth (dark blue, lighter blue, taupe, all with ring patterns). Looks good on some totally awful on others. Matt, Globe, and Red can all attest to my wearing an ascot to Tokyo meetups.

I get compliments and odd stares in the US (landing in SFO and SLC I was met with many stares) and just compliments in Japan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads