1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ascot on Campus?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by camorristi, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Mr Knightly

Mr Knightly Member

It's not hard to "get away" with an ascot. They key is to make sure it's barely visible. The Robert Downey Jr. photo is the wrong way to do it. It should be a tiny bit of silk visible beneath your collar. If you approach it this way, you should be fine. Also, steer clear of bold patterns.

Also, and this is certainly a larger topic, if you're trying something new, you should carefully select the right circumstances to introduce the new element. Just wearing an ascot to class might not be the best idea. A dinner or cocktail party would be better. Really, anything where your classmates are likely to dress up a bit more than usual would be good. Test the waters in those situations first.

2. Mute

Mute Senior member

NO! However, if you really want to stand out, you should go for ass-less chaps.

3. blahman

blahman Senior member

Christmas parties are the perfect occasions to try new things. If you pull it off, you get compliments (or poon) and if you can't pull it off you can pass it off as a fun silly costume accessory.

4. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Nobody is going to get attacked for it (well, outside of high school), but college is a pretty damn casual place these days. I very rarely saw anyone wearing anything more formal than jeans. A sport coat on a student would draw considerable attention, a tie more, and most people would have no idea what an ascot even was much less why anyone would be wearing one.

5. cronicmole

cronicmole Senior member

Id fight you.seriously.

6. onix

onix Senior member

A true SF'er is always prepared to physically dominate anyone who disagrees with his sartorial choice, even if it's an ascot. So yeah, bring it on brother.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  7. blahman

blahman Senior member

And that is why a real SFer always have a glove handy.

8. viator

viator Senior member

This thread is useless without real-world photos. To those of you in favor of ascots, would someone please post a photo of an actual young person wearing one where you feel it works?

9. pingpongball

pingpongball New Member

As an ex-public schoolboy at an Ivy-League university, I have to say.....NO.
    "If you have to ask, you can't pull it off"

10. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

I get what you're saying JLib, but by your own admission it's 47 year old advice, so it might be nearing it's expiration date. I don't question your good taste in classical men's dress, but I'm not sure campuses are anymore the place for the aforementioned classical men's dress. These days I expect to see more cheap cotton sweatshirts (with optional 700 dollar flannel trousers.)

11. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Perhaps the most sensible assessment in this thread.

I don't know why it is that displaying a couple inches of colored silk at one's throat evokes such strong emotions. An ascot discreetly worn (as it always should be) is much less conspicuous and less formal than a necktie, yet it usually elicits a much stronger reaction among those who think about such matters at all.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  12. blahman

blahman Senior member

^^ Its never about about the physical, or how much can be seen. It's about what impression it gives, or what it seems to represent once it is seen.

13. mandom

mandom Active Member

Nothing says "douche bag" in a movie better than an ascot. That being said, I was visiting Spain a few years ago and saw a young man wearing an ascot with a medium point collar shirt with jeans. I think it looked excellent! Ascots coupled with very casual stuff can really work to add sprezz in one's look.
    I think caution must be raised when you mix ascots with navy blue blazers, dress shirts, slacks and moccasins. You will need the following to make it work, as follows to wit, a: 1) yacht; 2) a loaded trust fund; 3) a IV in the end of your surname and 4) friend like Oleg Cassini (and/or George Hamilton) as BFFs.

14. Xenos

Xenos Senior member

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángele
    The problem is that ascots are almost always worn incorrectly. Most people wear them a la Thurston Howell, III, or that Robert Downey, Jr. pic, i.e., covering the entire Adam's apple and starting right under the chin. That's the douchebag way. If you wear it underneath the Adam's apple, it's only a bit more visible than a crewneck t-shirt. A subtle hint of color.

15. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

Try it. Post some pictures here afterwards. The rabid criticism you receive from strangers on the internet regarding every minute detail of your outfit will undoubtedly be a satisfying reward for the minor inconvenience of having stood out uncomfortably among your peers and forever being known as "the ascot guy" during the remainder of your five-year sentence.

16. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

There is no turning back if you do. You must aspire to be the campus fop until you graduate day in day out, every event, if you do. You can't vacillate between this style and then where a hoodie and jeans some other day.

It takes time to build a persona, or style.

17. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Why do people insist on saying dumb things like this?

18. Gorpomon

Gorpomon Well-Known Member

My two cents, tell anyone who says "If you gotta ask then you can't" to go to hell.

You're not a character in an Ayn Rand novel who is some well spring of self-security, you're asking anonymously on the internet to just get everyone's opinions, it doesn't mean you lack "swagger".

Wear what you want to wear, as long as you do it honestly and free of pretension, then it can work. Now... you might look at pictures of yourself in a few years and kick yourself... but life is to be lived, not just spent pondering how to best live.

Finally, gotta agree with this guy below, ASCOT HATE CRIMES STATISTICS = 0

19. Mr Knightly

Mr Knightly Member

[​IMG]

Pulled this off of facebook. I don't mind it when it's done this way. It's barely noticeable.

20. Mr Knightly

Mr Knightly Member

Double-post

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011