Ascot on Campus?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by camorristi, Nov 14, 2011.

1. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

Out of curiosity where did you go to school? I think any fraternity man wearing an ascot in a manner evening approaching serious would have his ass dutifully kicked by his own brothers on my campus.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011

2. rathebaindc

rathebaindc Senior member

Yep, you beat me to the punch. I was going to say ascot on campus = asskicked on campus.

3. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

I do, but I already have a reputation for foppish dress. I have to agree with the "if you have to ask, you can't pull it off" guys. Its not so much that you need balls to do it, but you need to be really secure in telling other people to fuck off when they laugh.

4. GBR

GBR Senior member

Not unless you wish to appear a complete arsehole

5. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Not counting my wife, nobody has ever hassled or ridiculed me or tried to kick my ass for wearing an ascot or similar neckwear. Not when I was a young man, and not now.

6. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

I once wore one at my campus, but my ascot beat up.

7. Yodan731

Yodan731 Member

Is there a building there named after you? If not then leave then ascot at home.

8. Ceravelo

Ceravelo New Member

I think the times have changed and are more appropriate for men who are willing to give the ascot a chance. I recently started a business that deals strictly with the creation of original ascots from re-purposed material. Before starting the online venture, we did a lot of research on people's perception of the neck wear. In our studies we actually found that a lot more men are willing to break the traditional barriers of "accepted" forms of dress. As a whole they are increasingly trying to find new ways to express themselves either for personal gratification or to appeal to the opposite sex.

I live in San Francisco, CA and have never once experienced a negative reaction when wearing the ascot. When we started selling at the fashion fairs and online our purchase statistics showed that interest in the ascot spanned across all ages: 25 - 45, both male and female, gay and straight. If I had to pin a certain majority I would definitely say most interest came from men in their 30's to 40's but really it was a good mix.

If done in good taste I 100% agree that you could pull the ascot off on a college campus. If it's your aim to impress the opposite sex I guarantee you that there will be at least one girl who approaches you or makes a positive comment. As long as you can handle any ridicule from the haters I say go for it.

In case you feel like checking the company out - www.ceravelo.com

9. Von Franz

Von Franz Senior member

It depends on how you usually dress.

It's not going to be well-received if you're generally seen in jeans, and then try to dress them up with the sweater and ascot.

The best way to go about it is to make sure everything else you have on is beyond reproach, put on some appropriate shoes (loafers would be best), and do it in a very, very understated way.

You must be extraordinarily careful not to draw attention to it.

Choose a dark, subtle one, go with the crew neck sweater so as to keep your shirt collar in place around your throat, and make sure it's hardly visible.

Again, it depends on whether your normal style is conducive to that kind of thing, in the most classically correct sense.

A neckerchief really would be better, though.

-VF

10. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

For some reason, this just cracks me up.

Not really the ideal test market, considering.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/267683/...ust-be-seen-to-be-believed-and-i-dont-want-to

11. PTWilliams

PTWilliams Senior member

I believe that ties are difficult-to-clean, difficult-to-iron, expensive pieces of fabric strategically placed to receive all food stains. Ascots, by contrast, provide elegant neckwear safely tucked out of the way so that food and drink can land on the shirt, which is easily laundered. (just noticed a stain on the Brioni tie I wore to dinner)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011

12. Ceravelo

Ceravelo New Member

I was waiting for someone to take advantage of commenting on that fact :)

13. Ceravelo

Ceravelo New Member

14. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Yep.

"Ascot and pocket squares
    that's what every cool guy wears!"

15. Risk_Reward

Risk_Reward Well-Known Member

You are more likely to get your ass beat. You are also more likely to get laid (women like peacocking). risk - reward

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011