• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ascot Chang: Button Quality

dan'l

Reaction score
I made several shirts with Ascot Chang last year in Hong Kong. The shirts fit very well and I am quite pleased with them. However, I have noticed several chipped buttons on two of the shirts. When I first noticed a chipped button on my sleeve, I thought that perhaps I had inadvertently damaged the button while placing my arm down on a table or desk. But as I checked all of the buttons on my shirts, I noticed chipped buttons on both the sleeves as well as on the body of the shirts. I think I've worn and washed each shirt 8 or 10 times.

Now before you all suspect damage due to dry cleaning, I launder all my shirts at home. I machine wash them with cold water on the gentle cycle and do not dry them in a dryer. I am careful when ironing, and always iron around the buttons.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem? I've had a lot of shirts made from various shirtmakers and have never had this problem. Occasionally some buttons were not properly sewed on, but chipped and broken buttons - never.

I will be visiting HK later this month and plan on showing the shirts to AC. I hope they will exchange the chipped buttons for me.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I made several shirts with Ascot Chang last year in Hong Kong. The shirts fit very well and I am quite pleased with them. However, I have noticed several chipped buttons on two of the shirts. When I first noticed a chipped button on my sleeve, I thought that perhaps I had inadvertently damaged the button while placing my arm down on a table or desk. But as I checked all of the buttons on my shirts, I noticed chipped buttons on both the sleeves as well as on the body of the shirts. I think I've worn and washed each shirt 8 or 10 times.
Now before you all suspect damage due to dry cleaning, I launder all my shirts at home. I machine wash them with cold water on the gentle cycle and do not dry them in a dryer. I am careful when ironing, and always iron around the buttons.
Has anyone else experienced the same problem? I've had a lot of shirts made from various shirtmakers and have never had this problem. Occasionally some buttons were not properly sewed on, but chipped and broken buttons - never.
I will be visiting HK later this month and plan on showing the shirts to AC. I hope they will exchange the chipped buttons for me.

I would have expected you to have left Ascot Chang to make the shirts, they are te experts.

I have patronised AC for the last twenty years and have never had a chipped button - I suspect that you may be doing something wrong but have no clue what that might be.

dan'l

Reaction score

I would have expected you to have left Ascot Chang to make the shirts, they are te experts.
I have patronised AC for the last twenty years and have never had a chipped button - I suspect that you may be doing something wrong but have no clue what that might be.

As I wrote before, I have never had a chipped button on any of my other shirts. It seems strange that two shirts from AC would experience chipping. If it were just one, OK, perhaps I did something wrong or hit the button against a hard surface. However, I am talking about multiple buttons on two shirts.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My thick (4mm) MOP buttons are easy to chipped. The thin one is ok. U could either bring the shirt to them or ask them to give you buttons. Both are free of charge from my old experience

dan'l

Reaction score

My thick (4mm) MOP buttons are easy to chipped. The thin one is ok. U could either bring the shirt to them or ask them to give you buttons. Both are free of charge from my old experience

Thanks for the post, Fishball. My buttons are 2mm thick and I believe they are MOP, but not 100% sure. At any rate, I will bring my shirts in when I see them and ask that they be replaced.

rick07

Reaction score
When I was in Beverly Hills I visited the Ascot Chang store and eventually purchased 4 shirts but they're not cheap at all It hink it cost me more than $1000 for those shirts that I had tailored for a burly guy like me. But so far never had any problems with buttons.

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score

When I was in Beverly Hills I visited the Ascot Chang store and eventually purchased 4 shirts but they're not cheap at all It hink it cost me more than $1000 for those shirts that I had tailored for a burly guy like me. But so far never had any problems with buttons.

$1000 for 4 custom shirt from Ascot Chang seems about right. They are not cheap, but fit well.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Specify the "extra" thick MOP Buttons ( think Borrelli style). I have not had any issues in + 20 years of Shirts from AC.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads