1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ascot Chang: Button Quality

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dan'l, May 4, 2012.

1. dan'l

dan'l Senior member

I made several shirts with Ascot Chang last year in Hong Kong. The shirts fit very well and I am quite pleased with them. However, I have noticed several chipped buttons on two of the shirts. When I first noticed a chipped button on my sleeve, I thought that perhaps I had inadvertently damaged the button while placing my arm down on a table or desk. But as I checked all of the buttons on my shirts, I noticed chipped buttons on both the sleeves as well as on the body of the shirts. I think I've worn and washed each shirt 8 or 10 times.

Now before you all suspect damage due to dry cleaning, I launder all my shirts at home. I machine wash them with cold water on the gentle cycle and do not dry them in a dryer. I am careful when ironing, and always iron around the buttons.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem? I've had a lot of shirts made from various shirtmakers and have never had this problem. Occasionally some buttons were not properly sewed on, but chipped and broken buttons - never.

I will be visiting HK later this month and plan on showing the shirts to AC. I hope they will exchange the chipped buttons for me.

2. GBR

GBR Senior member

I would have expected you to have left Ascot Chang to make the shirts, they are te experts.

I have patronised AC for the last twenty years and have never had a chipped button - I suspect that you may be doing something wrong but have no clue what that might be.

3. dan'l

dan'l Senior member

As I wrote before, I have never had a chipped button on any of my other shirts. It seems strange that two shirts from AC would experience chipping. If it were just one, OK, perhaps I did something wrong or hit the button against a hard surface. However, I am talking about multiple buttons on two shirts.

4. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

My thick (4mm) MOP buttons are easy to chipped. The thin one is ok. U could either bring the shirt to them or ask them to give you buttons. Both are free of charge from my old experience

5. dan'l

dan'l Senior member

Thanks for the post, Fishball. My buttons are 2mm thick and I believe they are MOP, but not 100% sure. At any rate, I will bring my shirts in when I see them and ask that they be replaced.

6. rick07

rick07 Well-Known Member

When I was in Beverly Hills I visited the Ascot Chang store and eventually purchased 4 shirts but they're not cheap at all It hink it cost me more than $1000 for those shirts that I had tailored for a burly guy like me. But so far never had any problems with buttons.

7. Timeless Fashion

Timeless Fashion Senior member

$1000 for 4 custom shirt from Ascot Chang seems about right. They are not cheap, but fit well.

8. earthdragon

earthdragon Senior member

Specify the "extra" thick MOP Buttons ( think Borrelli style). I have not had any issues in + 20 years of Shirts from AC.