1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

As stupid as this sounds: Might I be allergic to denim?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mixedmajik, Oct 16, 2013.

1. mab91

mab91 New Member

I have the same outbreaks a few times a year. I have excema but I think it's contact dermatitis. It only happens if I wear jeans and it either rains or it's really hot outside. It itches like crazy and gets red. If I scratch it, it stays for a couple weeks but if I don't, it usually fades away within a few days. It's usually on my backside but it recently started happening on my upper thigh. Don't know if that helps but at least you know you're not the only one suffering!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. mixedmajik

mixedmajik Senior member

Constantly forget I made this topic and then see the alerts in my inbox. Anyway I seriously think this in bold might be it. The contact dermatitis mab mentioned is possible as well. Of course I'll never know because I have since stopped wearing jeans after the creation of this topic. Unfortunately, to this day the back of both of my legs have a seemingly permanent scar tissue over them in the affected area; it does not even feel like skin anymore if you touch those regions so perhaps some irreversible damage was done.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  3. SDCripps

SDCripps New Member

Don't know if you ever found your answer, but here is an excerpt from another page I thought you might find interesting:

"Causes of Allergic Reaction to Clothes
    An allergic reaction to clothes is mostly caused by the glues, dyes, tanning agents, chemical additives and formaldehyde finishing resins used in the processing of the fabric as opposed to the fabric itself. Clothing or fabric that has been contaminated with oils, grease, creosote, pitch or coal tar can cause an allergic reaction such as folliculitis or acne.

Urushiol is a type of oil present in ivy and oak plants. When this oil gets in contact with your clothing, allergic contact dermatitis can result. Metallic dust particles including arsenic trioxide as well as antimony trioxide can adhere to your clothes and cause allergic contact dermatitis and red, elevated, blistering lesions.The waistband and brassieres used in pants and underwear can cause allergic contact dermatitis in the areas of the skin they have been in contact with."

Source: http://www.livestrong.com/article/547341-symptoms-of-an-allergy-to-clothing/#page=1

- Sarah

4. bowthy123

bowthy123 New Member

I have similar issues with skin on legs...problem went away during a summer of chinos and shorts. But came back after just a day wearing jeans!