• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

"As seen in Maxim..."

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
Is that price high for worn shoes?

As I write this post, the Lobbs are at $152.50 with a lot of time to go till the end of the auction. If they were to go for $152.50(which they most assuredly will not), I think it would be one of those Ebay steals!

Heck, the seller is showing some decent close-up pictures of the shoes, including the soles. The wear doesn't look that bad. And they come with the Lobb shoe trees and the shoe covers.

Does anyone else think these "worn" JL's are priced high at $152.50?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Seller seems confused. Should we tell him "Seymour" is the model name, not the signature of the guy who made the shoes?

he also seems to think that these RTW JLs were $4,500 shoes.

I think the price is good. They're not my size. What I love, though, is that he's included the Maxim article in his listing.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Seller seems confused. Should we tell him "Seymour" is the model name, not the signature of the guy who made the shoes?

on the other hand, we could "correct him and tell him that butts, seymour is the complete name of the guy who made the shoes.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
devil: QUOTE=acidicboy]on the other hand, we could "correct him and tell him that butts, seymour is the complete name of the guy who made the shoes.
[/quote]

The guy who made the shoes is "Seymore Butts". He is a bespoke "Birthday Suit Maker", that works part time for Lobb.

He is the Boootmaker of choice for Sir Ron Jeremy, though some say Seymore's work is quite backward!

DNW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"Lack of high-gloss shine equals high quality" Maxim Magazine.
So, should we all stop spit shining our shoes? Don't want to come across as wearing shitty shoes.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
So, should we all stop spit shining our shoes? Don't want to come across as wearing shitty shoes.

He, or maxim, mens that we shouldn't mistake that distinctive "Bostonian" finish for quality.

jmatt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
...And they come with the Lobb shoe trees and the shoe covers....
No - you read that wrong. These particular shoes come with two shoe horns to help keep the shoes' shape.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's hilarious, I saw that listing 2 days ago and considered posting about it..

Check out his other items.

Selling John Lobbs and..... rims!

Lino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn

Perhaps it was an attempt at explaining the evils of corrected grain.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I think he also believes that shoe trees are called "horns".

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the idea of pre-worn shoes is particularly nasty, but YMMV.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.