• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As promised, pictures of my outfits

Trojanman74

Reaction score
^^^^ i just want to take a pair of dikes and cut the excess sole.

strazzaque

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dl20
The funny thing is I bet if the OP was properly fitted by someone with a clue about menswear...

Mate, it might be unintentional, but the degree of condescension in your post reeks of an overblown superiority complex/pretentiousness. Your subsequent post about BMWs (post #102) did nothing to allay this impression.

I apologise if I am being overly harsh on you, but the "clue about menswear" dig ticked me off, since no one called you out on it. OP likes what he likes. It is safe to say he chooses to wear what he likes, so the thinly veiled put-down is in poor taste.

SkinnyGoomba is one of the very few to hit the right balance in terms of constructive criticism. I also liked Mafoofan's comments.

Originally Posted by dl20
How old r u anyways? Why not take our advice and try some more form fitting clothing.... You seem to be wanting to differentiate yourself form the herd by wearing crazy and outlandish things. Try making a style statement by wearing elegant or even trendy type stuff.

Trends fade, what style statement would you be making, exactly, and how often do you change it? Differentiation can be a statement, and can be well received by an audience amenable to it.

It just happens that this one is not.

Again, I reiterate my sincerest apologies if I have misjudged you.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by strazzaque
Mate, it might be unintentional, but the degree of condescension in your post reeks of an overblown superiority complex/pretentiousness. Your subsequent post about BMWs (post #102) did nothing to allay this impression.

I apologise if I am being overly harsh on you, but the "clue about menswear" dig ticked me off, since no one called you out on it. OP likes what he likes. It is safe to say he chooses to wear what he likes, so the thinly veiled put-down is in poor taste.

SkinnyGoomba is one of the very few to hit the right balance in terms of constructive criticism. I also liked Mafoofan's comments.

Trends fade, what style statement would you be making, exactly, and how often do you change it? Differentiation can be a statement, and can be well received by an audience amenable to it.

It just happens that this one is not.

Again, I reiterate my sincerest apologies if I have misjudged you.

I like how you called my post out for being critical while such posts compose the majority of the previous 7 pages. What is condescending about stating that the OP is clueless when it comes to menswear? Nothing fits, his shoes are crazy and his ties are knotted like a softball. Is it his choice to wear these clothes? Clearly, but I doubt he is able to give us a discourse on the benefits of handwork in bespoke shirting.

The BMW comment was to illustrate a point. If the OP is proud to wear what he does then that is great, but don't expect a group like us to agree that sportcoats should be worn 3 sizes too big.

In closing, i'd rather see more guys his age wearing the suit in pic one when appropriate versus a hoodie and jeans hanging off their ass. On that I applaud him.

DL

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have my own opinions of the poster but refuse to give him the satisfaction of expressing them because i feel like this thread was one big cry out for attention. however, i would like to address the hatred for the four button suit. i truly believe a stylish person with a very well tailored four button can pull this look off. i would consider getting one just to proove a point but designers dont make them, most likely because there is no demand. sometimes we have to think outside of the box fashion has its way of making something rediculous something stylish over time.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
with apologies to the couple of guys from Balkan backgrounds here - spiffy looks just like a lot of guys I do business with in ex-yug. for what ever reason, macedonians and montenegrians seem to love those shoes and the huge super ibg tie knots.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who took the photos? That's the first time I've seen someone laying down to showcase their clothes.

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
this thread was one big cry out for attention.
+1.

Originally Posted by whacked
+1
FWIW, I call BS on those praising the OP's ability to "pull off" such outfits. Sorry, but in my book one does not "pull off" such montrosity just by snapping a handful of awkward pictures of yourself and post them on a online message board...

+1.

I think everything is horrible, but have we really stepped back and recognized what happened here? This is, as SuFu would say, NEXT LEVEL. You can even tell by my use of formatting.

His style is so bad people are coming out of the woodwork saying to the effect "I'm so ******* flabbergasted at what you're wearing I have to respect the decision." He is quite clearly on his own level, his own plateau of criticism.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman
Who took the photos? That's the first time I've seen someone laying down to showcase their clothes.

It gives off a very International Male vibe if I do say so myself.

lithium180

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
It gives off a very International Male vibe if I do say so myself.

Belorussia, Ukraine, Moldova...

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to try to response to the majority of the comments made. I want to cover all of the ones with substance. Let me know if I miss any (especially one's own) and be patient-- this will be a lot!

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
I was thinking, perhaps we should have a contest for the funniest response to this thread. Perhaps Kent Wang could sponser it, or I'd be willing to send them one of my pocket squares, which no one would want . . . heck, I'd send a tie, which no one would want, or some shoes, which . . . you get the idea.

Here are my picks so far:

Originally Posted by Piobaire
(re: pony shoes outfit) I think if you could have just somehow, included some stripes into this outfit, it would have worked.

This is the only comment that actually made me laugh out loud.

Originally Posted by antirabbit
Can we please give you a make over.
As a man of the church.....please tell me you do not "LOVE" your clothes?

I think you would honestly look fantastic in the right clothes.

With that said, you are so far from the sun on this you are careening off in the dark reaches of the milkyway heading for the edge of nothingness.....

I am not, for one, over joyed at your brazen show of personal pride in your choices.
I am rather saddened, this is sad. Like a puppy died in your amrs sad.....
Please stop making me sad?

Not so much funny, but very clever, and appreciated.

Originally Posted by J'aimelescravates
re: the clothes - I'm speechless.

I hate that sofa

Dude, dont hate on the sofa! Many vagabond musicians have slept on that sofa, as well as me on several angry nights, and it is COMFORTABLE!

Originally Posted by Kill the DJ
This is, as SuFu would say, NEXT LEVEL. You can even tell by my use of formatting.

Ok, that line was funny by itself. Moving on . . .

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Your clothes are all ill fitting. The jackets and jeans, particularly. If that is what people think look good from where you're from, more power to you.

Originally Posted by petitnoblesse
I am no Manton or AHarris style expert that being said...

You're suits all seem way too long for your body I am not sure if you are wearing a long when you should be a regular. The tie knots are either your signature, or just silly. What you are wearing is not conventional so maybe you can get away with the look. I couldn't I would just be laughed at. I think you would be much better suited in slimmer cuts, right now your suits look like an NFL analysts. A big part of style is fit,and that is one thing you are sorely lacking.

Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Putting the style of any individual item aside, I would urge you to reconsider the fit and tailoring of your clothing. Try a tailored jacket that flatters your build. The ones you have are very large and boxy. They make you look big, but not defined. They make you look shapeless. You might want to tone it down on the size of your tie, it is distracting, not flattering. Great fitting clothes and getting things in the right proportions will make you look your best.

Good luck on your satorial journey.

Originally Posted by esquilax
I can see that you like your jackets large and long, so what's with the light grey jacket in the sweater picture? The sleeves are much too short.

Have you tried on a "properly" fitting suit and dismissed the look, or are you just going by what you think looks good on you right now?

Originally Posted by appolyon
Part of dressing well is knowing when to follow the rules and when to break the rules. Here I see too many rules being broken with too much disregard.

And as other members have said you primary concern when choosing clothing is the fit. No matter how fine the materials are or how much handwork has gone into the garment, if it doesn't fit it is not worth buying. I think if we can at least get this through to you, and you adhere to this, you will become happier with the way you look.

Originally Posted by cheessus
If that's what you like, then thats cool. I just think that you need to get some of the jackets taken in the jeans hemmed so that at least the clothes fit on you better.

The fit is deliberate, mostly. First of all, my preference, and the general prefence of those I work with, is for larger, boxier looking fits, as opposed to the more European, closely tailored style that is popular here. I want coats that pretty much hang straight down, without bunching anywhere. If I were to wear something more fitted to a gig, the general consensus would be "that's too small" or more likely "dude that looks gay". Same for the length. Second of all, I largely buy off the rack, either brand new or in thrift stores. I would love a fully tailormade suit but it's just not in my budget, especially as I have to dress several times a week, and wearing the same thing repeatedly is not an option. Buying off the rack, suits that are more fitted generally do not fit well, whereas suits that fit more loosely look ok. If I could afford to have each and every coat tailored, I could probably find a great medium between the styles (boxy/tailored) that looks best, but it's simply not practical. I think my body is perhaps more oddly shaped than most, and all my coats would have to be specifically tailored.

I do go to an authentic Italian tailor (as in, from Italy) for hems, alterations, etc. He usually looks at what I bring him, shakes his head, and makes fun of me, but of course he takes my money just the same. I have had a few coats tailored by him and they look great. But he will always candidly tell me if he thinks whatever I bring him is worth his time and my money.

Oh, and as for the jeans, that's kind of my fault. I wasnt wearing a belt in the pictures, as it was trouble enough to change in and out of all the different outfits. I thought it wouldnt make a difference. But as a result, the jeans hung much lower. Other than that they are the correct (for my preference) size for me, which is 34/34.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To his credit, he probably dresses better than 95% of the people from Wisconsin.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads