• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As if there weren't yet enough Boot threads...

Kohan

Reaction score
Hello all,

Could anyone please recommend one go-to pair of boots for a starving student? (For wearing, not eating, mind you) My limit is $200, and I need the typical jeans-to-dressy-casual versatility. It also snows here from time to time.

And I just don't vibe with desert boots, I don't know why.

Thanks in advance,

Kohan

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
7954-529367-p.jpg
Red Wing Gentleman Traveller, around $210 at some sites

Schnurretiger

Reaction score
You're too poor to buy cheap shoes. Might be a bit more than your 200, but look for R.M. Williams, or Barker's Boston or Harrison.
Barker's Vernon is on sale at Pediwear right now.

Eagle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
...Red Wing Gentleman Traveller, around $210 at some sites

Agreed! The Gentleman's Traveller would be the perfect choice.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Redwing is a great looking boot, but the Australian dollar is so weak that you can get a RM Williams boot shipped at around the same price. Try www.bootsonline.com

Kohan

Reaction score
Those Barker Bostons look perfect--that or the Johnson-- so I'm going to try and find a pair in town to at least try on. I'll look for the Red Wing as well, just because I seem to read its name at least 4 times a day on this forum!

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

--Kohan

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How 'bout a pair of brown chelseas?

25109_l.jpg

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you truly want a boot for snow, jeans, and dress casual, you need to look at the Crockett and Jones Tetbury. The Gentleman Traveler will not work for dress casual (I'm assuming you mean office casual / cocktail hour) ; both the toe and sole scream 'working boot'.

emptym

Reaction score
These Sanders are about $150 shipped from England through messdress.com:
flexwel5634bm9.jpg
If pediwear does their price match plus 5% off, I may get them there, where the normal price would be more like $210 shipped.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

highball

Reaction score
I'm having the same dilemma right now. I think eventually I will buy both a pair of Frye engineers for general everyday wear and a pair of RM Williams chelseas for both occasional causal wear and "dressy" wear with a suit or dress trousers. Both boots seem to have a good reputation around here. However, I'm not sure which to get first since I'm on a limited budget.

I think the first decision you should make is how dressy do you want the boots to be able to go. If they need to go with a suit, get a pair of nice chelseas as suggested above. If you're looking at more of a Red Wing style boot, I would instead go with a Frye which can do a "work" boot, but can also be dressed up a bit.

Kohan

Reaction score
I definitely am aiming more for streetwear-to-dressy-casual than anything resembling work, which is why I've been wary of the Gentleman Travelers. Something like a Chelsea is what I'll probably get, but I may have to try out the Russel Moccasin chukkas just to see if they are as absurdly comfortable as they look.

Anyone know of a good place in St Louis to check out boots? I'd rather try them out in person before going through the online ordering process.

Again, muchas gracias.

--Kohan

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics