• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

As a bigger guy do you find classic menwear to be difficult to obtain?

TexasToast

Reaction score
I've never found one stop shopping as a bigger guy, I go to CT for shirts Beckett Simonon for shoes Sam Hober for ties. I have yet to find a decent place for trousers yet can barley find jeans that work with me.

I really don't expect one stop shopping for everything because thats a pipedream but it would be nice to find trousers at the same place that I get shirts from you know, Don't get me started on socks, I spoke to customer service of one of the most prestigious sock makers and was there is no market in socks size 14 and I should get bespoke socks lol.

Imagine if New Balance said there was no market in making shoes in size 14 there would be an uproar at least from me lol. I just find it really frustrating that I cant find good looking trousers readily this isn't the 1800's even then they had fat Oligarchs. Sure I can lose weight and Im doing that but my money is green just like the skinny guy down the block.

Rant over and mic dropped.

Last edited:

TexasToast

Reaction score
I guess Styleforum only consists of abercrombie and fitch models 😆

papado

Reaction score
I've never found one stop shopping as a bigger guy, I go to CT for shirts Beckett Simonon for shoes Sam Hober for ties. I have yet to find a decent place for trousers yet can barley find jeans that work with me.

I really don't expect one stop shopping for everything because thats a pipedream but it would be nice to find trousers at the same place that I get shirts from you know, Don't get me started on socks, I spoke to customer service of one of the most prestigious sock makers and was there is no market in socks size 14 and I should get bespoke socks lol.

Imagine if New Balance said there was no market in making shoes in size 14 there would be an uproar at least from me lol. I just find it really frustrating that I cant find good looking trousers readily this isn't the 1800's even then they had fat Oligarchs. Sure I can lose weight and Im doing that but my money is green just like the skinny guy down the block.

I'm far from a stick being 6ft and ~200lbs but every build has its difficulties. I've found I can really only make MTM or bespoke shirts work (I can squeeze into second largest kamakura slim shirt but it's not super comfortable; Cavour Sartoria cm41/16" actually is quite good but cuffs are a little big and sleeves a tiny bit too long) and for trousers it's all about experimentation and finding a block which fits your build. Honestly I've found the Rota NMWA higher rise cut work in a true to size fashion and the Cavour single pleat cut work in a size up as they're quite tapered; they both make EU56s which might work for you. I have muscular legs from tennis so I haven't been able to wear something like SuitSupply for quite a while haha. What are your trouser dimensions that you need? That's normally a good starting point to find similar models. Also are you looking for belt loops/ tabs/etc? Those will help pinpoint what might work for you.

Regarding socks, I believe they have socks in your size for basic colors in OTC lengths: https://boardroomsocks.com/collections/over-the-calf-dress-socks/13-16?sort_by= if you want MiUSA and then if you want more 'menswear' ones then they should have plenty of socks which range into your size as well (I think EURO equivalent of your size 14 is like a 47/48 but they have the conversions): https://meschaussettesrouges.com/en

TexasToast

Reaction score
I'm far from a stick being 6ft and ~200lbs but every build has its difficulties. I've found I can really only make MTM or bespoke shirts work (I can squeeze into second largest kamakura slim shirt but it's not super comfortable; Cavour Sartoria cm41/16" actually is quite good but cuffs are a little big and sleeves a tiny bit too long) and for trousers it's all about experimentation and finding a block which fits your build. Honestly I've found the Rota NMWA higher rise cut work in a true to size fashion and the Cavour single pleat cut work in a size up as they're quite tapered; they both make EU56s which might work for you. I have muscular legs from tennis so I haven't been able to wear something like SuitSupply for quite a while haha. What are your trouser dimensions that you need? That's normally a good starting point to find similar models. Also are you looking for belt loops/ tabs/etc? Those will help pinpoint what might work for you.

Regarding socks, I believe they have socks in your size for basic colors in OTC lengths: https://boardroomsocks.com/collections/over-the-calf-dress-socks/13-16?sort_by= if you want MiUSA and then if you want more 'menswear' ones then they should have plenty of socks which range into your size as well (I think EURO equivalent of your size 14 is like a 47/48 but they have the conversions): https://meschaussettesrouges.com/en
Thank you very much for your response I feel kind of lost in the trouser arena. I got some nice socks from Viccel so Im set with socks thanks. I will check out the company's you mentioned and hopefully there is something that I can adapt in my rotation. My trouser dimensions are pretty simple 48 waist, 34 inseam, 51 calf beyond that I'd probably need a tailor to tell me more lol. Belt loops are cool and Im willing to try side tabs. This is a lot of information to work with and I do appreciate your assistance because trousers are the weak point in my wardrobe.

Dan Dynamic

Reaction score

I am 5'10 190 lbs and usually have difficulties buying clothes. I got nearly 27 inch quads and 31 inch waist. For pants I buy De Petrillo Modello A (these are built for bigger guys). Those pants are a bit expensive though (300 USD).These are actually RTW so it is kinda unbelievable they fit my wheels. They have 13 inches in front rise so they are quite high waisted and the thighs are roomy. The leg opening is 10 inches. I specifically looked for a larger leg opening in order to minimize the risk for my legs looking like carrots. I think it looks proportional even though the leg opening is wider than conventional business casual trousers.

I have yet to find shirts that fit my torso though. Even if they fit my shoulders and chest, the sleeves are usually at least 2 inches too long. It is also usually the waist that is too puffy when going for a bigger shirt size.

I've kinda accepted that I should be buying MTM so I will probably send a pair of my De Petrillo pants to Luxire for replication. I will probably buy a MTM shirt acting as a "master" shirt and send this to Luxire as well for replication alternatively send my measurements to Tailorstore.

Dan Dynamic

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your response I feel kind of lost in the trouser arena. I got some nice socks from Viccel so Im set with socks thanks. I will check out the company's you mentioned and hopefully there is something that I can adapt in my rotation. My trouser dimensions are pretty simple 48 waist, 34 inseam, 51 calf beyond that I'd probably need a tailor to tell me more lol. Belt loops are cool and Im willing to try side tabs. This is a lot of information to work with and I do appreciate your assistance because trousers are the weak point in my wardrobe.
Your calves are bigger than your waist?

Featured Sponsor

When shopping for clothes do you (choose up to 2)

• Always return to the same brands/stores/websites

• Like to visit brick&mortar shops to see things in person

• Shop mainly online and take advantage of free returns

• Like to try new brands/stores/websites

• Shop mainly during the sales, regardless of the brand/store/website

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monepow