• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0, Paul Harnden, Taichi Murakami, Bor

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the new catch all thread for the so called "artisanal" designers, many of whom are considered "goth ninja", have some vague relationship with arte povera, etc...

Designers include, but are not limited to:
MA+, CCP, Layer-0, Paui Harnden, Taichi Murakami, Boris Bidjan Saberi, Forme D'Expression.

Enjoy.

Cheers,

Fok.

Taichi Murakami horse leather jacket via Lift. Very similar in weight and texture to the Layer-0 horse - wouldn't be surprised if it's the same source. Or horses just feel similar, who knows, I'm not a zoologist
As usual, excellent patterns for Taichi and sleeves that are too long. Taichi!! Cut your sleeves shorter!! I like to use my hands!!!! Also partially lined with tyvek - I don't like any part of a leather jacket being unlined.

More:

Last edited by a moderator:

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know how the collar or placket are CCP-esque, but the shoulders and pockets are much closer to MA+ than CCP:

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol the subject of who ripped off who still comes up in this thread? Jeez, I remember this from years ago
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png

Last edited:

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well you asked :)

I don't know how much more alike you think the jackets could be

Shoulders are both seam at the front raglan at the back
It's a jacket with a high collar, placket covering the zip
Pockets are square and jut out

What design feature do they not share?

Last edited:

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nobody in this thread seems too nasty about the subject, which is nice. I think it's interesting to know where designers take their influence. I sold my CCP to buy A1923 and my Paul to buy Bergfabel so the original isn't always best :)

Edit: I'll to snap a pic of the Taichi stuff, the fit is also completely different from CCP.

Last edited:

Mulan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At this point, I think we can all agree the artisan stuff is heavily influenced by CCP and Rick, especially in the arm length department. Fashion students in the future would probably mention them as sources of inspiration like how people name Helmut Lang and such as theirs.

Last edited:

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NN, I wasn't sold on the jacket before, but this full body fit looks really good. It fits you perfectly!

Also I thought the Taichi leather looked like CCP back in a preview photo, but now with the better Lift photos I believe it's very different. Sure it's a high neck leather, but if you look at the non-leather version, it's very much 'Taichi' in the direction he's been going this whole time.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The leather clocks in at just over 3k, yeah. And I can't fit into any of the pants either. I really, really like a lot of Taichi stuff on the racks - the details, the fabrics, the designs really nail it it some areas, but sometimes the fit doesn't work for me.

fistinyoface

Reaction score
No real measuring stick for me. Different leathers have their differing charms. Generally, though, I don't like the really thick leathers. My climate may have an influence on that.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Overall badassness I guess?

I have a Rick intarsia moto jacket and I threw it on yesterday with a tee and some red margiela flat front casual trousers and I'm going through my 487 pairs of shoes and boots and I ended up with two choices that worked: Light grey common projects, which worked fine and made it a fun, clean fit, but not as baller as it could have been...and my shiny navy Balenciaga side zip dress boots, which also worked fine and made it more baller, but a little more dressy than I wanted.

None of my baller boots (Carpes, Hashimotos, Guidis) worked like I wanted because they weren't sharp enough (literally or figuratively). Being a perfectionist, I realized that I needed a pair of elite black boots.

I want black leather, and not reversed. How many choices are there? Calf oil and horse oil? What are the distinguishing characteristics? I scuff my toes a good bit if that matters.

Last edited:

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, and I totally agree about the Tornados but they are a little pointy for my taste. Maybe I need to look around for something else entirely. I want the dual zips for my wardrobe as a whole, and the Intarsia is about the only sleek fashion jacket that I own. But I'm second guessing whether or not the A1923s will work with the Intarsia.

Here's the jacket if anyone else wants to offer a suggestion.

psydle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
new inAisce stuff just went up in case anyone is interested. Half of it is sold out due to private sales already. Weird way to launch as site. Cult as ****, you go Jona.
http://www.iaparticles.com/

psydle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had not assumed everyone wanted a unisex harem pant or skirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads