• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0, Paul Harnden, Taichi Murakami, Bor

Jmoinen

Reaction score
Hey,
Does anyone have experience with a1923 leather sizing and fit?
Been eyeing this one :
But not sure about the sizing. As you know darklands don’t provide measurements and from what I’ve read here Campbell’s eye for sizing is not necessarily to be blindly trusted. Would also like to hear what llama leather is like as a jacket material if someone has owned one.
Don’t know whether to go with a BBS j2 in horse or something more like the a1923 jacket.
Thanks in advance for any tips or insight.

anarch

Reaction score
Hey,
Does anyone have experience with a1923 leather sizing and fit?
Been eyeing this one :
But not sure about the sizing. As you know darklands don’t provide measurements and from what I’ve read here Campbell’s eye for sizing is not necessarily to be blindly trusted. Would also like to hear what llama leather is like as a jacket material if someone has owned one.
Don’t know whether to go with a BBS j2 in horse or something more like the a1923 jacket.
Thanks in advance for any tips or insight.

I had a similar model in llama leather once. The leather itself was soft, sturdy and reminded of Guidi horse. The sizing was indeed small. My jacket was a 50. At the time I was a 48 and could not really wear anything heavy underneath.

If you think the size would fit - then go for it. My jacket was great and I sometimes regret selling it.

eckblk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+ 1 for the llama being similar to Guidi soft horse

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been underwhelmed by the small amount of A1923 clothing I've handled

Jmoinen

Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone. I actually asked about the hem as it indeed looks way more uneven that I’d think is possible unless its intentional but what do I know.

And @skeen7908, while I greatly cherish your eloquent and evidently thought out response of unmeasurable value I’m not here to argue with the great literary talents of the 21st century such as yourself.

I’ll take these things into consideration. Heard some less nice things about a1923 beyond copying designs when browsing sf so might go with a bbs leather instead as I’m also a fan of contrast overlock stitching but we’ll see. Thanks guys.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone. I actually asked about the hem as it indeed looks way more uneven that I’d think is possible unless its intentional but what do I know.

And @skeen7908, while I greatly cherish your eloquent and evidently thought out response of unmeasurable value I’m not here to argue with the great literary talents of the 21st century such as yourself.

I’ll take these things into consideration. Heard some less nice things about a1923 beyond copying designs when browsing sf so might go with a bbs leather instead as I’m also a fan of contrast overlock stitching but we’ll see. Thanks guys.

Look into ma+ and ccp as well they both do overlock and the first seem better than BBS/A1923

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just get a ccp high neck (which this a1923 is obviously a direct rip off of) and be done with it

Mojo1990

Reaction score
I've handled Archivio JM Ribot.
I've got a summer blue & white check over-shirt paired with a beautiful crewneck white vintage cotton fabric shirt. Buttons on both pieces match. They are made of various shades of wood. The two pair really well together. The white fabric is exceptionally soft like silk. Unfortunately the fabric is no longer available. I only have positive things to say. Haven't tried on any trousers or collar shirts unfortunately.

With Artisan the image/styling is distinctive. Certain pieces go well with other pieces in the collection, whereas some pieces can be worn as standalone. I get a romantic vibe with Archivio JM Ribot, and a dash of sophistication.

Small dedicated team who appreciate your show of support.

With regards to Skelton, unfortunately I couldn't purchase the particular pieces I had my eye on. My access to online purchasing at Darklands had been revoked a few years ago ☹️?.
Love his Victorian Vibe. The patterns and locally sourced fabrics are excellent.

AlexanderTG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aw, that's a drag about Darklands. Sorry to hear.
In between me asking about him and last night, I ended up picking up a very nice Skelton piece: a beautiful shirt/jacket (pics from their IG so I don't think I'm breaking any rules)

As for Archivio, thanks to Eck I was turned on to Karim's stuff a few years ago. Have a couple of jackets that I absolutely love.

It's been a while since I've been excited about getting a new piece after kopping so much over the last few years. But if this ends up fitting and looking as nice as I'm hoping I think there will be more JAS in the future.

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 9.54.08 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 9.58.32 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 9.58.42 AM.png

Last edited:

ambivalence

Reaction score
JAS work more with linen and natural dyeing process

But I personally prefer Archivio as Karim source for antique fabrics and antiques buttons

Ss20 JAS
03030785-0258-4B48-B6E1-2A56273FBE11.jpeg

749F1B0C-206D-4404-81A8-4F6CAFDFF150.jpeg

AlexanderTG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True about Archivio, (and I know because I have some and love it) however, I have seen a lot of antique fabrics whilst looking at JAS’s stuff, including a peak lapel blazer that I’m eyeing replete with some beautiful leftover embroidery.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads