Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0, Paul Harnden, Taichi Murakami, Bor

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by nicelynice, Aug 20, 2015.

1. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

The weekender is looking nice :nodding:

2. MagicalZechs

MagicalZechs Well-Known Member

@Chinorlz please post the outdoor fit photos here if you get the chance! Would love to seen the designs worn.

3. Chinorlz

Chinorlz Member

Will do sir!

4. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

Dropping by to say that your boro blazer is stunning, @Chinorlz . In my eyes, that material/fabric might fit the shape of the piece better than any of the others.

5. Chinorlz

Chinorlz Member

Thank you so much! That piece was incredibly challenging to not only cut out the pieces of but to construct. The original donje from which it was constructed was anywhere from 12-20 layers thick and the fabric is hemp which can be super dense and strong. Worked up quite a sweat and went through many rotary cutting blades just cutting out the pieces and only my heavy industrial leather sewing machine could handle bringing together that many layers at once!

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

@Chinorlz - how did you source that fabric? I would love to work with that material myself.

Incidentally, I think.... leather scissors might be a good tool with which to cut that material. It can cut through 12 ounce leather frighteningly easily. I've never tried cutting fabric with a surgical scalpel, though.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Welcome, and while the collections are already linked, it would be great if you could post them here as well. We reach a different audience than SZ, and I'd hate to see someone miss out on our collection because they didn't click a link.

8. Chinorlz

Chinorlz Member

@LA Guy, this single donje came directly from Japan thanks to a friend out there that could source out original boro pieces that weren't in tatters. A number of collectors out there that have pieces now and then that they are willing to part with.

I have leather scissors as well as ceramic ones for kevlar (another project) and although all of my blades can handle 1-5 layers of the material in one go, it is the sum of the parts that really made it difficult. Since each one of the layers had been hand sewn to the others over time as patch jobs, you were forced to treat them as a single "layer" yet difficult to cut through all of them together. Fresh scalpels were great to finish off precision corners, but those blades also dulled quickly. I liken it to trying to cut through 20 playing cards at once versus cutting through a few.

9. Chinorlz

Chinorlz Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 5th iteration of my 10 year long project Collateral Concepts

This collection focused on materials research (with kind collaboration from Sruli Recht), a story behind the fabrics and giving new life to old materials while refining tailoring concepts.

This is a highly limited collection with some works being standalone pieces and others only being available small editions.

All pieces will be constructed to order and I hope will involve a dialogue between the future owner and myself.

All pieces are made by myself from beginning to end in my studio.

All background photographs used here were taken by me in Taiwan earlier this year and were all taken at the old house where my father was born and raised. In a literal way, my works here are built on the foundation of my heritage.

With other endeavors requiring more and more of my attention including medical device design work, this may very well be my final collection. Even so, I look back at where I started years ago and am fascinated by the evolution of my work while still remaining true to creating pieces using special materials, building components by hand and taking the works through from idea all the way to execution.

Thank you all for your continued support in this endeavor. It has been, and continues to be an incredible experience!

10. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

Finally a wearable basking shark item.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016

11. myshoeiswet

myshoeiswet Senior member

Hot damn, @Chinorlz is a surgeon AND designer? I feel incredibly lazy now. [​IMG]

That Boro jacket is really something. Also, nice subtle touch with stitching your name into the leather bags.

12. Chinorlz

Chinorlz Member

@myshoeiswet haha just takes a bit of time management and late nights :)

Good eye! You're close... I used the chinese character for king for the stitching/anchoring for the bags. It was not initially on purpose as I was thinking about anchoring but I wanted something that remained symmetrical while generating multiple anchor points and it coalesced into that. I have a work bag that is a narrower version of the weekender that I carry daily and in that one specifically I stitched my family name in on one point:

[​IMG]

13. skeen7908

skeen7908 Senior member

The leaf/vein effect on that suede is ridiculously good
    Better than that CCP attempt

14. oulipien

oulipien Senior member

Yeah seriously. Frankly all of the jackets look amazing (and I really like the way the pockets look), but the vasculature side of the reversible jacket is stunning. Reminds me of moss agate a bit.

15. Lohikaarme

Lohikaarme Senior member

Chinorlz... gotta ask since the question will probably make me a bit sad...

How did you source the fabrics from Sruli/his team? I mean, I know you'll do the items 100% justice, but damn... that's just another nail in the coffin that he's gone off to do other stuff.

In a lighter note, I just gotta buckle down and save up for some Collateral goods!