• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Articles of Style shop?

CaptainTohm

Reaction score
I realize AOS probably isn't consistently SF approved, but I enjoy their non-ridiculous posts/features, and the guy who runs it seems to really know his stuff.

They just opened up an online "bespoke" store (sounds a lot like the process Kent Wang uses for MTM to me), that looks like it could be a really solid deal (despite abusing the term "bespoke").

Has anyone tried this out yet? What does everyone think of the collection/fitting process? When I eventually go MTM it's hard to imagine I'd choose anything besides KW, but I must admit I'm realllllly curious about these AOS offerings...

Link: https://shop.articlesofstyle.com

KrazyKyle

Reaction score
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the graphite nailhead suit myself. I've been following their website/blog for a while, and I'm very intrigued by the new "bespoke" suit shop. $1,200 is a lot (for me) though to drop on something that doesn't have any user reviews...

KrazyKyle

Reaction score
From what I understand, you give them very basic measurements at first, then they send you a lesser quality suit to try on. You take 4 pictures, tell them what you like and don't like about the suit, and then they make the suit. The end. No more fittings or alterations...

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm saying don't buy into the gimmicks. You're paying for an online MTM suit/jacket made by Southwick. I wouldn't give my money to a place that needs to bait consumers, but that's just me.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you look closely, its a half-canvassed construction. I'm not saying don't go for it, but keep that in mind; and it really bothers me, how they call it bespoke - lol, really.

Last edited:

KrazyKyle

Reaction score
So what, in your opinion, is comparable to AOS's MTM/bespoke Southwick suits?

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So what, in your opinion, is comparable to AOS's MTM/bespoke Southwick suits?

Suit supply probably. It's hard to tell bc I haven't felt the fabric. But construction-wise, that seems appropriate according to what is on their website. Again, no hands on experience. I wouldn't go for it.

TOstyle

Reaction score
I'm going to chime in late.

While I like Articles of Style and read it regularly, I'm calling bullshit on this. This is clearly MTM, and it's done poorly since there aren't in-person fittings. No way that ends well.

And honestly, if the guys reviewed this as a service from their own perspective on the website, I doubt that would have good things to say about it - and I'm kind of disappointed this is the route they went.

doodledoc

Reaction score
The men featured on AOS look very trendy. The jackets are generally short and have exaggerated proportions (especially the waist). I don't think any of them look good in the clothing that they wear.

For example:

EDITmensstylekhaled-9-640x959.jpg

Why spend $1200 for a half canvas suit? They don't list what mill the cloth comes from. I'd go with Kent Wang which is full canvas and a fraction of the price.

I just saw this on their website: https://shop.articlesofstyle.com/s/faq

Are your suits fully canvassed?
Half canvassed. Having a canvas in the bottom half of the jacket panels only adds unnecessary weight and stiffness.

Cool story bro.

Last edited:

TOstyle

Reaction score
Why spend $1200 for a half canvas suit? They don't list what mill the cloth comes from. I'd go with Kent Wang which is full canvas and a fraction of the price.

Are your suits fully canvassed?
Half canvassed. Having a canvas in the bottom half of the jacket panels only adds unnecessary weight and stiffness.

Cool story bro.
Ha! That's pretty rich coming from these guys. Is it that hard to just be honest about the product you're selling, and not fake it and make excuses.

I mean, the most egregious thing is they call it bespoke. This is not even close to a besopke product.

On the $1200 cost, I personally don't think that's out of range - obviously depending on the mill. If it's a VBC product, I think that price is reasonable for a half-canvas suit. I just bought one at the price, and left more than happy. There is more that goes into it than just the canvas, that just seems like a handy thing to talk about - like thread count.

doodledoc

Reaction score
Ha! That's pretty rich coming from these guys. Is it that hard to just be honest about the product you're selling, and not fake it and make excuses.

I mean, the most egregious thing is they call it bespoke. This is not even close to a besopke product.

On the $1200 cost, I personally don't think that's out of range - obviously depending on the mill. If it's a VBC product, I think that price is reasonable for a half-canvas suit. I just bought one at the price, and left more than happy. There is more that goes into it than just the canvas, that just seems like a handy thing to talk about - like thread count.

If it's VBC, then I agree. But if you look at the suits on their website, it states something like this (https://shop.articlesofstyle.com/product/dark-chocolate-2-piece-double-breasted-suit):

• 100% Worsted Wool Imported from Italy
  • 9oz fabric weight (3 Season: Spring, Summer, Fall)

I choose one of their $1095 suits. That's not really descriptive and it honestly is going to fool customers that do not know very much about dress clothing. To most, "Italy" is associated with high quality clothing and the average customer is going to think this is a nice cloth when in reality, only AOS knows. This could be VBC but if it was, my guess is that AOS would state it is from VBC.

Good luck to AOS, but if anyone ever asked me to recommend a clothing company (can't imagine anyone that will), AOS will not be one of them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads