1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Articles of Style shop?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by CaptainTohm, Oct 25, 2015.

1. DanTrepanier

DanTrepanier New Member

Hey Guys,

Looks like I'm a little late to the party. Thanks Nick for sharing this thread with me - as one of our first clients, I'm really glad you love your suit and I wanted to thank you again for helping us refine our process. As a new business, we've been blessed with a great group of initial clients who've provided some very helpful feedback.

It looks like there are a lot of questions regarding our garments and fitting process. I will try to answer them here...if you have more specific questions, feel free to email me directly at service@articlesofstyle.com

1. Fabrics
    An update: we've gone ahead and added the fabric mill information for our cloths. The majority of the fabrics in our collection are milled in Italy and England (VBC, Ethomas, DiPray, Botto Giuseppe, Trabaldo Togna) but we also have some from Scotland (Robert Noble, Harris Tweed) and a couple from Korea (KiYoung). Each cloth is hand-picked myself, and I personally stand behind the quality of each fabric.

2. Canvassing
    Our garments are designed to be lightweight, unstructured, and versatile. Our goal is to make "lifestyle garments" with maximum wearability - that can transition from formal settings to casual occasions. In my opinion, a full canvas jacket doesn't work as well in a casual setting - nor does it really make sense with a natural shoulder or unlined jacket. Personally I've always preferred my lightweight half-canvas jackets, and as the designer of our collections, I think this creates the perfect balance for our clients.

3. Process
    Our fitting process is meant to be quick and easy. We heard from so many guys struggling with self-measuring, feeling uncomfortable with home visits, or tired of making several trips to their local tailor shop... Our goal was to make our fitting process simple and stress-free (just fill out your physical profile and take a few photos in your fitting garments) so that we (myself and our team of expert tailors) could handle all of the fitting and tailoring work for you... The best part is, once you've been fit for your first garment, you have the convenience of ordering at the click of a button. In Nick's case, for example, he no longer needs to do fittings and can build a life-long wardrobe from his smartphone... The fact that it seems "cumbersome" means we have some work to do to better explain our value proposition...

4. Design
    You can customize any of our garments to your design preferences. See here: http://articlesofstyle.com/design-options/ We also have access to additional fabrics, in case you're looking for something unique... I love working directly with our clients to advise them on design and help them create one-of-a-kind garments. We just did a off-white linen shawl collar tuxedo with cream grosgrain trim for a client's tropical wedding that I can't wait to see at his final fitting...

5. Pricing
    Pricing ultimately comes down to fabric cost. As we continue to add new garments to our collection we will be offering a wider range of price points. Given that our garments are made in America and every order includes one-on-one attention from our tailoring team to ensure the proper fit, in my opinion, this is the best value in custom tailoring online or in person... As they say, the proof is in the pudding - and I look forward to showing you guys our value as online tailors.

I hope that helps clarify some things. I will try my best to check back in here and answer more questions...but if you have a specific inquiry, feel free to email me directly at service@articlesofstyle.com - I do my best to answer within the hour.

Your in Style,
    Dan Trepanier
    www.ArticlesofStyle.com

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  2. cabinwood

cabinwood Member

Thanks Dan. Like I said before, you're the reason I bought the suit. I love the suit, but you just have a true passion for what do you and that's priceless. Also "cumbersome" has more to do with the website's interface than the garment process. There are some hiccups here and there. You're aware of the issues I'm sure and are working to fix them.

I'm no expert on the inner workings of men's attire, fabric sourcing, etc. I do understand general business and value props however. In my career I sell a product that you can get just about anywhere. Ultimately what sets my product apart is me and my company. When you buy a hose from us you're getting our experience, expertise, services, connections and liability. It costs us more to maintain our level in interaction with the clients are therefore we're more pricey. But you get what you pay for.

And for a company to offer the best products, stay innovative and constantly improve, price has to come into play. I get it. When it comes to justifying a price point the only thing that really matters is customer satisfaction. If the customer thinks it was worth the money then it usually is. I can't speak for fairness when compared to other brands or full canvassing etc.. I'm not that knowledgeable.

The suit feels sturdy and rugged and I expect it to last years. If it wears out by the end of the month then I guess we'll be posting in a different thread!

3. hillch12

hillch12 Member

Sorry to be bringing this thread back from the dead, but with all the comments about wanting to ask Dan questions, I'm very surprised no one jumped on this opportunity when he showed up. I'd like to hear Dan answer some tough questions from some of the more knowledgeable forum members. Is this no longer of interest to folks?

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  4. cabinwood

cabinwood Member

Maybe they emailed him personally. Or, maybe they just don't care that much lol. All I know is that if I had an extra grand laying around I'd be buying another suit from AOS.

5. jonathanS

jonathanS Senior member

Honestly. I really don't care but I can't argue when someone says, "In my opinion, a full canvas jacket doesn't work as well in a casual setting - nor does it really make sense with a natural shoulder or unlined jacket. Personally I've always preferred my lightweight half-canvas jackets, and as the designer of our collections, I think this creates the perfect balance for our clients."

I'm sure..... I guess kiton, brioni, zegna all do it wrong, but you know, they've only been doing it for generations.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  6. jonathanS

jonathanS Senior member

[​IMG]

But he wouldn't.

7. cuponoodles

cuponoodles Senior member

Not to resurrect an old thread, but as a client, I felt I could lend my perspective on a few things that have been both said and speculated upon.

For one, I think it's generally correct, as someone did earlier, to call this a glorified Southwick MTM. There is, in effect, a "basted" fitting that you get, which matches up with the more traditional bespoke experience. You fill out a basic profile online (pretty standard, and easily done) about your fitting experiences and preferences, in addition to some simple measurements. They then send you a (very) unstructured jacket and pants (while they say these are wearable - I didn't at all find that the case), which you then upload photos to the mainframe website, they review and then modify measurements from, and then send you a finished garment in the next few weeks.

As far as my experience, I found the fit of my basted garment poor. To be frank, though, I didn't (and still don't) care about a cheaply made garment in what I'm sure is a low-quality fabric (I tossed it after the fitting photos were complete). I did find the fit of my final garment much, much improved. There still needed to be a few alterations made (my vest fit was a bit off, and the pants fit a bit strangely, but it was all well fixable), but again, that's normal and expected for even the finest bespoke garments anywhere.

All in all, I've found Dan and the team very responsive and had a reasonably positive experience, although there are some things very much worth improving. For one, they do seem to have somewhat of a limit on some of the customization options - I get and understand that Southwick may be limited in what they want and can do, but there are a few options or modifications I would have preferred to change that I could not. Again, this seems to have gotten a bit better recently, but you still generally have to ask, and a few times I have, they've told me that the modification in question (i.e. although this may be applicable now, I was thinking of going with a patch breast pocket when I first ordered my garment, and was told it wasn't doable at the time).

Secondly, what I absolutely don't care about is the full vs. half-canvas question. I think it's lazy and not necessarily a harbinger of quality to generically assume half-canvassd garments on the whole are of less quality than fully canvassed ones. In all the MTM garments I've ever had made, I have literally never had an issue with any of my half-canvassed suits (I also own several fully canvassed garments), and generally agree with Dan in that I actually do prefer the lighter and deconstructed nature that half canvas provides. I also fully agree with the idea that canvas is often wholly unnecessary past the (very important) lapel/structure at the front of the jacket. Relatedly, I also care little (and frankly find the discussion utterly foolish) about the nomenclature surrounding the word bespoke. You can ask many well-educated individuals what that means and get a wide variety of acceptable answers, and even give some semblance of credit to Dan for adapting this to an online/virtual market.

What I would agree with the majority of users on here about is the overarching cost. Since the re-design (they have recently "re-launched"), it seems that not only do they have several options in the higher end of the 1-2K price points, but they've also increased their prices (for example, I distinctly remember their cotton suit had a $999 price tag, which now comes in at about $1200). All in all, I don't regret the purchases I've made there, but I do think it's too expensive by about $200-300. Having said all this, I'll likely buy from them again at some point.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016