Article on Name Brands

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HitMan009, Dec 7, 2004.

1. HitMan009

HitMan009 Senior member

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/CSM/story?id=287896 I know this definitely ain't the first sotry about this and definitely not the last. I understand the whole point of making money but what do you feel about this designer/fashion houses going mainstream to peddle goods to the average consumer? I think Target started this whole trend? Do you think that this trend will eventually lead americans to dress better like they do with our neighbors across the pond?

2. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

This is the crux of it. Too many of these companies will go overboard and lose their cachet, which to me is an important trait to keep for SOME things, not all.

3. PHV

PHV Senior member

It is isn't the wider availability of luxury, it's simply creating an illusion of luxury. There is nothing particularly luxurious about a C-class mercedes or any Tommy Hilfiger product I've ever seen. It's just the cheapening of prestigious brands. Do I really care? No.

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

What the hell is "˜entry-level' Cartier anyways? What's next? $55,000 Rolls-Royce? "˜Cheap' Gulfstream V's?

Jon.

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I remember when the cheapest Porsche cost about $60k (968 in 1995), now its 2004 and the Boxster costs about $40k...who thinks the base Boxster is as well built / has better components / is faster than the base 968?

Jon.