• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Article from The Rake: how to break the rules

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dasai
That would be what we call the "hips", and it really ought not to be the narrowest point; if it is, then you are probably morbidly obese. .

If your hips are above your hip bones then something is really wrong.

11e.gif

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
^^ Really, then the waist will be lower than the navel ?

In this pic, the buckle of the belt can be seen around the lowest button. So either the trouser rise is short by 3-4 inches or the buttoning point needs to be lowered by the same amount ? Seriously ?

I can't tell for sure with that picture but the pants look low.

Navel / waist depends on your body. Bend over to the side. Your body will bend at your waist. Your navel isn't always that point.

JensenH

Reaction score
Trini, good article, thanks for posting.

Originally Posted by Nicola
Memorial day isn't it?

The period between Labor day and Easter is cool to cold (non-summer) weather in the U.S.

The period between Memorial Day and Labor Day is "permissible" to wear white. But this rule is ridiculous as Florida, Hawaii, and many parts of Southern US have high temperatures even during the winter months.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So Nicola and amplifiedheat are saying that either trousers should be at the red line or his buttoning point should be at green line in these 2 pics ?
iccluI.jpg
iesUgY.jpg

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the jacket on I'm not sure how clear it is.

[
VivienneWestwoodAutumn201114.jpg

No idea what's up with his face
ffffuuuu.gif

VivienneWestwoodAutumn201123.jpg

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I'd pulled something B&W from the 1950s somebody would have complained it was history.

Westwood is old but at least it's this year -)

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JensenH
Trini, good article, thanks for posting.

The period between Labor day and Easter is cool to cold (non-summer) weather in the U.S.

The period between Memorial Day and Labor Day is "permissible" to wear white. But this rule is ridiculous as Florida, Hawaii, and many parts of Southern US have high temperatures even during the winter months.

Then there is the West Coast ... with summer weather that often qualifies as a cold. After I moved to the Bay Area, I learend not to say, "I'll be a cold day in July before such-and-such happens."

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
So Nicola and amplifiedheat are saying that either trousers should be at the red line or his buttoning point should be at green line in these 2 pics ?

]

The trousers should be at the red line so the waist is covered (a lower buttoning point would destroy the look of the jacket).

Montauk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
The trousers should be at the red line so the waist is covered (a lower buttoning point would destroy the look of the jacket).
Wearing trousers at the red line would look ridiculous by all but the most die-hard cos-play zootsuiter. Because everyone's proportions are different, the "rule"--in the spirit of Crompton's original article--will be different. As a personal rule of thumb, I'm somewhat long torsoed, and generally feel best-dressed when my coat button is about 1" above my belly button and my trouser waistband/belt buckle is about 1" below it (i.e. suspended from my waist but not ON it). I find this prevents shirt from showing (even with buttoned quarters pulled back to accomodate a hand in the pocket) without making me look like a cartoon. AJ-Del looks like he might be similarly proportioned. I'd recommend a slightly higher trouser rise, but not up to the buttoning point. RL trousers used to be cut for exactly such a fit (until they drank the low-rise, flat front Kool-Aid, that is). Re extra high-rise trousers, I think a lot of us have at least a soft spot for them because they helped so many men look great 80 years ago. But that was in an era when a man didn't often take off his coat, and if he did, he generally still had a vest/waistcoat on. High-rise trousers look great and elongating in that context. Worn without those elements, however, they are a severe anachronism that only devoted wives and girlfriends can be asked to suffer. I mean, have you ever looked at your ass in those things? It doesn't look "bad" any more that breeches and hose do, but I woudn't want to wear either walking down the street. Like braces, true high-rise trousers are best left to 3 pc suit wearin' these days.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Boys, boys ... hip-huggers are out! To be totally honest, they were never really in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads