• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Arthur Chapnik menswear

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last week I picked up an Arthur Chapnik blazer in a nice brown and black weave. It was second hand but in great shape and seemed to fit. Made in Italy, etc. Then I discovered it was short size, and looked it, alas.

I've googled the guy and searched him on ebay. All I find is some womenswear sold at Neiman-Marcus. Does anyone know anything more, for ex., where the men's stuff is sold?

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I haven't heard that name in ages.

There were some shady dealings years ago. they used to have a loft around 5th and 20th Street or Broadway. Used to be Also known as Arthur richards.

they used to have a small factory or gave the work to one of the local factories. Moderate price #2 0r #4 make jacket.

Carl

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard that name in ages.

There were some shady dealings years ago. they used to have a loft around 5th and 20th Street or Broadway. Used to be Also known as Arthur richards.

they used to have a small factory or gave the work to one of the local factories. Moderate price #2 0r #4 make jacket.
The jacket is relatively contemporary, with a three button closure, narrow lapel starting above the third button.

What is a "#2 or #4 make jacket"? Please explain.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There used to be a numbering system based on the number of man hours it took to make a jacket in a factory.

A #6 garment had the most hand work.
A #4 had less hand work
A #2 still had a canvas front but was mostly made by machine.
An x make was a fused garment.

Carl

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.