• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art

cimabue

Reaction score

^ The Frick Collection alone makes New York worth a trip from anywhere on earth!

--

Would any of our art 'experts' care to offer their knowledge/thoughts (artist, subject, etc.) about the piece pictured below? I'm told it was owned by the London art dealer Peter Cochrane.

Constable_SchoolOf_PeterCochraneCollection_Tate_Sothebys.jpg

I can speak to the condition, perhaps. Lined. Masking varnish? Use of bitumen indicated by chunky crackling: Mid-19th C.? English, after Dutch Italianate? Might look a good deal better after a professional cleaning. May in fact look worse. Shows some signs of a previous over-cleaning, esp. in the foliage. I recommend a uv and infrared inspection before entering any possible negotiations.

Last edited:

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice to see Louise Bourgeois get some love on here...my daughter loves her "Maman" piece outside the national gallery here in Ottawa.

Just got back from Montreal with the wife - bought her one of these for her birthday:

http://www.galerieblanche.com/en/artist.php?ID=22

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I can speak to the condition, perhaps. Lined. Masking varnish? Use of bitumen indicated by chunky crackling: Mid-19th C.? English, after Dutch Italianate? Might look a good deal better after a professional cleaning. May in fact look worse. Shows some signs of a previous over-cleaning, esp. in the foliage. I recommend a uv and infrared inspection before entering any possible negotiations.
Thanks again for the advice. It is much appreciated.

Date, Lining, & Cleaning: It was actually listed as 1820s ... I misstated. It is lined. I'm sure it was previously cleaned -- paint is a bit thin in areas so over-cleaned -- and was listed as such. There is a bit of previous restoration.

Bitumen: Agreed. While the painting was listed as 'School of Constable' ... I know some have suggested that Constable likely avoided the use of bitumen given his knowledge of its impact on the paintings of Reynolds. Others say he most definitely used the substance in his painting.

Inspection: I have worked previously with the seller, and he offers a period during which a painting can be returned. Such a policy offers one the ability to have it inspected under uv and/or infrared. Were I to buy it, it's unlikely I'd have it cleaned again as I rather like the dark look.

Price: The price for 'school of Constable is not too dear.

Attraction: The provenence prior to Cochrane -- discovered independently -- is very good and appeals to me almost as much as the painting. My grandparents knew a previous owner.

To buy or not to buy: Were I to buy it, it would not be for investment purposes. For that I would seek a more substantial and well qualified piece.

Last edited:

cimabue

Reaction score
I like the painting. $1500 wouldn't be out of line, not having the picture in my hands for inspection. A $200 - $300 cleaning might make a world of difference, as I'm sure you know. I also respect your appreciation for keeping the"gallery glow". Anyway, you pays your money and you takes your chances. :)

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
I guess it's like saying you have an affinity for jazz but only listen to Kind of Blue.

These people are my least favorite in the world. But anyway, I think there should at least be an intent to be honest with art. I want to own originals. Replicas aren't very interesting or redeeming, unless they were created with an intent of multiplicity. So unlike most I'd rather sacrifice quality of art before the authenticity of format, because art in the form of a poster undermines its value. When I first moved into my own place I wanted some art but had no money. I had a friend paint this exact image on a canvas she was going to throw out and then I had it framed. I still have it and I'm quite fond of it. It's 48" x 48". It's decent.
rimshot.gif
I've had quite a few people ask who painted it under the assumption that it was to be taken seriously or done by a "real artist." I use the name of a fake Bulgarian conceptual artist "Asen Stoichkov."

4613193828_c27265ba32_o.jpg
I believe this to be unintentional genius...print out and frame immediately

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
That first Erwin Wurm photo is actually from a series that I love. I believe it is descriptively called "One Minute Sculptures"

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like "Sitting on Pens & Needles."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads