Art

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by SoCal2NYC, Jun 15, 2007.

1. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

Well I think Richter is a pretty good barometer for the direction of art as a whole. He's strictly non-dogmatic and he roams between mediums and method, but all of his work collectively undermines any stylistic or philosophical obligations of either figurative or abstract act which matches the general trend of stylistic liberation. As opposed to the tendency of his contemporaries to embrace a unique personal style because this new liberation allowed them to (Basquiat, Schnabel, Koons), he uses a neoclassical logic and rationality which allows formal invention by itself, even though that was once considered paradoxical as a means to create an artistic identity. I think that's why all of his paintings use boring photos. With a classical emphasis on technical skill, the process's refinement can elevate mundane imagery beyond the shallow heroics of epic "high art" photography if it's guided with some technical conviction or procedural logic that doesn't concern itself with outcome at the expense of creation, where the primacy of art lies anyway. :artforum: Yeah, he's pretty much awesome.
    i agree with your first paragraph and think that this could be applied to several other contemporaries of richter, such as louise bourgeois, vija celmins, and in the realm of sculpture, robert gober and tim hawkinson. i'm not a fan of basquiat, koons, or schnabel (especially), but i don't think that an autographic style necessarily undermines formal invention. luc tuymans and michael raedecker are artists who can work in an abstract personal style without sacrificing the formal efforts of their paintings. the abstraction is more incidental than integral i guess, it's part of the formal gesture. i also wouldn't describe richter's work as adhering to "neoclassical logic and rationality," only because i love it and that phrase makes him sound like one of those boring super realists, or will cotton maybe.
    i'll go 30 years chuck close, basquiat, I kind of like alex gray, Attila Bernath, Anselm Kiefer (pushing it time wise)
    Dude...Alex Grey? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

oh, fine. maybe i was trolling a bit.

3. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

My girlfriend's gallery got their first print publication review via the L.A.Times in today’s edition. The review is lukewarm, but it’s still a big deal for a three month old gallery to be taken seriously enough for a critique like this. Here’s the link for the on-line edition if you’re interested, and if you're in Los Angeles you should really come see it. Great show: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/cult...pin-moore.html

4. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

i'll go 30 years chuck close, basquiat, I kind of like alex gray, Attila Bernath, Anselm Kiefer (pushing it time wise)
    [​IMG]

5. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

6. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

I don't know how you could actually find much distinction between them ethically.

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

[​IMG]

8. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

I don't know how you could actually find much distinction between them ethically.

The art market is much less regulated, especially as it comes to such factors as having multiple roles in a transaction (expert&secretly being part of the $$ deal, etc) or even controlling the origin of what is being sold.

9. Icarus

Icarus Senior member

How did I ever miss this thread?

Can we post pictures of our art, or should that go in the lifestyle picture thread? I'd need a camera first anyway, hmmm...

10. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Senior member

[​IMG]

beautiful mantle.

11. StephenHero

Profound or pointless? I'm hedging towards the latter for now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ranking various Turbine Hall installations.

#1 Olafur Eliasson

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#2 Everybody else

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

What do you guys think of the Dan Colen show? Pretty universally panned by critics. I can't help but feel the scorn was influenced by general backlash against the whole Dash Snow bad boy artist thing...

13. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Just picked up this Jacob Bannon print a couple weeks ago:

[​IMG]

14. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

Profound or pointless? I'm hedging towards the latter for now.

What army of slaves did he employ to complete this? 100 million is a large number..

15. StephenHero

[​IMG]