• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art

JoyDiffusion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
An art gallery is not a flea market. It is not a good idea to throw a number out there because one man's respectable offer is another man's insult. Instead, say something along the lines of "I really like this etching, but it's a little out of my price range. Can you work with me on this?" Because you a first-time buyer who is buying one piece, it is unlikely that the gallery will give you a discount. I think it is quite possible that they will offer to let you pay off the piece in monthly installments, and pick it up once you have completed the payments.

Good luck.

Thanks for your advice, I definitely see how any offer I make could be insulting. Do you think I could say, "I really like the etching, but it's a little out of my price range... are you at all flexible on your asking price?" That way, it's more on their terms. Seems less... imposing.

It's not so much that I can't afford it (so installments aren't necessary), it's just that I imagine I could get it cheaper at auction. That said, I don't want to wait 5 or 10 years for another to come up at auction (edition of 30), so if there's no way to do so, I'll probably just bite the bullet. I guess the gallery premium is justifiable for that exact reason.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoyDiffusion
Thanks for your advice, I definitely see how any offer I make could be insulting. Do you think I could say, "I really like the etching, but it's a little out of my price range... are you at all flexible on your asking price?" That way, it's more on their terms. Seems less... imposing.
I think this approach would be fine.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
girlpaint.png

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it tacky to only collect famous art pieces? I only own 3 prints and they are Paul Klee's Twittering Machine, Fernand Lager's The City, Gauguin's Where Do We Come From?

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All that matter's is that you like them. It's only tacky if you know nothing about the artist's or painting's.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
Is it tacky to only collect famous art pieces? I only own 3 prints and they are Paul Klee's Twittering Machine, Fernand Lager's The City, Gauguin's Where Do We Come From?

A bit, quite honestly.

nightrune

Reaction score
the first pieces of art i liked of the bat just by looking at them are impressionist paintings. anyways i'd like to know if there are any modern artists known for being contemporary impressionists. or is that a paradox? i seem to be interested in seascapes in particular.

oh i forgot to ask for coffee table book recs of impressionists. i hope something that has most of their work but individual artists are good too.

what do you think of portraiture from a living artist? tacky?

i also saw this painting of the last emperor as a kid and i saw it again online from another vendor. are both fake?

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jokerman
All that matter's is that you like them. It's only tacky if you know nothing about the artist's or painting's.

I'm sure anyone that has ever attended college knows about Gauguin though.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
A bit, quite honestly.

I guess it's like saying you have an affinity for jazz but only listen to Kind of Blue.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess it's like saying you have an affinity for jazz but only listen to Kind of Blue.

Well the pieces aren't instantly recognizable to an art-boob like me. I mean, it's not like you have a print of Starry Night hanging up.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score

These people are my least favorite in the world. But anyway, I think there should at least be an intent to be honest with art. I want to own originals. Replicas aren't very interesting or redeeming, unless they were created with an intent of multiplicity. So unlike most I'd rather sacrifice quality of art before the authenticity of format, because art in the form of a poster undermines its value. When I first moved into my own place I wanted some art but had no money. I had a friend paint this exact image on a canvas she was going to throw out and then I had it framed. I still have it and I'm quite fond of it. It's 48" x 48". It's decent.
rimshot.gif
I've had quite a few people ask who painted it under the assumption that it was to be taken seriously or done by a "real artist." I use the name of a fake Bulgarian conceptual artist "Asen Stoichkov."

4613193828_c27265ba32_o.jpg

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
Well the pieces aren't instantly recognizable to an art-boob like me. I mean, it's not like you have a print of Starry Night hanging up.

You also don't really have the artwork itself hanging up. A print of a painting is just a poster.

If you only want famous art you'd do better looking at prints where originals tend to be more affordable (seeing as how they may have been part of a big run and not...a single painting) and reprints are at least similar instead of completely lacking brush strokes, depth, etc.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Big heist in Paris this past week. The Matisse is a bit sloppy to me, but the others are first rate representations of the artists. Nice haul.
PICASSO-Le-pigeon-aux-petits-pois-1911.jpg
bg.jpg
georges-braque-l-olivier-pres-de-l-estaque.jpg
P1050935.jpg
nature-morte-au-chandelier-leger-fernand.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads