Art

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by SoCal2NYC, Jun 15, 2007.

1. bumper crop

bumper crop Active Member

my faves:
    klimt
    schiele
    modigliani
    rockwell
    kollwitz
    hokusai
    durer

not a fan of much 'lowbrow' stuff these days, but i still love jeff soto's work

pretty much most of the art in the house is my own though. i can't afford anyone else's...

2. denning

denning Senior member

Anyone know artist/title of the following pieces. One I saw in a screen cap of Gossip Girl, another is just a random shot I saved.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

pretty sure that is an image of Robert Longo's studio. The boobs and sharks are his work.

4. denning

denning Senior member

Much obliged on Longo. Anyone for the other piece?

5. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Any of you guys like Ian Francis? He's a Juxtapoz artist, one of the only ones I'm crazy about.
    Thanks for posting. I'm really liking these. I like the color palette

6. Jerome

Jerome Senior member

7. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

8. otc

otc Senior member

Any idea who that is? It is signed and numbered in pencil from which I can make out "rman*"
    There is also a signature in the print that looks like "urman*" or even "surman*" so all I can get is that he likes putting a * after his name.

I figured it out!

http://adamturman.com/

I like some of his stuff

9. Naturally Baked

Naturally Baked Senior member

My pride & Joy...maybe not the type of art you guys like but I love gig posters ^_^ [​IMG]

10. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Thanks for posting. I'm really liking these. I like the color palette
    Actually, do any of you guys know any sites where I could buy Ian francis prints? Specifically the one in my avatar? This guy seems to be kind of obscure. Not baller enough for originals.

11. insomb

insomb Senior member

12. JoyDiffusion

JoyDiffusion Senior member

I've got a question, hopefully someone here with more experience than myself can help with:

Basically, there's an etching which I'd like to buy from a fairly upscale gallery. I've never bought from a gallery before, and I'm wondering whether it's appropriate to make an offer of less than the gallery's asking price. And if so, how much less would be respectable?

The asking price is €1950. Would €1750 be a respectable offer? Should I offer more or less? I don't want to make an offer that would be considered rude. If it makes any difference, the etching's been at the gallery for at least 6 months (probably more). Also, the artist is long dead, so it's not the artist's decision or anything.

Thanks in advance.

13. magogian12345

magogian12345 Senior member

One of my favs is the Hudson River school, which produced some of the greatest American art. Thomas Cole, the founder, has some really great stuff, especially his "Voyage of Life" series (which is less typical for the school).

14. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I've got a question, hopefully someone here with more experience than myself can help with:

Basically, there's an etching which I'd like to buy from a fairly upscale gallery. I've never bought from a gallery before, and I'm wondering whether it's appropriate to make an offer of less than the gallery's asking price. And if so, how much less would be respectable?

The asking price is €1950. Would €1750 be a respectable offer? Should I offer more or less? I don't want to make an offer that would be considered rude. If it makes any difference, the etching's been at the gallery for at least 6 months (probably more). Also, the artist is long dead, so it's not the artist's decision or anything.

Thanks in advance.

An art gallery is not a flea market. It is not a good idea to throw a number out there because one man's respectable offer is another man's insult. Instead, say something along the lines of "I really like this etching, but it's a little out of my price range. Can you work with me on this?" Because you a first-time buyer who is buying one piece, it is unlikely that the gallery will give you a discount. I think it is quite possible that they will offer to let you pay off the piece in monthly installments, and pick it up once you have completed the payments.

Good luck.

15. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

just wait for it to show up on gilt.