1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Art

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by SoCal2NYC, Jun 15, 2007.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

If you have art worth stealing you should be able to afford a security system.

Some people just leave their expensive artworks hanging about or stuffed somewhere.

2. redcaimen

redcaimen Senior member

Some people just leave their expensive artworks hanging about or stuffed somewhere.

True story(as opposed to my usual lies):

During my recent shameless campaign to get my parents new next door neighbor to buy their old house, I pretended to be fascinated with the details of her adjacent newly constructed self designed abode. During the guided tour, since there were artworks all over the place, (including above the bathtubs) I singled out one that caught my attention for special praise, both in an effort to be polite, just on general grounds, and because I hoped that in some small way this minor courtesy and implicit affirmation of her good taste would help lubricate the digits in her check signing hand. My understanding and appreciation for the visual arts is probably a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10 so I was running the risk of praising the thermostat or something. Anyway, it was a big rectangular slab of what I think was bronze. Turns out it was by Roy Lichtenstein. Even I have heard of that guy! It was hanging up on a wall in the Foyer no more than 10 feet from the front door. I said to her, "arent you concerned someone could walk off with that?" She said, "I wouldnt worry about it, it weighs over 300 pounds." So some stuff you can leave just lying around.

3. Kai

Kai Senior member

4. spertia

spertia Senior member

This is one of the first paintings my wife and I ever bought together. Signed "Ray," it's probably from the 1960s. Picked it up at a vintage design store in San Francisco 10 or 12 years ago for about $100. It's still one of my favorite pieces.

[​IMG]

5. caelte

caelte Senior member Dubiously Honored

out on the docks behind the Blue Parrot Cafe
    I like Mumbleboy. He did the graphics on a guitar amp I was considering. More Mumbleboy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Banksy.
    I'll readily admit he's good (and will be regarded as important), but he's often in danger of being just a political cartoonist, I find.

7. offline100

offline100 Senior member

^^^ some nice stuff there. for some reason I feel uncomfortable posting pictures of the art in our house, but I am glad to see yours.
    What iammatt means is he'd rather we experience them in person at the SF cocktail party he's hosting for everybody.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I hope it's black-tie.

9. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

I'm at a point in my (short) life where the classicist stuff bores me to tears and the contemporary lowbrow stuff makes me sick (characters, characters, characters). The only artist I really can't get enough of at the moment is Erick Swenson:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Besides that, I've really been digging industrial design from the likes of Dieter Rams, and classic comic strips from George Herriman and Winsor McCay. The movement and lines in Little Nemo in Slumberland were astounding:

[​IMG]

Oh, and I like your stuff GoSurface.

10. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Caravaggio is king.

11. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I love impressionism and mostly dislike the stuff posted in this thread. Maybe I'm a boring american philistine. Monet is my favorite (particularly non-water lily stuff).

12. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Nice smiles on that deer...this stuff reminds me of Børre Sæthre: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] A propos the recent creepiness and um...dude ranch threads. Now pat the bunny and spank the pony... Seriously, though, the link here has 78 images - it's from his Paris gallery. Well worth a look - there's amazing scale and to some of the installations he makes. I think most of them are from his LustLux and Masturbating with the Gods series.

13. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

Nice smiles on that deer...this stuff reminds me of Børre Sæthre:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A propos the recent creepiness and um...dude ranch threads.

Now pat the bunny and spank the pony...

Seriously, though, the link here has 78 images - it's from his Paris gallery. Well worth a look - there's amazing scale and to some of the installations he makes. I think most of them are from his LustLux and Masturbating with the Gods series.

Wow, thanks. Some wonderful work and yeah, the scale is impressive (as is his volume of output). I think it serves as a great counterpoint to Swenson as the ornate nature of the work brings the focus on the animal, while the compact despair in Swenson's work intensifies the feeling of empty space and hopelessness. Really, really great stuff. Thanks again.

14. Willsw

Willsw Senior member

Caravaggio is king.

And all who directly imitated him are dirty beggars. But not the current celebrated beggar-artist. None of that.

15. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

Might be purchasing this from Ruben:

[​IMG]

"Memento Mori Series #2" C-Print 36"x48"

Bought.

16. spertia

spertia Senior member

Damien Hirst just created what is apparently the most expensive piece of artwork ever made; it's a platinum skull covered with 8,601 diamonds, with a total weight of 1,106 carats. The material costs were more than £14 million, and the piece is now for sale at White Cube in London for £50 million.

[​IMG]

17. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Damien Hirst just created what is apparently the most expensive piece of artwork ever made; it's a platinum skull covered with 8,601 diamonds, with a total weight of 1,106 carats. The material costs were more than £14 million, and the piece is now for sale at White Cube in London for £50 million.

[​IMG]

I heard about that too but didn't know about the price, not that I get Hirst or anything....

18. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I heard about that too but didn't know about the price, not that I get Hirst or anything....
    I am shocked at how beautiful it is. I had no idea that it would be such an aesthetic success.

19. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

I find diamonds bland.

20. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Would it be art to buy it, decompose it into its pieces, sell the materials and diamonds for their market value and exhibit the remaining artistic intention (i.e. invisible, thin air) for a price of £36 million?