• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Art on t-shirts

aybojs

Reaction score
I remember someone here commenting on how he got a print of Hokusai's Great Wave of Kanagawa silk-screened onto a t-shirt, but I couldn't find the original post.

I'm an art fan myself, and there are a few works I'd be interested in doing this with. I was curious if there were any online places that would do a good job of this, as well what the probable costs would be and what the limitations of detail/quality are.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Another member and I both had a similar idea. Anyway, it costs about $50 to make the screen, and each screening after that is next to nothing. American Apparel shirts start at $15, but the more you buy, the cheaper they are. I got 100 AA shirts at I think $5.99 each.

So if you just wanted to make one shirt, it would cost you $65 or so, depending on who you go through. I would recommend whatever is cheapest ( look in the yellow pages ), as there really is no difference between a good screen and a bad screen, its all dependent on the original print.

Or you could always buy one of those iron-on things which I heard work very well, and cost like $2 each.

kidkim2

Reaction score
There used to be a shop in a mid-Penisula mall that would transfer any printed "original" onto a t-shirt for practically nothing.  (It could only be done once, as the process destroyed the original.)  Artists like Robert Raushenberg have been executing similar transfers to canvas for decades.  This should not be impossible to achieve, perhaps by way of Xerox copies, at very low cost.

BTW, on a lark, I once cut the masthead out of a New York Review of Books, took it to the mall, and had it emblazoned on a t-shirt.  The conversation piece par excellence.

aybojs

Reaction score
Anyone familiar with GetInPrint.com? I did a bunch of online searching (I go to school in a small town that likely would have nothing of that sort, so online would probably be the best option), and it seems to be the only place I've seen so far that offers color shirts and no minimum order. CustomInk has a lot of options and a really nice site, but their 6 minimum order policy kind of killed that. Brian: 100 shirts? What did you end up doing with them all... did you get them all printed too?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite knitwear under jackets/sport coats

• Crewneck sweater

• Turtleneck sweater

• Long-sleeve polo

• Vest

• I don't like knitwear worn with jackets/sport coats

Results are only viewable after voting.