• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Art Blakey is, arguably, the greatest hard bop musician of all time. he pretty much invented the genre.

What's your favorite Blakey/Messengers album?

freelance robotics

Reaction score
i don't know if he was the greatest but he was most definitely the defining force of the genre, and i think it goes without saying that Night in Tunisia is probably one of if not his most notable recordings. i also like the album The Jazz Messengers but to me it lacks a lot of the hooks and showboating that make NiT so enthralling.

mizanation

Reaction score
not a fan of hard bop. i think i overdosed on it in high school. can't really listen to it now... but yeah, art blakey and the jazz messengers are great.

il vecchio

Reaction score
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers recorded live at the Club St Germain Paris 1958
Bobby Timmons solo on Moanin' is his best in my view of the many many recordings of a great number.

water

Reaction score
A Night at Birdland, Vol.1. No real explanation other than I love it from start to end.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Art Blakey is, arguably, the greatest hard bop musician of all time. he pretty much invented the genre.

What's your favorite Blakey/Messengers album?

I love him, do not have any of his albums, but hear them a lot on Monk's pandora station. I think Monk is the best Hard bop and by extension the best Jazz musician but Blakey is dam good.

mizanation

Reaction score
hmm. hard bop is not the best jazz. it's just jazz's most easily digestable form...

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mizanation
hmm. hard bop is not the best jazz. it's just jazz's most easily digestable form...
That might be true.

andyw

Reaction score
Wow........get me thinking.......favorite albums are the ones Wayne Shorter plays on and what comes to mind is the album Africaine - Lester Left Town by Wayne is a stunner and the album Mosaic.

Art Blakey will forever be known for incubating great jazz talent..including Freddie Hubbard, Donald Byrd, Lee Morgan, Cedar Walton, Keith Jarrett, Benny Golson, Jackie McLean, Johnny Griffin, Branford Marsalis and Chuck Mangione.

Gotta go to my collection to remind myself of the great music. Thanks Connie

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah right, so whats best Smooth Jazz?

mizanation

Reaction score
it's impossible to say one jazz style is the best.

you have the lush beauty of swing.

you have the technical brilliance of bebop.

the coolness of cool jazz.

the soulfulness of hard bop.

the intellectual sophistication of post bop/modern era.

the freedom of free jazz.

not to mention latin jazz, fusion and soul jazz.

hard bop was an important era in jazz but a lot happened before and since.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's impossible to say one jazz style is the best.

you have the lush beauty of swing.

you have the technical brilliance of bebop.

the coolness of cool jazz.

the soulfulness of hard bop.

the intellectual sophistication of post bop/modern era.

the freedom of free jazz.

not to mention latin jazz, fusion and soul jazz.

hard bop was an important era in jazz but a lot happened before and since.

I was messing with you. I agree that it might be the easiest to appreciate, I think it also the most influential. It's the Jazz I connect to most culturally so I enjoy it most.

mizanation

Reaction score
you're right, it's by far the most influential.

when most people think "jazz" they think hard bop (actually, they probably think kenny g).

when i suggest jazz to people, i usually start them off with hard bop and then lead them elsewhere.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMO, bebop is the most beautiful form of jazz, but I can see why hard bop is considered the most influential.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads