1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Art Basel Miami: did anyone else go?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by imageWIS, Dec 10, 2007.

1. rohde88

rohde88 Senior member

17th is definitely South Beach.

No promises on bugs though. Cockroaches are common.

There should be shuttles running from the beach to arts district. I used to ride my motorcycle, great date night. Do you like food trucks?

2. alex99

alex99 Senior member

I went last year for the first time and was very skeptical about the whole concept of art fairs, but I ended up having a great time. If you don't live in one of the big 3 art markets (NYC, LA, Santa Fe) Basel is probably the easiest way to see great art. Whether it is the best way to see art depends on the person I suppose.

Try to do the big 3- Basel, Pulse, and Scope, on different days so it doesn't all start to blur together. I can't remember all the places we ate (my gf has a friend who took us to some of his favorites), but I do remember getting lunch at Joe's Stone Crab, which was excellent. It's an expensive place, the lunch specials are the most reasonable. Oh and Garcia's Seafood for dinner. We rented a car to get around, but really only used it to get to downtown and Winwood district.

Enjoy!

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I'm back in Miami now, so if anyone's going to be in the area and wants to grab a drink, feel free to hit me up. Guided tours are available in exchange for adult beverages.

4. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Any of you going to the MAM party this weekend?

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

not unless you've got an invite for me

6. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

I'd love to go to Miami for Art Basel one year but I fear I'd just ending spending all my time (and money) at King of Diamonds.

7. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

Does art play any role in this event or is it merely an excuse for the rich and aspiring famous to drink Bellinis on contemporary wicker furniture?

2 people like this.
  8. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Probably both.

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

correct

10. alex99

alex99 Senior member

This sounds about right:

"We had to line up for 30 minutes or so, and people LOST THEIR FUCKING MINDS. I heard one girl compare her situation to Auschwitz, and another was repeatedly screaming that she would sue the hotel if she got bitten by any bugs. Eventually people just decided to Braveheart it and charge in by any means possible, like these old-timers who are scrambling through the fucking wilderness like they're running away from Predator."

When I went last year I thought the other shows (Pulse, Scope, etc) were better than Basel. It's weird he didn't mention them. I didn't go this year, and from photos have not seen much that looks good. I liked these though...

[​IMG]

Yinka Shonibare, MBE, Homeless Boy, 2012. Mannequin, Dutch wax printed cotton textile, leather suitcases, globe, and metal base.

[​IMG]

Wim Delvoye, Bidjar, 2011. Polyester, iranian carpet, and pig hooves.

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

ugh. boy am i glad i didn't go down. shit gets worse and worse every year.

12. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I thought you were partying it down with AC.

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

he never got in touch with me.

14. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

Did anyone see the videos at the Cherry+Martin booth?