1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Arrow Moccasins

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by DocHunter, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Mbrand

Mbrand Well-Known Member

"they had to raise their prices because their big customers asked
    them to"

Can you be more specific ? I'd be interested in knowing a reason why a customer would ask for a price rise...

2. Mercuryman76

Mercuryman76 Senior member

I wear an 8 in Red Wing GT's and Clarks DBs so I ordered an 8 in the ring boots. One of the boots was just a tad narrow for me. But lengthwise it was fine.

3. mcawber

mcawber New Member

Well, Customers are not always individuals (as in end consumers). Sometimes they are companies like "jcrew" for instance. Often times these "customers" do not want to compete with directly with manufacturers, and since the mfr does more volume with and is able to access a larger customer base, and distribution network, they will offer the "wholesale price" to the "buyer / customer" and the "retail price" to the end user. I hope this helped.

4. strangedream

strangedream Well-Known Member

Somewhere over the rainbow where you can get drunk
    I just talked with a gentleman at Arrow Moccasins about sizing and was advised it would be best if I mail the tracing of my feet.

I'm in no hurry so I'm going to mail it over next week, but nonetheless I was wondering if I can get some advice from those who own pair of Arrow. Following are my sizes for different brands I have recorded over the year:

Clarks - Desert Boots (what I wear mostly)
    --10 D/M

Alden - Indy Boots (only measured; haven't owned a pair yet)
    --9.5 D

Allen Edmonds (dress shoes)
    --10 E

Red Wing (only measured; haven't owned a pair yet)
    --9.5 E / EE

I know they ask for the dress shoe size (I wear AE in 10E) but I most often wear Clarks Dessert Boots. So I would like to ask anybody who has owned both Arrow Moccasins and Clarks on whether their sizings are about the same. I would also like to know how they compare in comfortability, given that Clarks dessert boot is the one of the most comfortable shoes I have worn. I am thinking of just ordering double leather sole for Arrow Moccasins instead of crepe or rubber given that resoling isn't available for latter two.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  5. Narwhale

Narwhale Well-Known Member

I'm an 8 in DBs, 7.5 D in GTs and Iron Rangers. I bought Arrows in 8D, and they work well. They are definitely snug, and at first I thought they were too small (to the point of putting them up for sale here for a few days) but after a couple of wears they broke in and the bottoms flattened. I think they felt small because of the soles curving up on the sides so my toes felt cramped at first. I think I would have been OK going up a half size or a width if I wanted to wear thicker socks with them, but overall I think I got the right size.

Edit: I got double leather soles. The ability to re-sole was my main deciding factor. They're very comfortable to wear all day, but if I were standing for hours I'd probably choose my Red Wings. The leather is super thick, so the sole is probably 1/3" thick. It's flexible, but if you walk on gravel/rocks you'll feel it but it won't hurt.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  6. strangedream

Thanks Narwhale.

One more question to those who got theirs with crepe soles instead of double leather soles. I know Arrow themselves wouldn't resole the crepe sole but can that be done through other cobblers? Do you think Arrow refuse to resole crepe for some construction issue?

7. Matorgator

Matorgator New Member

It would not be a good Idea to wear these without socks, especially if you have sweaty feet, they become very "Ripe" from the sweat and then it becomes almost next to impossible to get the odor removed. But they do make good all around the house slippers...especially if you like to intermix going outside to do little chores and such along with doing things in the house. I love them, and have two pair, the ankle boot for casual and walking in the woods, and a two eyed moc to wear around the house on weekends and vacations...the soles are very hard to wear out, and if you get the double soles, they will redo them if and when they wear out. These are the best value in a true moc you can find..if you don't believe me then go to Carl Dyers sight and see what he charges for his, and they are the same moc and styles.

8. strangedream

Thanks for sharing that. Do you wear the ankle boot without socks even during the winter? Would that be warm enough?

9. Narwhale

Narwhale Well-Known Member

I'd say they are not the best winter boots with or without socks if you are going to be outside for more than a few minutes. You can feel the cold ground through the soles when it gets around 40 F. Also, they obviously aren't going to be the best choice for rain/ice, though the leather seems to grip even smooth floors so you'll get better traction than, say, leather soled dress shoes. I treated with Obenauf's, and my feet have never gotten wet walking on wet ground. But yeah, if you're going winter hiking or camping you'll want something a bit warmer.

10. bltkmt

bltkmt New Member

I have been lusting over their two-eye tie mocs for quite awhile, and reading this thread threw me over the edge. I called them and my stars were aligned - they have a pair in stock in my size - should get them later this week! Thank goodness, because the 4-6 week wait would have killed me.

11. havingaraveup

havingaraveup Senior member

I was looking at townview, and I'm curious to see how they compare. These look like particularly rustic bean mocs—hard to get my head around

12. bltkmt

bltkmt New Member

I now have both Townview and Arrow (and Quoddy). The Townview's are much softer to begin with - very comfortable. I have the double-sole version lined with Deerskin...they are wonderful. However, I use them mainly has house slippers with occasional outside wear. The Arrow's (just got them last week) seem much more substantial - the leather is thicker and more stiff. I would think these will wear outside just fine and would likely last longer if worn outside. While initially stiff, once I wore them a bit they softened right up.

13. bltkmt

bltkmt New Member

Very happy with the Arrow two-eye tie mocs so far. I swapped out the stiff leather laces for paracord and some cord locks. I have worn them quite often over the past few weeks except for rainy days. Very comfortable now and they seem durable as hell. I wear them in a business casual work environment with no issues. I don't like them with shorts however...maybe taller folk can get away with it, but on me (5'10") they look odd.

14. strangedream

Anybody who lives in a warm climate who has an experience with the Double Sole Two Eye Tie Moc?

15. bltkmt

bltkmt New Member

I wore mine all summer here in hot/humid Connecticut without socks...very comfortable. I would not worry about it.

16. tmgaus51

tmgaus51 Member

Great thread! Had to open it back up.

Just ordered a pair of the lace boots with a crepe sole. From what I understand the sole would be glued on. If I apply Obenauf's or mink oil to these, do I have to worry about them being able to be resoled? From what I understand, some types of leather don't allow for resole after these have been applied.

Thanks much!
    David

17. Alnoba

Alnoba New Member

I've bought my "canoe style" over 3 yrs. ago & the wear like iron! I've worn them pretty much every day rain snow or shine and have just started to develop a dime sized hole on the foot I tend to drag from limping. Of course I oil/wax them 6-8 times a year. Going there today to get them resoled and probably buy a second set because my feet & gait don't feel right without them......

18. KaoruBetto

KaoruBetto New Member

Hey guys,
    I gave Arrow a call yesterday, and they were very helpful and pleasant to deal with. I plan on ordering a pair soon. Any sizing advice?

I wear a:
    9 in Chucks
    9.5 in Clarks

Thanks!

19. tone1298

tone1298 Member

Picked up 2eye tie about a year ago and love them. Im a 10W on the brannock and i sent in foot tracings and they recommended a 10.5W... ended up being a bit too long. I'ma go w/brannock sizing when i get the lace boot.

20. Clay J

Clay J Well-Known Member

If I can get a good deal on the gladiator mocs, and i really want the ring mocs, should i go for it, then cut them down to size? I think from pictures it wont be too bad to do, but i'm not sure about the intricacies of the ring boot vs. gladiator boot.