• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Arnys Tie - a Find!

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the sort of thing I always hope for but it's rare.
Went to one of our better resale shops - mainly looking for a robe and casual black belt. Looked through their ties and saw some I'd seen there for years - all $5 except for two they thought were "better" and made $15. Nothing all that special about those two; one was a "picture" tie some might think more collectible.
Then I saw it - an authentic Arnys tie - unusual color scheme, as that magnifique Paris maison is known for but quite alluring. I probably shouldn't have done it but I was immediately so excited I mentioned to the lady volunteer how extremely unusual and special this tie is, etc. She, graciously, still said I could have it for the $5, first confusing it with Hermes which, as we know, is better known and easier to find (i.e. always a large number on eBay though some are doubtless fake). When I showed off this tie to other volunteers there, who quickly got a little educated, one said if they come across one again they'll make it the $15. I mentioned they're sold locally only at our marvelous Cuffs shop and go for about $160...
This tie has the usual Arnys labeled loop and marking on the fabric, and is in excellent condition. The silk has a fabulous feel to it. Were I to go to Cuffs, where there might be a hundred on their large display table, it isn't the first one I'd choose but it still is very beautiful and even alluring.
Soon after I went to the actual Cuffs to see if they still have this pattern and their exact current Arnys price. They no longer have this one and they're now asking $165 for them all.
It's the one with delicate trees laden with fruit and the gnarled trunk. I'm sure it came in the various color combinations but this one is a greenish blue background with the trees a reddish orange the the fruit and trunk basically yellowish green. Striking. I mentioned to the lady there about the $5 surprise and she found it quite amazing
smile.gif
As this store has a whole Hermes room I see those ties regularly and I really basically prefer the Arnys collection.
Anyway, I just wanted to share this....

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll have to give my usual response to the pics request - I don't own a digital camera and it is not easy for me to get someone else to help. Possibly a scanned xerox.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Glad your excited about it. Did you take your ritalin today?

sfnewbie

Reaction score
Where at in Ohio? What shop?
Good find btw.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy a used robe....

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They had only one and it was about perfect. A gorgeous burgandy terry cloth robe from the late and somewhat elite Bunce Brothers - in about perfect condition! It was cleaned immediately, of course. It's sized, too; don't care for the "one-size-fits-all" type, which only benefit the manufacturer. Don't care for robes, hats, etc. that now combine two sizes. Ditto the comment. The only thing that could go wrong with this robe is it could possibly be a bit "light" for the way my house sometimes gets in the winter. Sleeves not full-length but of the good looking ?????? type (I don't recall the word). My wife offered to take it off my hands were I decide it doesn't work for me. I see terry cloth is extremely popular for new robes this year - of most prices ranges. But I don't see burgandy.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well it sounds like you got a nice one... I hope the previous owner always wore pajamas!
laugh.gif

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right on! This robe, however, signifies Dignity Supreme!

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lafont
Right on! This robe, however, signifies Dignity Supreme!
Wear it in good health! Wear it with the dignity it deserves...

nmoraitis

Reaction score
I think those printed Arnys tie's are hideous and not even worth $5, let alone $165.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are always some.... even here. Well, if you don't like Arnys in general, and the ties are typically inn subdued pastel tones, you probably really won't like mine, which is harsher colors! But who knows? Do you have a favorite brand/designer of ties?
plain.gif

nmoraitis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lafont
Do you have a favorite brand/designer of ties?
plain.gif

I do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads