• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Arnold Brant from Italy

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw some of these at a Nordstrom Rack recently, I believe they are the black label (label was black, anyways, and said "Made in Italy"), and thought the patterns were quite nice. The inside had Saks labels on it. They were just under $350, and some of them were full canvas. Good price, or not worth it even then?

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try the search function. Another member bought one from STP a few weeks ago and provided a good review.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Try the search function. Another member bought one from STP a few weeks ago and provided a good review.

I do remember that, my question had been on value at that price, though.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't find that thread. Anyone have a link?

Carey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I think $350 is very good value for any full canvas suit that fits well and which you like.
Don't waste your money on fused suits. Spend a little more and buy a suit with a sewn-in canvas interlining. Glue will fail before the fsuit fabric wears out. I was at the Nordstrom Rak at Potomac Mills this past Monday and saw a large number of Hickey-Freemans in various sizes for $599 -- which is about 50% off. They also had a few Corneliani, and E. Zegna suits and sportcoats for $599.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Carey
Full canvas Arnold Brant is still fused

??
confused.gif

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Possibily he is suggesting that the Brandt suit is not a true floating canvas chest piece lining, but only partial?

Carey

Reaction score
What is your question?

I am not aware of anything from Arnold Brant that is not fused, regardless of the "Black Label". If I am wrong, please tell me. I have seen a lot of Arnold Brant goods. Most better men's stores place these goods as their entry level price point. These goods stand below the H-Fs and Zegnas as a way to justify the higher price point of the garments with more handwork.

Fully canvassed does not mean the lack of fusing. Fusing is a way to make a suit cheaply.

There is no substitute for a sewn-in, floating chest piece or canvas.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fully canvassed does not mean the lack of fusing.

Fully canvassed does imply NO fusing, hence my confusion with your post.

As to whether the made in Italy Arnold Brant are indeed canvassed, another member, whose opinion I respect because he's worked in the high-end men's store Harry Rosen, bought one from STP and claims they are. See http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...2&postcount=34 and the prior post with a link to an article about the launching of their new canvassed line http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...2&postcount=33

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They are not fully canvassed. The lapels are and that's it. The fit is also horrible. They have massive armholes that really don't provide much freedom of movement. They use nice materials and the lapels are decent but that's it. I don't recommend.

Carey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Fully canvassed does imply NO fusing, hence my confusion with your post. As to whether the made in Italy Arnold Brant are indeed canvassed, another member, whose opinion I respect because he's worked in the high-end men's store Harry Rosen, bought one from STP and claims they are. See http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...2&postcount=34 and the prior post with a link to an article about the launching of their new canvassed line http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...2&postcount=33
You are correct regarding the term Fully Cnavassed and sewn-in floating chest piece are the same. I let my distaste for the Arnold Brant product cloud the use of the term to describe a well made garment, which is not typical of Arnold Brant. I would venture to guess that Nordstrom Rak woul not have anything with the Saks label, as they are not in the same corporate family. I was at the Rak at Potomac Mills earlier this week. The Arnold Brants there are fused. The only way to tell is to pinch the fabric at the chest and skirt, not just the lapel. If the fully canvassed Brants were meant to retail at over $1,000, it is unlikely that they would be marked down to $350 at the Rak. We can't know what DGP saw, but my above desctription is the only way he can discern if goes back for a second look.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are correct regarding the term Fully Cnavassed and sewn-in floating chest piece are the same. I let my distaste for the Arnold Brant product cloud the use of the term to describe a well made garment, which is not typical of Arnold Brant.

I would venture to guess that Nordstrom Rak woul not have anything with the Saks label, as they are not in the same corporate family. I was at the Rak at Potomac Mills earlier this week. The Arnold Brants there are fused. The only way to tell is to pinch the fabric at the chest and skirt, not just the lapel. If the fully canvassed Brants were meant to retail at over $1,000, it is unlikely that they would be marked down to $350 at the Rak.

We can't know what DGP saw, but my above desctription is the only way he can discern if goes back for a second look.

These were most certainly Saks suits, I did not mistake that label. Also, I could care less about paying extra for just partial canvasing, I'd just buy fused then, so I always test by pinching between the button holde to see what's in between the fabric. These had that third layer in there. Also, much trimmer fit than most AB stuff. However, not all the black label suits are done this way.

Chris "Italia"

Reaction score
isn't the best way of cavans by horsehair?

The Most Expensive, yet the best?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
These were most certainly Saks suits, I did not mistake that label. Also, I could care less about paying extra for just partial canvasing, I'd just buy fused then, so I always test by pinching between the button holde to see what's in between the fabric. These had that third layer in there. Also, much trimmer fit than most AB stuff. However, not all the black label suits are done this way.

Well, the lapels are a lot nicer on a partially-canvassed suits. If I had to choose, I'd go with partial. The lapels on fused suits make me cringe, so it would be worth a tiny premium. AB really isn't expensive, but the fit is crap. It's too bad cause they use some really nice fabrics.

Of course, I wouldn't actually buy anything that wasn't full canvas.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads