• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Arnold brandt suits

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fused, for sure. But seems to be a nice cut and is Loro Piana fabric. I picked up one for $200 at Off Fifth (they are having a $100 off all reg. price suits, by the way, at least at mine they are). Is this a keeper? (by the way, I like the fabric, and the cut other than I wish the arm holes were slightly higher). Keep in mind that I need about 3 more suits, so if I can find a good deal on one or two, that allows me to spend more on the others.

FCS

Reaction score
I think the chest is canvassed, if I remember correctly.

MikeF

Reaction score
Canadian-made, comparable in quality, perhaps, to U.S.-made Hugo Boss. I wouldn't pay more than US$200 unless you adore it.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't pay more than $200...
confused.gif
? I think this board is really funny. Arnold Brant's go for around 800 - $900 US in regular Saks stores. So, basically what you're saying is that you wouldn't pay more than 75% off retail price. This is what I then wonder: Do you say this because the value of the suit is only $200? Or because you know that you could get superior quality at a comparable price point (for example, a Canali at $400)? If it is the latter, then that just shows how well informed this board is -- and how poorly informed the rest of the market it (for example, why the hell are people buying Banana Republic suit for full price, when they could go to an outlet and get a Boss or a Canali for the same price or less???). But, my thoughts on the Arnold Brant. (1) The fabric is superior to Boss's. Brant uses Loro Piana 120s or better in almost all their suits. I actually picked up another one in Super 140s 5% cashmere for 200 as well (a black suit, for a wedding -- and I didn't want to pay up the wazzu for a black suit). Both the 140s and the Loro Piana have fantastic fabrics. (2) The construction is comparable to Boss, though I really like the cut a lot better. The jacket is a little shorter, the shoulders a dab narrower, and the cut a little more suppressed in the waist. (3) They actually have some really cool patterns. The black suit has the finest herringbone that you can barely see. But it creates a really rich black color that I just don't think the USA Boss's have. The other suit is a dark grey with an almost imperceptible (but just perceptible enough) blue windowpane pattern. Just a beautiful suit. (4) Though they are fused, the lapels have been shaped very well, and the three buttons are cut in such a way that if you leave the top button undone, it accentuates the roll a bit. (5) The fusing is very thin, comparable to Boss, which many people on this board claim does the best with fusing. I am very happy with the purchase and concur with the comparisons to Boss, though like I said, it has superior styling points. But the biggest thing is that the Boss's go for 499 at Off Fifth, while the Brant's go for 299. (I got it for 200 because of the 100 off deal). Spending 400 for the Boss's is just incomprehensible to me when another 100 can get you a Zileri, Canali, or Baldessarini. You know we really ought to start a list about the best suits in each price range. The older posts simply list "best suits" -- but to be honest, it does most people here no good to know that Oxxford has slightly more handwork than Kiton, and Kiton slightly more than Brioni. Or that Zileri Sartoria is better than Zileri white label. We all know these facts, and they are irrelevant because of the price points. Here's my sense of suits at certain price points: $1000 -- Oxxford (at Nieman Marcus Last Call, or Filene's Basement) $600 -- Hickey Freeman, Canali, Baldessarini; next tier Corneliani, Zileri (Off Fifth, Filenes, Hickey Outlet, Boss Outlet, etc.); lowest tier Mani (why?
confused.gif
??) $500 -- Burberry, Boss, Polo Blue Label (see above, though Blue Labels seem to be a rare find) $400 -- Gianfranco Ferre Studio (why would you buy this at this price point?) $300 -- Arnold Brant, Southwick; next tier Calvin Klein Collection, DKNY (with the CK being far superior IMO to the DKNY).

MikeF

Reaction score
Part of the problem is that US$200 is close to CAN$300, and the regular retail price on an Arnold Brandt suit in Canada is no more than CAN$900. Winners (Canada's Marshall's/TJ Maxx) has three or four Winners suits at CAN$350 right now, and they're not exactly flying out the door.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Prestige factors aside, I think that Arnold Brandt makes terrific suits in their price bracket, using much better materials and construction than found in their price bracket. The cuts are pretty good too, though I find them a little conservative for my taste. Then again, except for the occasional interview, I use my suits for social rather than business purposes.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MikeF -- people don't know who Arnold Brant is. At the Off Fifth Sale, the DKNY's for the same price are flying out the door compared to the Arnold Brants -- ditto for the Calvin Klein Collection. Ridiculous.

As for the conservative cut the last poster mentioned, I actually found just the opposite in the suits I got. I would describe the cut as "young conservative," meaning that they seem to fit my more athletic/lean build very well, but the fabrics are in grades and patterns that work very well in the business setting while not being simply navy/charcoal.

bryce330

Reaction score
Very interesting - I know next to nothing about Arnold Brant, but my general impression was that they were kind of a poor man's Hickey-Freeman (i.e. incredibly boring, overly boxy sack suits) but it sounds like their styling may be better than I thought. I am going to an Off 5th tonight or tomorrow (sale ends tomorrow) and will definitely check out the AB suits.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Arnold Bryant is Canadian designer (I believe). Here in Canada, its a label some what compareble to Hugo Boss Einstein line suits. But Hogo seems to cost $300CAD more than average AB suits.

Quality? I do not know. I have not tried them yet. But when I spoke with sale staff @ Harry Rosen who exclusively carries AB suits in Canada says that AB suits are OK, but he recommands his clients Boss suits over AB.

But $200 designer label suit is fantastic price if you ask me. I don't know how I can find a suit (the ones that I like and FITS well) in that price.

MikeF

Reaction score
MikeF -- people don't know who Arnold Brant is. At the Off Fifth Sale, the DKNY's for the same price are flying out the door compared to the Arnold Brants -- ditto for the Calvin Klein Collection. Ridiculous.

Arnold Brandt is a reasonably well-known name in Canada, and people still aren't buying it here.

By the way, there's no way an Arnold Brandt suit is equal in construction quality to Calvin Klein Collection. Don't misunderstand me: Calvin Klein Collection suits are nothing special. That said, they're at least comparable to Armani Collezioni, which I think everyone can agree exceeds both Hugo Boss and Arnold Brandt in construction quality.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, there's no way an Arnold Brandt suit is equal in construction quality to Calvin Klein Collection. Â Don't misunderstand me: Calvin Klein Collection suits are nothing special. Â That said, they're at least comparable to Armani Collezioni, which I think everyone can agree exceeds both Hugo Boss and Arnold Brandt in construction quality.
I just recently picked up my MTM Armani Collezioni suit and it is fabalous. You cannot compare the feel and workmanship of this suit and other fused and canvassed suits. Believe me, my suit fits like a glove and feels like a feather. Brioni got nothin on me
tounge.gif

FCS

Reaction score
By the way, there's no way an Arnold Brandt suit is equal in construction quality to Calvin Klein Collection. Â Don't misunderstand me: Calvin Klein Collection suits are nothing special. Â That said, they're at least comparable to Armani Collezioni, which I think everyone can agree exceeds both Hugo Boss and Arnold Brandt in construction quality.
I just recently picked up my MTM Armani Collezioni suit and it is fabalous. Â You cannot compare the feel and workmanship of this suit and other fused and canvassed suits. Â Believe me, my suit fits like a glove and feels like a feather. Â Brioni got nothin on me
tounge.gif

How much is Collezioni MTM in TO?

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I paid $3100 CAD. Its the 3rd best (at least S150) fabric out of 8 or 9 fabrics.

FCS

Reaction score
Wow, is that the price before or after sales taxes? Milano, did you get the fabrics as jobber's or from Armani's inventory? What mill is it from?

And I'm guessing this is from Rosen? I think they run Collezioni trunk sale a while ago.

MikeF

Reaction score
I just recently picked up my MTM Armani Collezioni suit and it is fabalous. You cannot compare the feel and workmanship of this suit and other fused and canvassed suits. Believe me, my suit fits like a glove and feels like a feather. Brioni got nothin on me
A Brioni would be much, much better made, but if you like your Armani, good for you. There's no debating that the construction is mediocre, however - no matter how much you like it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads