1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Arnie's the last at no 10

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by raphael, Jun 26, 2007.

1. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

@JLibourel

Gott im Himmel, wir haben sehr gern unser Stadthalter! Als er jung war, wurde er der schoenste Muskelmann der Welt, denn wurde ein beruhmte Schauspielder, und hat er Regierungkraft gestudiert, und nun ist er ein grosser Stadhalter.

Arnold, Arnold ueber alles,
    Uber alles in der welt!
    Wenn es stetzt zum schutz und trutz,
    Bruderlich zusammenhelt!
    Von der Klamath bis an Calexico,
    Von des Ozeans bis an Nevada,
    Arnold, Arnold ueber alles.
    Uber alles in der welt!

(With apologies for my fractured German! Nimmer hat ich Deutsch im schule gestudiert.)

Translation from a non native Englisch speaker but native German.

Oh my god, we love our governor. When he was young, he became the most handsome muscle-man in the world and a famous actor. He studied politics and learnded about the power of his clan(Kennedy). He is a great governor.

Arnold, Arnold forever,
    over everybody in the world
    When it stands brotherly in protection and shelter
    From Klamath to Calexio
    From the ocean to Nevada
    Arnold, Arnold...

I didnt study German since school.

Interessanter Beitrag. Aber Arnold gehört schon noch uns - den Österreichern.

Auch wenn die Kaiserhymne bis 1918 unsere offizielle Hymne war, singen wir seit 1946

Land der Berge, Land am Strome,
    Land der Äcker, Land der Dome.
    Land der Hämmer, zukunftsreich.
    Heimat bist du großer Söhne,
    Volk begnadet für das Schöne,
    Vielgerühmtes Österreich,
    Vielgerühmtes Österreich.

Ihr German ist nicht so fractured, aber beim Geschichtsstudium happert es noch ein wenig.

Interesting article - But Arnold belongs to us - the Austrians

Though the emperor's anthem(Haydn) was the official national anthem until 1918, since 1946 we sing:

Country full of mountains, Country along the river(Danube)
    Country of fields(acres), Country of cathedrals
    Country of sledges for a promising future
    Nation exceptionally gifted with beauty,
    Highly boasted Austria

Your German is not so fractured, but your studies in history are sort of poor.

2. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

What is absolutely great with national anthems is how objective they really are!!!
    Rule Britannia,Land of hope and glory,etc...[​IMG]
    Concerning the Hasbourg family ,i do admit a certain lack of knowledge even if Metternich the Great Chancellor whoo carved post Napoleon Europe and Franz-Ferdinand are in my mind for obvious reasons....
    Are you really proud of Arnold or is it a joke?
    If i were Austrian ,some greats musicians such as Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and others will spring to my mind more than a steroid-fed third rate actor...
    There is a tradition in California with bad actors becoming politicians but Arnold has done it without McCarthysm....

3. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Are you really proud of Arnold or is it a joke?

Proud is not the word, though Arnold can be proud of his sucess.

4. paul_lynch

paul_lynch Member

What is absolutely great with national anthems is how objective they really are!!!
    Rule Britannia,Land of hope and glory,etc...[​IMG]

The real English national anthem is Jerusalem, in the minds of many. Better the visionary Blake than that soap box stuff.

5. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Jerusalem is beautiful with its satanic mills but it's a bit WI for my liking!!!!

6. paul_lynch

paul_lynch Member

But since it was adopted by Monty Python I think the WI are out of the picture :).

7. paul_lynch

paul_lynch Member

His height seems to be controversial.

Blair is supposed to be 6', or a tad under, which would seem to settle the Arnold controversy.

8. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Arnie has done very well for himself from a bodybuilder on steroids with a heavy Austrian accent to governor of California....
    He was and is a terrible actor and i do hope,for California, that he is a better politician..
    This will be a real sucess story if he wasn't a very famous actor in a state where power and image are mixed and if he didn't marry into a very rich and well connected family...
    Nowhere else in the world ,anybody would have taken him seriously but California and some lobbies did...
    Californians were also fed up with the Gray period...

9. whacked

whacked Senior member

He was and is a terrible actor and i do hope,for California, that he is a better politician..
    Oh come on, Arnold isn't that bad of an actor. I consider him superior to other muscle men on screen of his times (Stallone, Segal...). The Terminator 1&2 remain 2 of my favorite action flicks of all time. [​IMG]

10. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

He is a terrible actor ...
    Even my wife who does like Vin Diesel find him shockingly bad.....
    I do find him as grotesque as Jean-Claude Vandamme ,the muscle from Brussels...
    His only good role was in terminator playing a near mute killer android!!!!!!
    In five minutes ,you're going to compare it to Newman,Brando,Pacino ,De Niro or Spacey!!!!!
    Compared to him ,Ronald reagan and his B/D/E/Z movies was a method actor....

11. Philip1978

Philip1978 Senior member

Even my wife who does like Vin Diesel find him shockingly bad.....
    I do find him as grotesque as Jean-Claude Vandamme ,the muscle from Brussels...
    His only good role was in terminator playing a near mute killer android!!!!!!
    In five minutes ,you're going to compare it to Newman,Brando,Pacino ,De Niro or Spacey!!!!!
    Compared to him ,Ronald reagan and his B/D/E/Z movies was a method actor....

Arnold was an awesome actor, in the sense that he's not supposed to anothy hopkins. The roles he chose where perfect for him and in that sense an awesome actor. [​IMG]

12. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

ok,he is a great actor...Kindergarden cop ..Great delivery ,great comedy...
    And i thought Canadians were the ones with the brain!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]
    What don't you elect Pee Wee as a prime minister to replace Harper? He is also a great actor and i do think after a certain night out,he has got some free time on his hands!!!!!!!![​IMG]

13. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Motherfucking Predator man. He was incredible.

14. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Terminator 1&2 remain 2 of my favorite action flicks of all time. [​IMG]

Hasta la vista, baby

15. TurboTropic

TurboTropic Senior member

Motherfucking Predator man. He was incredible.

This man knows what he's talking about.

16. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

It is getting scarier by the minute.....
    Conan the barbarian ,Predator man ,Terminator ,i can't deal with all these art & essay psychological thrillers!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

17. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

Predator, Running Man, T1 and 2, Total Recall, Conan. These definitely stand up today.

18. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Arnold is on par with Dirk Bogarde.

19. Philip1978

Philip1978 Senior member

What don't you elect Pee Wee as a prime minister to replace Harper? He is also a great actor and i do think after a certain night out,he has got some free time on his hands!!!!!!!![​IMG]

Somtimes I can't tell the difference between the two. [​IMG]

20. Panzeraxe II

Panzeraxe II Senior member

The primary job of an actor isn't to win an Oscar but to entertain an audience. By that measure, Arnold was a great actor.

Btw, I sincerely doubt that an unknown teenager who came to America not knowing a single soul and developed into the biggest Hollywood actor of his time and the Governor of the most important American state can be called "dumb." Looks (and accents) are deceiving.