• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Armpit tears??

nizzer

Reaction score
Can anyone advise as to what aspect of a shirt's fit would cause tears in the armpits?? I am not overly active in my damn suits (courtroom attorney) but I have found that three of my shirts, two RTW and one made to fit, have developed tears in the armpits. What's a man to do?

Thanks for any advice.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A) Cheap shirts

Do you wear an undershirt?

nizzer

Reaction score
I do not wear an undershirt. Yes some are not of the finest cloth. I was wondering more though if it has to do with the length of the shoulders or what.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wear an unershirt and by better shirts...

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The under shirt is irrelevant so do not start wearing them.

Try getting better fitting shirts.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OP, when you write tears do you mean the stitching is coming undone, or is the fabric actually ripping?

Rudolf

Reaction score
If it doesn't feel tight then it isn't the construction but the quality of the cloth. Fabric also have a self life and the older cloths can rip easily.

nizzer

Reaction score
It's not the stitching, the actual fabric has torn. I ask mainly b/c one of the shirts fits so well I've gotten compliments on it. That was until the damn tears!

stubloom

Reaction score
it's not unusual, for some individuals, to find tears developing in the underarms of their shirts. Typically, these tears develop because of one or a combination of the following:

* acids and chloride salts in perspiration

* metallic salts in antiperspirants

* ingredients in certain medications.

As regards shirts that currently display tears or rips, I'd suggest that you toss them.

To reduce the possibility of further deterioration in shirts that do not currently show signs of tearing or ripping, I'd suggest that you soak your shirts for 3 or 4 hours in a solution of ammonia and water (1 to 5 proportion) prior to laundering them at home or prior to dropping them off at your "professional dry cleaner".

For more information on this subject...

Blog post: Are the underarms of your shirts deteriorating?

Link: http://www.ravefabricare.com/true-quality-cleaning/2011/2/16/are-the-underarms-of-your-shirts-deteriorating.aspx

Last edited:

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
perspiration is a strong chemical, it weakens the fabric faster than you think.
the shirt that fits so well receives more strain from arm movement than a looser one.
enough said?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

marblehouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 60 17.2%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 117 33.6%
  • 8”

Votes: 104 29.9%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.3%
  • 9”

Votes: 15 4.3%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.0%