• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Armpit sweat in fitted shirts

Night

Reaction score
Hi,

Looking around the forums I see that armpit sweat is a fairly common problem. Fortunately I am only mildly afflicted, however I have recently started to take the effort to become a bit more stylish and wearing fitted shirts at work is one part. At the moment they sit flush under my arms and are making contact with my armpit when my arms are down and have very little room between fabric and skin.

I wouldn't say I overly sweat, however given the proximity of my shirt to my armpit any sweat is immediately visible, and because the fabric is flush to the skin it makes it hotter under my arms which just makes it worse.

Whats the best way to give myself a bit of room under the armpit? is it due to the shirt being too small around the shoulders resulting in the tightness? Or should I wear an undershirt which covers my armpits?

Thanks.

Erenoth

Reaction score
If you aren't against it- getting rid of, or trimming your underarm hair will do wonders for the amount of perspiration in the region. Also, look into getting a clinical deodorant that shrinks your pores instead of just clogging them. Personally, I've been using this for the past month, and after a day or two of applying, haven't sweated at all.

http://www.certaindri.com/Pages/CD_Home

I'm fairly active, and still don't sweat under my arms even after an hour of strength training. Also, in case you aren't aware, Aluminum Zirconium Tetrachlorohydrex Gly is the main ingredient in most over-the-counter deodorants, and results in dingy yellow stains after a few wears. Avoid.

Chris

commedesformes

Reaction score
aluminum free deodorant + soak shirts in oxyclean

Last edited:

nystyle86

Reaction score
A combination of these should solve your problem

1. shave/trim down armpit hair regularly
2. must use an antiperspirant and not just a deodorant. (Try several until you find one that works best with your body's chemistry. Deodorants mask smell of sweat, antiperspirants stop sweating for x amount of hours.)
3. wearing a cotton t-shirt serves as an absorbent barrier for sweat between your pits and shirts.
If all that fails, start looking at clinical strength antiperspirants. If clinical strength fails and you have money to throw around, get botox shots into your pits and you're guaranteed not to sweat from there for a long time.

I never wear my shirts without a t-shirt under because you're guaranteed to have your shirts stained. Antiperspirants permanently stain fabric so t-shirt pits always look yellowish. I rather stain my ts than shirts.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

tanxp

Reaction score
In my opinion, wearing an undershirt with short sleeves to catch sweat is counter-intuitive. Barring sweat from some sort of social awkwardness, you sweat because you're hot. If you add an undershirt, you will be hotter and sweat more. Catching sweat in your undershirt? Gross. So you make yourself a nice little damp pad of sweat which will better support the bacteria in your armpits, which then makes you more smelly, faster.

A long time ago, I switched over to a deodorant, and completely abandoned antiperspirant. Antiperspirants are arguably bad for you anyway. Your body sweats as a natural reaction. Also, AP's turn your shirts yellow and cake up/rub off on your shirts. With just a deodorant, I've noticed that I actually sweat less. Sweat also dries up off of my shirts fairly quickly since it's just one layer of clothing. The only downside of just a deodorant is that the odor prevention may not last all day if I've gotten sweaty that day, i.e. walking on a hot day. However, a quick reapply and I'm good to go.

I've been using Herban Cowboy for years and its the only kind I buy. Other brands have caused irritation or didn't work well and I've just thrown 3/4 full sticks away.

Liet

Reaction score
In high school and college I perpetually had this problem. Then I made two major changes:

1. Trimmed down my armpit hair. There's no need for insulation there anyways!
2. Switched to a non-antiperspirant deodorant. Turns out a lot of guys have a reaction to the aluminum in them which irritates the skin and creates more sweat. Besides, aluminum might be implicated in a number of a long-term health issues.

These two changes and now I don't even bother with "undershirts". Don't need them. Hardly sweat under there even after a hard day at the gym.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads