• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Armhole not correct on MTM shirt

Aryeah

Reaction score
When ordering some MTM shirts, the armholes were way too small for me to comfortably wear my shirts. If I lift my arms the bottom of the armholes rub against my armpits and the entire shirt pulls.. If a maker states to measure from the armhole seam to sleeve seam, then why do they consider the sholder crease to be the armhole seam.

A crease in a shirt is not a seam. A seam is where 2 peices are joined together to create one peice. Am I being unreaasonable? or is this the standard for armhole measurments ( Armhole crease to sleeve seam)

Aryeah

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The joys of online ordering I suspect.

bant

Reaction score
your shirt should be comfortable, end of story.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where did you order from? Did you have someone measure you or did you put in measurements online and hope for the best? If you ordered from a local shirtmaker or an online maker that travels to your area, I'd talk to them when you can get an appointment and show them the issue.

For online MTM, I'd decide whether you like the product otherwise enough to continue working with them. If so, email them, ideally with some pictures and explain the problem. See what they do for you on the next shirt. If not, I'd look for a local shirtmaker or travelling online MTM service. You do tend to get better results when a professional measures you.

Aryeah

Reaction score
I ordered the shirts from Modern Tailor. I put in measurements from a very well fitting shirt, it is the way they state how to measure the armhole which was off in my measurments. The rest of the measurments were spot on..

I have emailed them, they have replied, so that is good. I will send them some pictures of the problem areas tonight, so they can determine if it was their fault or my fault.

If they don't help to resolve the problem, I will go with a bespoke professional in my area..

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good luck. Keep us posted and hope it works out for you.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If they don't help to resolve the problem, I will go with a bespoke professional in my area..

Would be the best thing to do. Avoids all the headaches (and pictures of disappointing fits posted here) which come with self-measuring.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Would be the best thing to do. Avoids all the headaches (and pictures of disappointing fits posted here) which come with self-measuring.

Mostly agree with this. That said, if they fix the problem (some places will give you a free shirt so he may not pay for the next attempt) and the shirt otherwise fits great, then he may have a good setup provided he likes the fabric, construction and price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads