Armbands and pocketsquares.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by 1Dgaf, Oct 15, 2004.

1. 1Dgaf

1Dgaf Senior member

Hello. 1. I've just bought a suit and have found my shirt cuffs stick out from the suit's sleeves a bit too much. Â Would armbands would keep the shirt sleeves up, helping the cuffs protrude the right distance (or closer to it)? I was thinking of these, since I can't find anyone else who sells them: Â http://www.eshopone.com/smx/lambournes/armbands/ I don't think I'd look too much of a plonker, though advice on that would be appreciated too. 2. Â Is it permissable to add colour to a suit (say dark navy) by using a pocketsquare, but without wearing a tie? Â The handerchief and shirt would 'tone'. Just found this online: http://www.neckties.com/foldinginfo.htm You may know it already, but I thought I'd bring something to the table with my first post. Thanks in advance for advice.

2. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I would think it better to have your sleeve length altered than using armbands. But are you sure they come out too far? The proper length for shirt sleeves really has nothing to do with your jacket, but rather your arm. The shirt should fit snugly onto the end of your wrist even when your arm is bent and you have a jacket on. Perhaps your jacket length is too short? Still if you must Albert Thurston offers them. As to the pocket square, I would say most certainly yes. If you're wearing a suit/sport coat you not only could wear a square, but should, even without a tie.

3. Kaga

Kaga Senior member

Ah so ka.

Thank you, AlanC. I had also been curious to learn people's thoughts on that question. But does a pocket square also go with a dark cape, a lace jabot, and the multicolored braces I must wear in Kitchen Stadium?

4. 1Dgaf

1Dgaf Senior member

Thanks for the reply.

I'll see how the shirts fit when I get home.  I don't think the jacket is too short; when standing with my arms at my sides the ends of the sleeves drop just below my wrist bones.  

Can you recommend any websites with pictures showing how low jacket sleeves should hang? I'm somewhat new to trying to dress properly, having spent much of my life wearing whatever was functional and, on rare occasions, even clean.

The reason I won't have the shirts altered is they're not suffciently expensive enough to warrant it, but since they're still reasonable shirts, I don't want to throw them away either.

If I might be so bold as to throw a new question in here:

Man + suit + shawl = eccentric sub-continental elegance or gender-confusing nightmare?

5. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I would think it would be essential, particularly lace squares in order to jibe with your jabot.

6. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Another part of the problem of too-long sleeves that's rarely addressed is that too-blousy sleeves will cause problems as well, by not allowing the jacket sleeve to slide back down after the arm has been extended. You may want to check this.

7. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

(AlanC @ 15 Oct. 2004, 07:28) As to the pocket square, I would say most certainly yes. If you're wearing a suit/sport coat you not only could wear a square, but should, even without a tie.
    Ah so ka. Thank you, AlanC. I had also been curious to learn people's thoughts on that question. But does a pocket square also go with a dark cape, a lace jabot, and the multicolored braces I must wear in Kitchen Stadium?
    Just make sure you're wearing something to match whatever colour of Bell pepper you wish to chomp. koji

8. Kaga

Kaga Senior member

(Kaga @ 15 Oct. 2004, 07:31) Ah so ka. But does a pocket square also go with a dark cape, a lace jabot, and the multicolored braces I must wear in Kitchen Stadium?
    Just make sure you're wearing something to match whatever colour of Bell pepper you wish to chomp. koji
    Koji-sama: There can be only one (color of bell pepper). Sou desu-ne indeed. On an armband-related note: I believe Bromleys, www.classicwardrobe.co.uk, carries St. George armbands (supposedly good quality armbands). Tell them Kaga sent you (perhaps I will have a multicoloured pair made up to match my braces). Alternatively, you might Google that set of terms to see if a retailer closer to home carries them. However, I agree that sleeve shortening is a better long-term option.

9. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

It sounds as though your shirtcuffs are too large for your wrists (circumference-wise).

10. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Regardless of your sleeve length this is very likely the case. I recently moved the cuff buttons (well, my lovely wife did [​IMG] ) on my dress shirts. It helped things greatly.

11. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

Is this guy serious? I think it's funny that he's taken on the Iron Chef persona, in addition this guy really knows what he's talking about, and in previous threads has given great advice. While reading his posts, does anyone else hear the voice of the Iron Chef guy in thier head??

12. Kaga

Kaga Senior member

(Kaga @ 16 Oct. 2004, 01:29) Koji-sama: There can be only one (color of bell pepper). Sou desu-ne indeed. On an armband-related note: I believe Bromleys, www.classicwardrobe.co.uk, carries St. George armbands (supposedly good quality armbands). Tell them Kaga sent you (perhaps I will have a multicoloured pair made up to match my braces). Alternatively, you might Google that set of terms to see if a retailer closer to home carries them. However, I agree that sleeve shortening is a better long-term option.
    Is this guy serious? Â Â I think it's funny that he's taken on the Iron Chef persona, in addition this guy really knows what he's talking about, and in previous threads has given great advice. Â While reading his posts, does anyone else hear the voice of the Iron Chef guy in thier head??
    YOMIGAERU IRON CHAPS..........* *no posters were insulted in the writing of this post.

13. Charybdis

Charybdis Member

I believe that you can also get armbands at J. Squeeze on 44th street.

Also, I've seen pocket squares worn sans tie (by Style Forum's own Jester) and it seems work quite well. It seems to make it clear that you didn't merely slip off your tie after work.

14. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

Didn't we settle the whole armband issue a while ago? The conclusion was that they should be reserved for riverboat gamblers only.

15. 1Dgaf

1Dgaf Senior member

Surely that's part of the appeal? Actually, I prefer them because I associate it with newsmen in 1930s/40s American films.