Armani Ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by StewF18, Jun 2, 2005.

1. StewF18

StewF18 Member

On a recent trip to Saks in NYC the only ties I liked style wise was Armani.

Whats the general feeling on these boards on construction and value?

Thanks.

2. Roy

Roy Senior member

I have a few, I like the design. But i've found that they don't tie a nice knot and I don't really like the silk.

3. Matt

Matt [email protected]

agree.

mediocre.

4. trogdor

trogdor Senior member

Ditto, though my experience is probably fairly limited. I thought they felt a bit thin, and could use a more substantial lining.

5. Sustanon 250

Sustanon 250 Member

Extremely thin ties - suitable only for a four-in-hand. The price definitely doesn't justify the quality.

Sustanon

6. Roy

Roy Senior member

(Roy @ June 02 2005,14:40) I have a few, I like the design. But i've found that they don't tie a nice knot and I don't really like the silk.
    Ditto, though my experience is probably fairly limited. I thought they felt a bit thin, and could use a more substantial lining.
    True, they are very thin. The lining is very thin and the silk is very light.

7. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

They are supposed to be thin, light silk, with a light lining. This doesn't take away from the quality at all. Hermes makes a similarly light tie, and they have one of the best quality ties on the market.

Either brand could easily make a 7 fold, but instead opted for a light tie. The purpose is that when you wear a light tie like this, it is supposed to feel like your not wearing a tie at all.

8. Roy

Roy Senior member

But at least Hermes uses nice silk and they tie a nice knot. Armani is very mediocre.

9. Etruscan

Etruscan Senior member

They never seem to knot well, or at any rate, as you'd like them to knot. I avoid them unless I find the fabric design (which isn't often, as I seldom favor printed ties) or the price is irresistible.

10. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

I have about 3 Armain ties.  All of them make tiny knot.  The matterial is very soft.  They are better quality then Hugo Boss ties, I think.

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

They look good with Armani suits like nothing else. What can I say? IMHO, the Armani draped silhouette is sort of the American Trad, Italian style...

12. Zubberah

Zubberah Senior member

I'm on the record as saying that I think they are the ugliest ties ever made. Same style/look over the past 20 years (which is probably GA's point). I would never wear a beige, grey, brown tie, ever. Why are all his colours so muted and bland? Accept that some would and others love them. Out of the 100s seen over past 15 years only ever liked one - all black cashmere with 0.5cm jet black silk diagonal stripes. Quality-wise (yes I have been given a couple as gifts, which were quickly onsold to eBay) is just as bad as Gucci (flimsy lining, thin silks, crappy knots).

13. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior member

Agree - he makes some horridly bland ties. I don't think I've ever seen a pink/baby blue/orange Armani tie in my life.

Panzer

14. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Armani is like Garanimals in sludge colors for men who don't know how to dress --- olive, brown, dull grey -- perhaps why he is so popular.

15. Charley

Charley Senior member

The style is bad because it does not include Baby Blue combined with Orange? That should be a PLUS for Armani sensibility. Maybe the post was satire?