• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Armani seems a poor value these days...

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I'm reluctant to pick on someone who has done so much for menswear but I was at Saks today and I saw the regular Collezioni suits going for $2,000 (!) and the construction quality was abysmal (machined buttonhholes that were horribly misaligned, poor collar construction.

GA really seems to be coasting although they do have a luxury line with some handmade features for $3,000. And the black label of course.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Value is a very subjective term. I don't buy anything anymore unless it has value. Having said that, I still buy Armani, although not as often as before, and there are certain items of theirs that i won't touch (knits, shirts, suits).

Three years ago, almost everything I bought was Armani. Having now been educated by the forum, my tastes have changed immeasurably towards high-quality and hand-made goods. I'd never buy another armani suit, but I bought a really gorgeous black wool & angora overcoat this year. The fit is absolutely perfect (very slim) and I think it's worth every penny of the 2.5k (cdn$ with taxes) that I paid for it.

For casualwear, Armani still kicks ass in the pants department. I've got ~10 pairs of flat front, creaseless pants in my closet that I still wear quite often, even though I did a big transition to Borrelli jackets and MTM pants with an incotex cut. Average price? Probably $350 cdn. Cheap? No. Value? Yes. Btw, I've had most of these pants since 2002 and they still look great. Their shirts and knits are absolute garbage though. Even when I like their sweaters for instance, I won't buy them anymore because i know they don't last.

My worst purchase was the black MTM Armani suit I bought before I knew any better. I brought it with me to a wedding a few weeks ago and when I put it on to go to the reception, I couldn't believe how bad it looked. The shoulders were kinda lumpy and the fit just wasn't as I remembered it, or maybe I'm just more picky about fit these days. Regardless, I took it off and changed back in to what I had been wearing for the actual ceremony (borrelli jacket and incotex pants).

Every time I look at that suit I now think what a waste of money it was. I don't think that when looking at the pants or overcoat, however. GA is like any other designer, they make some nice stuff and some crap. They still produce some knock-out items imo. I bought a pleated silk & wool scarf this winter that is absolutely gorgeous. Although I felt the pain of the 450 it cost, it puts a smile on my face every time i see myself in the mirror wearing it. And I know I have the only one in montreal :p

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I guess my concern is that many people will drop $2K on these poorly made suits thinking they "got the best" and be really unhappy over the long term. It's got to hurt GA's brand. I notice that no one really buys anything from the GA shop within a shop at the Atlanta Saks. It's a ghost town even on Saturdays. Same at NM for the most part.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I guess my concern is that many people will drop $2K on these poorly made suits thinking they "got the best" and be really unhappy over the long term. It's got to hurt GA's brand. I notice that no one really buys anything from the GA shop within a shop at the Atlanta Saks. It's a ghost town even on Saturdays. Same at NM for the most part.

It's like the people who buy a Rolex and think they have the best watch in the world. Most well known? Sure. Best? Not by a country mile.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Armani is pretty poor especially after you know better you realize how big of a 'scam' it is. Armani is the red bull of beverages, it contains nothing but sugar water with less caffiene than a cup of coffee yet they have "BRANDED" the product so well than people pay ridiculous money for the perceived "branded' attributes. Rolex actually makes a decent watch I can't say that *decent* about Armani suits

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember a guy in Filene's Basement (Chicago) with an arm full of Armani Collezioni shirts - when the checkout clerk told him "nice choice" he responded with "only the best for me" - I almost laughed seeing as there was a rack full of marked down Charvet, Borrelli, and Domenico Vacca goods that he must have "mistakenly passed up".

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The conventionla wisdom here is that Armani is over-priced and under-quality. I agree. I've got a nice black label Armani leather overcoat and several sweater plus a lot of socks and a wool sportscoat. I got rid of all my Armani shirts, except for one or two.

stach

Reaction score
I have a feeling he's licensed out so many of his lines that he's lost quality control. Plus he's perceived in the fashion world as being pretty creaky at this point. He had a very good run though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads